Hair type advice (newbie - link to pic)

WonderfullyKamWonderfullyKam Registered Users Posts: 30
Hi curlies,

I'm trying to embrace my natural hair after over a decade of straightening which has damaged my hair immensely.

There's a link to picture below of my second day hair. It's usually much bigger and very dry but after a bit of research I tried the LOC method yesterday, applying the oil and cream using the praying hands application method and this is the result.

My hair has felt a bit greasy today so I'm trying to establish my hair type so I can get the right products. I thought I would be in the 3 category but looking at pictures my boyfriend has suggested I'm a type 2.

Any help from you guys would be really appreciated.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks x
2c/3a, fine-medium strands, high density, normal-high porosity.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair looks similar to mine. I would say that you are a mix of 2a and 2b.

When trying to decide on products, more important than wave pattern is the hair diameter (coarse, medium, or fine) and hair porosity (low or high). High-porosity hair generally likes protein, while low-porosity hair is more protein sensitive (though fine low-porosity hair can sometimes tolerate quite a bit of protein). If your hair is damaged, I would suggest looking for products that contain protein, as that will help repair the hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso

When trying to decide on products, more important than wave pattern is the hair diameter (coarse, medium, or fine) and hair porosity (low or high). High-porosity hair generally likes protein, while low-porosity hair is more protein sensitive (though fine low-porosity hair can sometimes tolerate quite a bit of protein). If your hair is damaged, I would suggest looking for products that contain protein, as that will help repair the hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WonderfullyKamWonderfullyKam Registered Users Posts: 30
    Therese1 wrote: »

Thanks so much for your advice. I just did the porosity test and the tips of my hair stayed towards the top of the water then it stretched down to the bottom of the glass with the ends hitting the bottom of the glass. Does this mean it's right in the middle of the two? (sorry if this is a silly question but i watched some youtube videos and they were all either 1 or the other in terms of results).

+ in terms of density the tests suggests that i'm medium-high density
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    The water float test is pretty worthless, and so are most of the other tests.

If you put in a tiny bit of something (cream, conditioner, etc.) into your hair, does is get absorbed? Does it seem to just disappear? Or can you put a tiny bit of something into your hair and spread it all throughout? Are you always reaching for more product, or do you have to be careful not to use too much? If stuff seems to get absorbed and disappear quickly into your hair, then you've got high porosity hair. If you have to be careful not to use too much, you have low porosity hair. If it's somewhere in between, then it's normal porosity.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WonderfullyKamWonderfullyKam Registered Users Posts: 30
    janiegirl wrote: »
    The water float test is pretty worthless, and so are most of the other tests.

If you put in a tiny bit of something (cream, conditioner, etc.) into your hair, does is get absorbed? Does it seem to just disappear? Or can you put a tiny bit of something into your hair and spread it all throughout? Are you always reaching for more product, or do you have to be careful not to use too much? If stuff seems to get absorbed and disappear quickly into your hair, then you've got high porosity hair. If you have to be careful not to use too much, you have low porosity hair. If it's somewhere in between, then it's normal porosity.

Thank you. I'm still learning about what does and doesn't work so that's all very helpful =]. So I'm guessing the ponytail method for density is also worthless? That suggested my hair is high density but I can also see my scalp easily enough.

With your points in mind I'd say I have high porosity hair.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    No, the ponytail density test is pretty good, but that also depends on the fineness or coarseness of the hair. My hair is normal density (you can see my scalp where the hair is parted and where I have a cowlick, but otherwise you can't) but because my hair so so fine, my ponytail is quite skinny. If I had coarser hair but the same amount then I'd have a thicker ponytail.

Just from looking at your picture, I think you have normal to coarse strands, and lots of density. I would agree with the 2A or 2B curl pattern, but you may be surprised at how much curlier your hair can become with the right treatment.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file