Stringy hair

JN987JN987 Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi I just introduced myself over on the intro board.

I have 2a-b hair. I just started the curly girl method, and my hair is curlier than I have ever seen it before. I thought it was straight, well actually it was straight until I had my daughter about 4 years ago. I just brushed it out, but it was frizzy which made me wonder if I had curl.

My hair is color treated. I just dyed it about 3 weeks ago around the time I started the CG method. So it is dry, and I have been doing moisturizing masks, but there is no protein in them or very low protein in them. My hair is looking much better, but still a little dry. It is low porosity.

I did blow dry over the winter before I started CG. My problem is that since I can't brush it, it does look a little stringy though because its not super curly. The curl falls out a little and the pieces separate a little and make it look stringy. It could be my cut because she had thinned my hair before I realized I actually had wavy hair, which then I read not to do.

I don't think it is build-up since I just started using gel and it is silicone free. And to be honest my hair was sometimes stringy when it was brushed straight too. Any tips? Or is this just how my hair is. I wonder if I have it trimmed if that will help. I want to grow it out, to see what the curls do (collar bone length), but maybe a 1/4" trim.

Comments

• fihefihe Registered Users Posts: 101
    I have low porosity, wavy hair myself, and find that my waves/curls sometimes separate out into thin pieces that I don't like. What particular products are you using? Maybe the ingredients aren't working so well for your hair.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is fine and low po too, and it can get stringy. I would suggest going really light on product (too much product can make my hair look stringy). I would also experiment with protein. When I get too much protein, or the wrong types of protein, my hair can look stringy. I think that the excess protein makes the hair shaft very hydrophobic, so that the hair strands can't clump together.

If your hair is still dry, I would suggest doing a deep conditioning treatment. Wash your hair as usual, then squeeze out the water. Put on your conditioner and work it into your hair, then cover with a plastic cap and a towel on top of that (to hold in body heat). Let that sit for 10-30 minutes, then rinse out and style as usual. I have found this a big help for getting conditioner to penetrate low-po hair.

One last suggestion is to use a styler that facilitates clumping. Some gels are kind of a jelly-type consistency (kind of like snot), and that can help the clumping.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    My hair is fine and low po too, and it can get stringy. I would suggest going really light on product (too much product can make my hair look stringy). I would also experiment with protein. When I get too much protein, or the wrong types of protein, my hair can look stringy. I think that the excess protein makes the hair shaft very hydrophobic, so that the hair strands can't clump together.

If your hair is still dry, I would suggest doing a deep conditioning treatment. Wash your hair as usual, then squeeze out the water. Put on your conditioner and work it into your hair, then cover with a plastic cap and a towel on top of that (to hold in body heat). Let that sit for 10-30 minutes, then rinse out and style as usual. I have found this a big help for getting conditioner to penetrate low-po hair.

One last suggestion is to use a styler that facilitates clumping. Some gels are kind of a jelly-type consistency (kind of like snot), and that can help the clumping.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • JN987JN987 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thank you. I got it trimmed, and it is looking better. I also discovered that my gel was too heavy. I think with fine hair on the low end of wavy its easy to have it get weighed down with product. I have done a protein treatment which seemed to help and more moisturizing masks. It is looking much better. I do break the rules and occasionally comb it because it is so close to straight, I think I have to, but I do it infrequently.

For those with 2a, low porosity, fine hair, color treated- how often should I do a protein treatment?
    As far as how often to do a protein treatment, that depends on your hair. I wouldn't recommend more than once a week. If your hair starts to get brittle or strawlike, either cut back on the protein or follow the treatment with a deep conditioning. I think that a lot of people on the board don't do protein treatments per se but just use a lot of products with protein in them.

You may also find that as time goes on, you don't need as much protein, so be on the lookout for that as well.
    As far as how often to do a protein treatment, that depends on your hair. I wouldn't recommend more than once a week. If your hair starts to get brittle or strawlike, either cut back on the protein or follow the treatment with a deep conditioning. I think that a lot of people on the board don't do protein treatments per se but just use a lot of products with protein in them.

You may also find that as time goes on, you don't need as much protein, so be on the lookout for that as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file