Texture Spray Reco's

machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
I'm interested in trying out a texturing spray. Any reco's? Thanks!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I've used the Sevi Blue Yarrow texturizing spray and the John Masters one. The Sevi one is quite moisturizing; the JM one is somewhat drying. I tend to use the Sevi one in the winter and the JM one in the summer.

I saw in another thread of yours that you are worried about damage from sea salt sprays. I think that if you watch your hair carefully, you shouldn't have a problem. It also seems to me that you have very healthy hair, since it hasn't been color treated, and I think that healthy hair is much more resistant to damage.

There is another texturizer you could try, the John Masters tangerine and vanilla bourbon. It is actually a waxy, oily, sticky mixture and not a salt spray. You use just a little bit, and you have to be careful to work it into your hair well or else your hair will look greasy.

There is a beach spray from Intelligent Nutrients that you could maybe try. I tried it once myself, but my hair got horribly frizzy due to the quinoa protein. If you don't have any such problems with quinoa protein, maybe this would be a product to try.

My hairdresser's all-time favorite texurizer is the one from Oribe. It's very expensive. I haven't checked the ingredients to see if there are silicones.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I've used the Sevi Blue Yarrow texturizing spray and the John Masters one. The Sevi one is quite moisturizing; the JM one is somewhat drying. I tend to use the Sevi one in the winter and the JM one in the summer.

I saw in another thread of yours that you are worried about damage from sea salt sprays. I think that if you watch your hair carefully, you shouldn't have a problem. It also seems to me that you have very healthy hair, since it hasn't been color treated, and I think that healthy hair is much more resistant to damage.

There is another texturizer you could try, the John Masters tangerine and vanilla bourbon. It is actually a waxy, oily, sticky mixture and not a salt spray. You use just a little bit, and you have to be careful to work it into your hair well or else your hair will look greasy.

There is a beach spray from Intelligent Nutrients that you could maybe try. I tried it once myself, but my hair got horribly frizzy due to the quinoa protein. If you don't have any such problems with quinoa protein, maybe this would be a product to try.

My hairdresser's all-time favorite texurizer is the one from Oribe. It's very expensive. I haven't checked the ingredients to see if there are silicones.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »

Thanks! I'm gong to try the JM sea salt spray. My hair has damage but it's natural damage from the outside elements.
    Another one that helps me is the Volumizing Spray from Intelligent Nutrients. It has a lot of glycerin, though, and I know your hair is sensitive to glycerin.

I also tried the Awe Inspiraling refresher spray from Jessicurl, which seems to be a texturizer too (it has epsom salts). I didn't like that one, though, because of the aloe. Aloe makes my hair overly soft and limp.

There is also something called Sumo Tech by Bumble and Bumble that calls itself a low-gloss molding compound. It seems to be similar to the Volumizing Spray from Intelligent Nutrients. I didn't see any non-CG ingredients in it. I prefer the Volumizing Spray, but my hair doesn't mind glycerin.
    Another one that helps me is the Volumizing Spray from Intelligent Nutrients. It has a lot of glycerin, though, and I know your hair is sensitive to glycerin.

I also tried the Awe Inspiraling refresher spray from Jessicurl, which seems to be a texturizer too (it has epsom salts). I didn't like that one, though, because of the aloe. Aloe makes my hair overly soft and limp.

There is also something called Sumo Tech by Bumble and Bumble that calls itself a low-gloss molding compound. It seems to be similar to the Volumizing Spray from Intelligent Nutrients. I didn't see any non-CG ingredients in it. I prefer the Volumizing Spray, but my hair doesn't mind glycerin.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I went to the beauty supply store yesterday to get the Matrix Rough Me Up that I mentioned in the other thread. It definitely doesn't have silicones. But right next to it was Matrix Texture Rock It sea salt spray, also CG friendly. I bought that one, because the RMU had denatured alcohol, and the Rock It doesn't. I don't know that it really matters - the salt itself is drying.

But now, I'm not sure how or when to use it. Therese1, any tips? Should I use it as a finishing spray once my hair is dry, or while damp, or still wet?
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    I use my sea salt spray when my hair is dry, when my hair needs a little extra stiffness for volume. I sometimes spray direct from the bottle with my hair upside down and then scrunch it in. I spray maybe three sprays each side. Other times I spray it directly on my hair with my head upright and scrunch it in. Other times I spray a few sprays in my palms, rub them together, and then turn my head upside down and rub it into my roots.

I haven't yet used it on wet or damp hair, though I'd like to give it a try. The sprays are very versatile. Just be careful not to spray too much, or the hair can get stringy looking. Less is more.
    I use my sea salt spray when my hair is dry, when my hair needs a little extra stiffness for volume. I sometimes spray direct from the bottle with my hair upside down and then scrunch it in. I spray maybe three sprays each side. Other times I spray it directly on my hair with my head upright and scrunch it in. Other times I spray a few sprays in my palms, rub them together, and then turn my head upside down and rub it into my roots.

I haven't yet used it on wet or damp hair, though I'd like to give it a try. The sprays are very versatile. Just be careful not to spray too much, or the hair can get stringy looking. Less is more.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Thank you! I used it yesterday when my hair was about 99% dry. I sprayed it on while I was upside down, then finished diffusing. I had wonderful volume and fullness! I'll try some of your techniques too. Especially putting it on my roots. That's where I really need it.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file