We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

Cultural appropriation?

washingtonwashington Posts: 1Registered Users
Is it cultural appropriation for me (a young white girl) to use products targeted for African American women with natural hair?

I was planning on trying SheaMoisture when my current curl cream ran out because coconut oil calms my frizz. But then I stumbled on the latest controversy about SheaMoisture moving away from their base of African American women by advertising towards white women with significantly less curly hair. I don't want to contribute to that betrayal of their base, so I wanted to hear someone else's opinion.

Comments

• fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    Definitely not. Just use whatever products work for you!

People might be angry at Shea Moisture for their recent ad campaign, but they are still a black-owned business, and I'm sure those same people like the idea of a black-owned business being successful and making money.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
  • fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    Definitely not. Just use whatever products work for you!

People might be angry at Shea Moisture for their recent ad campaign, but they are still a black-owned business, and I'm sure those same people like the idea of a black-owned business being successful and making money.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 279Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We won't know what you're using! lol. Besides, appropriation is taking something and acting like it's the new thing that you came up with. Usually with no respect to the actual originator. Getting your Shea on isn't the before mentioned type situation.
    Kayla
    Youtube - Blog
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, Low Porosity/MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file