We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Alopecia Areata/Female Pattern Balding?

ALibraDivaALibraDiva Posts: 1Registered Users
Is there anyone who is dealing with this?

I was in denial for a long time about my crown hair. I have recently done a big chop and in all actuality needed to do it. My hair was breaking off from a relaxer and was extremely dry. Instead of transitioning I just went for the big kahuna!

I went to a dermatologist and that was what he said it was. I have become self-conscience about my short hair and just recently I have revealed my "new" hair and my thinning, balding area to my immediate family. I am waiting on my next appointment to find out what the blood work says.

I just wanted to know how some of you are handling it. What meds were you prescribed? Have you gone a natural route in trying to regain any growth? Advice?

Comments

• africanaafricana Posts: 65Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Quick Question: How did you get get diagnosed as having AA?

I have other autoimmune diseases so I find that doctors are quick to dismiss it as a symptom as my other diseases, but I think it's separate. Are there specific antibody tests you get tested for (that's how they confirmed my other autoimmune disorders)?

- Type 4 hair
    - Trying CG life, again !

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,995Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    My dermatologist took tissue samples of my scalp (various places) and sent them off to a lab to get my diagnosis. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • amashamash Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i also have very small hairs on frontal hairline , about an inch or so, very thin and look like burnt :( 
    i hvnt been to a doc yet. what kind of sysmptoms can be observed if someone have alopecia areata
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,995Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    For me, receding hairline and thin spots on scalp. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • ellajellaj Posts: 465Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My dermatologist, during my annual check-up, commented on my thinning hairline. He called it Female Pattern Thinning. He mentioned my age and hormonal changes as a possible cause. My hair is thinning mostly at the temples. He said he could prescribe me something but I declined. I will play the wait and see card for another year when it comes to medication. 

"Hey, curls are people, too"

Type: 2c/3a
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• bomegabomega Posts: 769Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    ellaj said:
    My dermatologist, during my annual check-up, commented on my thinning hairline. He called it Female Pattern Thinning. He mentioned my age and hormonal changes as a possible cause. My hair is thinning mostly at the temples. He said he could prescribe me something but I declined. I will play the wait and see card for another year when it comes to medication. 

Ellaj,

Have you seen the Sciency Hair blog post: Scientifically tested, over-the-counter treatments for thinning hair. The DIY Caffeine Recipe in Item 2 is one that I've tried and found that it considerably reduced my shedding to less than 1/2 what it used to be (maybe around 25% the previous shedding). This happened the very next day after I started. I am using black tea for my treatment, making a solution with 1 quart distilled water/tea bag brewed for 5 minutes. In the morning, I comb my hair dry, then spray my scalp, brush my teeth, then take a shower washing my hair. Easy peasy. I've also been thinking about trying green tea (with 1 pint distilled water/ tea bag for the same proportion caffeine), and perhaps trying a pre-poo overall hair spray with tea and marshmallow root to see if I can eliminate the dry combing in the morning. Another member here (LaNinon) said she used a caffeine powder spray and it worked like a charm for her.

In addition, if you think hormonal issues are related to this, you may want to check out the Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden for more ideas before considering prescription meds in a year. She also has a blog with a lot of good information at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flarabriden.com" class="Popup.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Alaffia Beautiful Curls for Wavy/Curly Hair
    Styler: Giovanni LA Natural Gel
    Treatment: daily black tea spray, coconut oil treatment, 2-step henndigo with amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Bomega, thank-you for your reply, you have offered up some awesome advice. I am appreciative due to the fact that I have a commitment to staying chemical free when it comes to my health and well-being. This is why I gave up coloring my hair, the thought of the toxicity in hair dye kept me awake at night. Also, I take no medications at all and I would like to keep it that way if at all possible. 

Thanks again! :)

Just wanted to leave this here, I found it in the Articles section. 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/hair-loss/losing-itg-menopause-and-hair-loss

edited December 2017
    That's actually a pretty good article - for a long while, the articles on nc.com have been fluff and advertisements.

The only thing I would question is how the interviewee is skeptical of biotin. I took biotin for another health issue (1mg/day), and as a side effect (a pleasant one) I had increased new hair growth. I would also add that I had the best hair in my life when I had a high raw diet - I was eating 2-3 quarts of green smoothies per day. However, I also had a 2-egg breakfast every morning.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Alaffia Beautiful Curls for Wavy/Curly Hair
    Treatment: daily black tea spray, coconut oil treatment, 2-step henndigo with amla to cover gray

@bomega, I have gone back to eating eggs a few times a week. I had cut them out in the past along with meat and dairy only to experience a shed that left me so thin at the temples. I did some research and decided to add eggs and chicken back into my diet. It took some time yet there was/is noticeable regrowth. I make a smoothie with soy milk, frozen wild blueberries and banana. 

edited December 2017
    @ellaj : Was that from reading Lara Briden's blog? She advocates eating some animal protein. I am vegetarian (I eat eggs and dairy) but I think my hair fall is related to inflammation from a junkie diet (I eat too much sugary sweets - excess sugar is a major promoter of inflammation.) After reading Dr. Briden's book I realized that *all* of my lifelong issues with my cycle were related to too much inflammation, which in turn affected my hair fall. All of my other numbers are very normal (even blood sugar) so I thought I was one of those people stuck having a painful period, bad PMS, and my mother's hair. Dark leafy greens are anti-inflammatory, and full of minerals which is why I think the green smoothies helped my hair.

