Types of Permanent Straightening - 3B?

dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 3
I have fine-strand, mid-shoulder 3B hair that is not dyed. It gets buildup from DevaCurl products, so it needs clarifying every few weeks.

I want to chemically straighten it. What kinds of chemical straightening for my hair type is done at a salon? Does keratin not fully straighten hair?

Background: busy grad student and $ is not an issue. I want whatever leaves my hair the healthiest, i.e. requires the least at-home babying/attention.

Comments

• DrRachDrRach Registered Users Posts: 264 Curl Neophyte
    I also have very fine 3b hair and I chemically relaxed for 9 years. I still had to flatiron daily to get it totally straight. I stopped eventually because my hair was ruined by the relaxing (I only relaxed twice per year) and the constant high heat. I did use lots of silicone products which protect from heat damage so that's probably why I got away with it for so long!

My first relax was done in a salon using Wellastrate mild formula. Thereafter I used to buy my ionic relaxers on eBay or from Sally, and either did it myself or got a friend/mum to do it for me. I always used the 'cold' method (no flatiron between relaxed and neutraliser) as this minimises the damage for fine hair.

I've been natural now for 4 years and although my curls are very hard work, at least my hair is healthy and not breaking/falling out with damage!
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

I also have very fine 3b hair and I chemically relaxed for 9 years. I still had to flatiron daily to get it totally straight. I stopped eventually because my hair was ruined by the relaxing (I only relaxed twice per year) and the constant high heat. I did use lots of silicone products which protect from heat damage so that's probably why I got away with it for so long!

My first relax was done in a salon using Wellastrate mild formula. Thereafter I used to buy my ionic relaxers on eBay or from Sally, and either did it myself or got a friend/mum to do it for me. I always used the 'cold' method (no flatiron between relaxed and neutraliser) as this minimises the damage for fine hair.

I've been natural now for 4 years and although my curls are very hard work, at least my hair is healthy and not breaking/falling out with damage!
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:

• dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 3
    Yeah, damage is why I'm looking for the best available option.

I'd think it's less damaging to go "all the way" straight. I don't see the point in chemically "relaxing" curls then applying heat to straighten it.

I also don't want to do touch-ups myself - rather go to a salon.
    I tried adding the hot step in once but it made very little difference and I still needed the flatiron to get it 100% poker straight. Because my hair is so fine I couldn't use the stronger relaxed for resistant hair, so it was never going to get my hair totally straight.

• AshleyH17AshleyH17 Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    I have 3b hair and got it permanently straightened for about 10 years. I got the rusk thermal str8 which cost $400-$500 every time and took over 4 hours. The good thing was that it was permanent and only grew out at the roots. The bad thing was that i still had to flat iron it every day to get the frizz and kinks out. It still was never poker straight without using a flat iron. I also had the chi chemical straightner but it was garbage on my hair. I'd suggest saving yourself the time and money and just go with your naturally curly hair. Its probably prettier anyways :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file