Bringing out red tones in hair? What are my options?

missmanicmissmanic Posts: 8Registered Users
I dyed my hair black for 10+ years and loved it. I've since grown my natural hair out to below back bra strap and while my hair is healthier, I don't love my natural color.

It's very...dull. No richness. It's a very ash toned dark brown with lots of natural copper highlights in the sun. Despite the natural copper bits, the base almost looks green/gray in certain lights.

I'm about to pull the trigger on going back to black, because I honestly do love it...but I'm very intrigued about the natural reddish tones in my hair.

So, what are my options in terms of warming up my hair color? How do you counteract ash without going darker? I'm lost guys!

Help!?
3a/3b
Baby fine, high density, high porosity.
Weak curl pattern, lover of strong hold products and protein.
Big chop of old color May 2016 - all virgin, no heat.

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Henna. But don't overdo, lest you loosen your curl. Adding amla to your mix will also help restore curl/minimize curl loss. Amla is not permanent tho0ugh, lasts 3-4 weeks in your hair. It will tone down the red of henna but only when mixed with indigo. Henna also makes your hair lower porosity, but putting on a touch adds a red tone to your natural color, and also turns a brilliant red in sunshine. One of my favorite henna pictures is linked below. Check out her before and after and how she goes from a medium brown to an auburn, vibrant color.
    https://diaryofacurlygirl.com/2014/07/22/my-first-henna-gloss/

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Henna. But don't overdo, lest you loosen your curl. Adding amla to your mix will also help restore curl/minimize curl loss. Amla is not permanent tho0ugh, lasts 3-4 weeks in your hair. It will tone down the red of henna but only when mixed with indigo. Henna also makes your hair lower porosity, but putting on a touch adds a red tone to your natural color, and also turns a brilliant red in sunshine. One of my favorite henna pictures is linked below. Check out her before and after and how she goes from a medium brown to an auburn, vibrant color.
    https://diaryofacurlygirl.com/2014/07/22/my-first-henna-gloss/

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • StraightPassingStraightPassing Posts: 77Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You sound similar to me hair colour wise. :) I used henna whwn I wasfirswa going curly. Because my hair is already low porosity and so dark it didn't show up fantastically well but I did get a very subtle auburn tinge.

Hope that helps. :)
  • nishashahnishashah Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited November 28
    hope my answer is helpful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file