Overwhelmed newbie-2b/c, fine, high porosity, medium density

hannahkay816hannahkay816 Registered Users Posts: 1
I've been trying to search, read, educate, etc. but there is so much information and at times it seems conflicting and I am overwhelmed and confused. I'm looking to find cleanser, conditioner, styling, etc. products for my dry, frizzy, very easily weighed down hair. I don't know if I should use sulfates or not, proteins or not, silicone or not. As my hair is very dry, I try to use moisturizing products (with shea butter, oils) but then my hair becomes so soft that it will not hold it's curl. If I use a styling product that has too much hold, my hair is very crunchy and the curl pattern is more wavy and less curly, which makes my hair looks stringy. Ugh, can you help me try to figure this out? Also, I tried looking at which products people use with a similar hair type to mine but I can't figure out what they are as everyone seems to use abbreviations.

Comments

• Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Registered Users Posts: 124 Curl Neophyte
    Don't be overwhelmed, take it easy and step by step. First you need to figure out your hair porosity, thickness and density with that information, read on topics related to your hair's qualities.
    Second step will be to find products suited for your type. Get sulfate free or switch to co washing, get hydrating products but stay away from oils and butters. There are lighter oils you may benefit from but to start try to avoid them until you figure out what your hair likes. You may benefit from protein but I wouldn't start with that, you can do a protein treatment later on.
    On styling products avoid alcohol and silicone, and try with a medium hold gel to see how that works.
    Good luck in your journey :)
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Registered Users Posts: 124 Curl Neophyte
    Don't be overwhelmed, take it easy and step by step. First you need to figure out your hair porosity, thickness and density with that information, read on topics related to your hair's qualities.
    Second step will be to find products suited for your type. Get sulfate free or switch to co washing, get hydrating products but stay away from oils and butters. There are lighter oils you may benefit from but to start try to avoid them until you figure out what your hair likes. You may benefit from protein but I wouldn't start with that, you can do a protein treatment later on.
    On styling products avoid alcohol and silicone, and try with a medium hold gel to see how that works.
    Good luck in your journey :)
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Regarding sulfates and silicones, I would stay away from them. Silicones usually require sulfates to remove, and the sulfates dry your hair out. However, most of us on the board use a sulfate poo to clarify our hair every month or so. We normally follow this with a deep conditioning treatment (just your regular conditioner allowed to sit on your hair from 10-30 minutes) because the sulfate poos strip everything off the hair.

Most people with fine hair find that shampoo is required to keep the hair from being weighed down. Thicker hair can handle co-washing (washing with conditioner) better than fine hair. So I would look for a gentle sulfate-free shampoo. Most of us with fine hair shampoo about twice a week, I would say.

If your hair is high porosity, there is a good chance that it will like protein. I would look for some protein-rich products and see how those work with your hair. If your hair becomes strawlike and brittle, that is the usual sign of protein overload.

I would just try various products until you find some that work with your hair. The unfortunate thing with hair is that everyone's is different, and the process is all trial and error. So it can take a long time to find what works with your hair. I would say that half the battle is technique, and half the battle is products. Both are important.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Regarding sulfates and silicones, I would stay away from them. Silicones usually require sulfates to remove, and the sulfates dry your hair out. However, most of us on the board use a sulfate poo to clarify our hair every month or so. We normally follow this with a deep conditioning treatment (just your regular conditioner allowed to sit on your hair from 10-30 minutes) because the sulfate poos strip everything off the hair.

Most people with fine hair find that shampoo is required to keep the hair from being weighed down. Thicker hair can handle co-washing (washing with conditioner) better than fine hair. So I would look for a gentle sulfate-free shampoo. Most of us with fine hair shampoo about twice a week, I would say.

If your hair is high porosity, there is a good chance that it will like protein. I would look for some protein-rich products and see how those work with your hair. If your hair becomes strawlike and brittle, that is the usual sign of protein overload.

I would just try various products until you find some that work with your hair. The unfortunate thing with hair is that everyone's is different, and the process is all trial and error. So it can take a long time to find what works with your hair. I would say that half the battle is technique, and half the battle is products. Both are important.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file