Dr. Briden makes specific food recommendations for an anti-inflammatory diet, but if you are interested in reducing inflammation, I would suggest looking into the Blood Type Diet (BTD). It might sound crazy at first, but when I follow it closely, I do much better with energy levels and achiness going away than when I don't. In addition, I have noticed certain foods trigger major inflammation as predicted by the BTD, but Dr. Briden makes no mention of them. As a side note, as I studies the BTD food lists, I noticed that it explains so much of the "diet wars" we see in our culture.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,206Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited December 2017
    bomega said:
    That's actually a pretty good article - for a long while, the articles on nc.com have been fluff and advertisements.

bomega -- just reading this thread for info and came across your comment which struck me as i what i have been long saying, since they sold the website. do you remember tonya mckay's articles?  such great info, i still have those articles bookmarked.  

the newer articles are like tabloids at the register in supermarkets, junk, wrong info....  kept me from referring new curlies to this website.  garbage.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    bomega said:
    @ellaj : Was that from reading Lara Briden's blog? She advocates eating some animal protein. I am vegetarian (I eat eggs and dairy) but I think my hair fall is related to inflammation from a junkie diet (I eat too much sugary sweets - excess sugar is a major promoter of inflammation.) After reading Dr. Briden's book I realized that *all* of my lifelong issues with my cycle were related to too much inflammation, which in turn affected my hair fall. All of my other numbers are very normal (even blood sugar) so I thought I was one of those people stuck having a painful period, bad PMS, and my mother's hair. Dark leafy greens are anti-inflammatory, and full of minerals which is why I think the green smoothies helped my hair.

Dr. Briden makes specific food recommendations for an anti-inflammatory diet, but if you are interested in reducing inflammation, I would suggest looking into the Blood Type Diet (BTD). It might sound crazy at first, but when I follow it closely, I do much better with energy levels and achiness going away than when I don't. In addition, I have noticed certain foods trigger major inflammation as predicted by the BTD, but Dr. Briden makes no mention of them. As a side note, as I studies the BTD food lists, I noticed that it explains so much of the "diet wars" we see in our culture.
     @bomega, I am a diehard fan of Dr. Andrew Weil and have read most of his books. He is an advocate of eating an anti-inflammatory diet. 

You may find this food pyramid interesting....https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/anti-inflammatory-diet-pyramid/dr-weils-anti-inflammatory-food-pyramid/

edited December 2017
    ellaj said:

@bomega, I am a diehard fan of Dr. Andrew Weil and have read most of his books. He is an advocate of eating an anti-inflammatory diet. 

You may find this food pyramid interesting....https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/anti-inflammatory-diet-pyramid/dr-weils-anti-inflammatory-food-pyramid/
    @ellaj : I had not read anything by Dr. Weil in ages. I see he has gotten away from the strict vegan diet he used to be a proponent of, and that is a pleasant surprise. But here's what I mean - for example, he is an advocate of a healthy amount of legumes. As a vegetarian, I am too. But the legumes he lists on that link all give me trouble. It wasn't until I found out about the BTD, that I realized those legumes had a lectin in them that reacts badly with the blood type antigens of my blood type that are secreted by the digestive fluids...causing inflammation in my system. As a vegetarian, I used to be frustrated with this (and perhaps in a little bit of denial). But once I figured it out, I learned to emphasize on legumes that are safe for my type. I have countless examples of this sort of thing, and when I've discussed this with other people they also realize how the food lists for their type really fits them.

But I most certainly don't want to get into a diet war with you, or anyone else. Not the least because I think if anyone wanted to make one change to their diet it should be to eat more dark leafy greens...and which I suspect you already know to do :) But really because I want people to make their own choices. I don't want that responsibility! I just wanted to pitch that out there to consider if you, or anyone else, were interested. As much as I love Lara Briden, I noticed that she gets caught up in a lot of "this is inflammatory...but only if it is for you." And I can't help but wonder if she look into it that she would see the connection in how a thing can be poison to one patient and medicine to another.

bomega said:
    ellaj said:

@ellaj

But I most certainly don't want to get into a diet war with you, or anyone else. Not the least because I think if anyone wanted to make one change to their diet it should be to eat more dark leafy greens...and which I suspect you already know to do :) But really because I want people to make their own choices. I don't want that responsibility! I just wanted to pitch that out there to consider if you, or anyone else, were interested. 
    @bomega, I thoroughly enjoy reading all of your posts and I assure you that there will be no war. We seem to share the same interests. I am intrigued by anything diet and health related and like nothing better than to share information and thoughts on the subject.

Keep pitching, please. :)

@ellaj : Good I'm glad we are on the same page. I've been learning a lot from you too. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file