Shea Moisture Ad Blowup

AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So Shea Moisture is catching hell for an ad that featured two white women complaining about their hair hate problems. One lady has straight blonde hair which most people consider ideal. Anywho, if you read most news articles the first lady is described as AA or black but with deep rooted issues of colorism and good hair that was no help that she is light skin with loose curls. People were mad that there were no kinky haired women in the ad who are the bulk of their customer base. And people have been alleging formula changes to cater to looser textures which the company denies. Add a dash of the Bain Capital sale and it got heated.

Thoughts? I can't I'm insulted as a) my hair has never been a fan of their brand ingredients b) I don't really care that much about ads. But that said I'm not dismissing anyone's feelings. C) lots of white women on this site and who are friends of mine in real life use this hair brand although I don't use it. I do understand why Sundial is trying to expand marketing to grow its customer base but maybe they should have created another brand since marketing and representation is a very important to some people. ??

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/amp/shea-moisture-ad-falls-flat-after-backlash-n750421

This ad is part of a series of commercials. I also say one other ad and the SM apology.

https://youtu.be/vY3jOCQSG5o

I'd love to hear other POV.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.

Comments

• fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    Hi, visiting from the Type 2 forum to provide my input.

I think it's pretty ridiculous how so many people are outraged over the ad. Maybe they could have used a woman with type 4 hair in their commercial, but people are acting as if Shea Moisture stopped making products for black women, or type 4 hair! Of course they haven't! They are just trying to expand their consumer base, which will help them make more money. I thought black-owned businesses making money was a good thing.

If you look at Shea Moisture's Facebook page and all of the angry comments, you would think that Lipstick Alley unloaded their entire forum membership there to light them up.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
  • fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    Sorry for the double post. This forum has been doing that to me lately.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Also visiting from the Type 2 forum. As a Caucasian woman, I've only recently become aware of the problems that African American women face regarding their hair. To be honest, I'm sure I don't understand even half of their problems. But from what I understand, the problem isn't that SM is catering to other hair types, and it's not even that they used people with silky straight hair in their commercial. It was the subject of the commercial that was the problem. Here's 2 women with the kind of hair EVERYONE wants, talking about "hair hate". Now granted, everyone has bad hair days and hates their hair. But what those particular women faced was internalized hate. What women of color face is not only internalized hate, but EXTERNALIZED hate. They're told all their lives they don't have "good hair", they're told to control it, make it look better. They're being discriminated against because of their hair. To feature women with the kind of hair that pretty much everyone thinks is ideal and to talk about "accepting" their hair as it is, is severely downplaying the "hair hate" that WOC feel.

It would be like talking about overcoming adversity, and showing an upper middle class woman complaining because daddy bought her a Toyota for college and not the Mercedes she wanted, and watching it is a woman who scrabbled and lived on the streets and had to beg for scraps to eat. There's a severe disconnect between the actual issue and the perceived issue.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    True the Facebook page is flooded. It's not something I care for but I have some experience in making commercials with more on the production side. I have at times been involved in coming up with the concepts and writing them. The problem I think is that the company looked at is a series as a whole versus smaller individual segments. They had a kinky haired woman: she just wasnt in that particular segment. As a production person I treat segments in a series individually because we are taught never to assume people saw the other segments. That is why I never really liked the show Lost because if you were not an avid follower it wouldn't make sense versus a Law and Order where I can watch an episode and have a good idea of what's going on without being confused or misinterpreting as much. Walking Dead is in the middle. I was able to get it but there were some parts I didnt get until I went to watch previous episodes. I'm not bothered but I'm not one to say people aren't justified in their opinions. Funny though I see people sharing Curly Nikki's post chastising Shea Moisture when as I remember not so long ago people were pissed and abandoning her for posting an article about a white woman who's transitioning troubles were taking off her scrunchy on what they thought was a primarily black space. Maybe that's what killed her forum because it is overrun with spam.

• AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    janiegirl wrote: »
    Also visiting from the Type 2 forum. As a Caucasian woman, I've only recently become aware of the problems that African American women face regarding their hair. To be honest, I'm sure I don't understand even half of their problems. But from what I understand, the problem isn't that SM is catering to other hair types, and it's not even that they used people with silky straight hair in their commercial. It was the subject of the commercial that was the problem. Here's 2 women with the kind of hair EVERYONE wants, talking about "hair hate". Now granted, everyone has bad hair days and hates their hair. But what those particular women faced was internalized hate. What women of color face is not only internalized hate, but EXTERNALIZED hate. They're told all their lives they don't have "good hair", they're told to control it, make it look better. They're being discriminated against because of their hair. To feature women with the kind of hair that pretty much everyone thinks is ideal and to talk about "accepting" their hair as it is, is severely downplaying the "hair hate" that WOC feel.

It would be like talking about overcoming adversity, and showing an upper middle class woman complaining because daddy bought her a Toyota for college and not the Mercedes she wanted, and watching it is a woman who scrabbled and lived on the streets and had to beg for scraps to eat. There's a severe disconnect between the actual issue and the perceived issue.

You have a very good point and I agree comparisons are far apart. However I think part of the problem is the long time segregation and lack of dialogue. I was like you in that for a long time I was unaware only mine on the flip side. I didn't know until this site there were so many white or rather people with no black ancestry who struggled to care for their hair. Is it the same issues? Some yes some no. I think a lot of people have a perception that anyone who is not black can just roll out of bed, quickly run a comb through and their hair is on point. No offense but God didn't give me type 2 because it's not something I can handle. Most people I know type two wash and blow dry daily. I had to show a friend who is Asian and in the high 3s how to properly detangle her hair because she didn't know how to get a comb through. I feel like lack of hair care education is what is regardless. I have had many non black friends ask me for haircare advice.
    On another note this reminds me of when a huge amount of my hair fell out from Alopecia Areata. I was not sick the way that a woman who was going through cancer was so I felt guilty for awhile is talking about the emotional struggle. But then I talked to someone who'd been through AA and she explained to me although my burden wasn't as heavy it didn't invalidate my feelings or make me less entitled to express my fears and anxiety. If that woman felt some kind of way about her red hair based on I suppose the harassment she's received, I'm not going to negate her truth. I can actually relate to it because my whole life my mom didn't have problem with my texture but has bashed and continues to bash my natural hair color. which she calls it $hitty brown. My hair was even dyed a few times as a child. It took well into my adulthood not to feel negatively about it and now I love it and want to keep it rather than see it go gray.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file