What direction do you comb in?

BonadeaBonadea Registered Users Posts: 15
What direction do u guys comb in in the shower? I use to comb straight back but I think that caused too much tension on my hair line, not to mention the super fine hair in front would end up being on top when I combed straight back and it firmed this super fine netting of hair on to that tangled up awful. Also that part curls way looser like maybe 2b or c and combing it back stretches it out making it even straighter.

When I part in the middle and comb down each side that seems to make detangling the easiest but then I end up with this super long super defined middle part that makes me look dorky plus it's flat.

A lot of girls on the fb curl boards say they don't part they let it fall how it will but whatever direction I comb it last in the shower is how I'm stuck cause I can't restyle outside the shower, I start drying too fast and it'll give me stringy yucks hair. So which direction do u guys co,b or brush in the shower?

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I like to comb a part into my hair. I wear my part on my left side, so I attempt to part it there. It rarely goes quite right though, since I don't have a mirror in the shower. After my shower I do some diffusing (for a short time) upside down, then I clip and air dry for a while, then I unclip and diffuse upside down some more. All this in an attempt to get the hair to unstick from my scalp and get some lift in the crown. Once it's fully dry and I fluff it out, I try to move the part to where I like it. Usually it's only the front section that gets moved. That creates a little more lift right in front where I can see it. If it needs some encouragement to stay, I'll use a bit of cream, just enough to coat my thumb and forefinger, to smooth it out. I can't just let it fall where it wants. I end up looking like I have bedhead when I do that.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BonadeaBonadea Registered Users Posts: 15
    Isn't it a shame we have to put so much thought into every single aspect of our hair? Curls can really be a chore. I've been reading around and retrying to comb straight back and then upside down. It does give me volume but sometimes when I stand right side up and it falls back down it doesn't lay right. I tried making sure it was more drenched since I have l hair and it takes more to thoroughly wet it and the water really helps clumps.

I'm researching the super-soaker method on the sticky that's posted.
  • missmanicmissmanic Registered Users Posts: 8
    My hair is "trained" back and a right part with hair going to the left. I've been wearing my hair in the same direction for so long it naturally falls like this. I pineapple to dry so i brush my hair back and upside down, scrunch, then put my hair up to half dry
    3a/3b
    Baby fine, high density, high porosity.
    Weak curl pattern, lover of strong hold products and protein.
    Big chop of old color May 2016 - all virgin, no heat.
    I did notice very today with my own version of a supersoaker method that I did get more curls...albeit lazy curls..but curls nonetheless, in the front area of my hair that always seems so straight and stringy. It would really trip me out if all I needed this whole time was more moisture!

I watched YouTube videos yesterday and an nc members video had where she combed all her hair straight down in her face and looked like that girl from The Ring, I wonder if I did that how it would dry.
  • curlyheadvivicurlyheadvivi Registered Users Posts: 1
    I section my hair into 4 and start from the bottom to the top.
    I section my hair into 4 and start from the bottom to the top.

Do u do that every day?
  • natillanatilla Registered Users Posts: 4
    I part my hair in the middle. To avoid my roots to look flat i wear hair clips while drying.
    3b-3c / coarse / low porosity / high density :tongue:
    Shampoo: Dessert Essence shampoo once a week.
    Leave in: Shea butter mostly, Nature's Gate conditioner, Giovanni direct leave in.
    DC: Giovanni nutrafix hair reconstructor.
    Oils: Sweet almond oil, coconut oil and jojoba oil.

CG / LOC method lover since 01-14-15 :oops:

Bleaching and coloring my hair was my worst mistake ever.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    i comb everything forward, from the nape of my neck to my forehead, so it hangs in front of my eyes. I scrunch all my products in this way, and then start diffusing this way as well. When my hair is maybe 80% dry, I sometimes stop diffusing, turn my head upright, and clip the part where I want it. Then I air dry the rest of the way. (Sometimes I diffuse 100% of the way, though, too.)

I used to struggle with when in the whole process I should part my hair. And then I saw a Jessicurl video where she just had the client keep her hair forward the whole time, through conditioning and rinsing and product application and diffusing. There's no messing with parts or trying to get rid of bald spots or anything. As the hair dries during diffusing, the enourmous clumps break apart on their own, and what was plastered to the head fluffs up. I find this method so much easier, since I don't have to manipulate my wet hair, which is quite limp since it is so fine.

I have found that if I am good about scrunching product in really well, up to the roots (I scrunch until everything feels uniform, which takes a while), quite a bit of the hair is no longer plastered to my scalp. If I should have to air dry, I would probably scrunch product in like this, then turn my head upright, arrange my hair as necessary (including the part), scrunch in additional water (like Super Soaker) where hair looks straight and stringy, scrunch out water with a flour sack towel, and then clip as best I can.

You were on the right track when you added water back into your hair to fix the stringy parts. It's not always moisture that's the problem; oftentimes it's lack of clumping. You can get the clumping back by adding water back in, as you did. Then you can use a t-shirt or special towel for curly hair to scrunch out the water you added back in so that the hair doesn't take so long to dry.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    i comb everything forward, from the nape of my neck to my forehead, so it hangs in front of my eyes. I scrunch all my products in this way, and then start diffusing this way as well. When my hair is maybe 80% dry, I sometimes stop diffusing, turn my head upright, and clip the part where I want it. Then I air dry the rest of the way. (Sometimes I diffuse 100% of the way, though, too.)

I used to struggle with when in the whole process I should part my hair. And then I saw a Jessicurl video where she just had the client keep her hair forward the whole time, through conditioning and rinsing and product application and diffusing. There's no messing with parts or trying to get rid of bald spots or anything. As the hair dries during diffusing, the enourmous clumps break apart on their own, and what was plastered to the head fluffs up. I find this method so much easier, since I don't have to manipulate my wet hair, which is quite limp since it is so fine.

I have found that if I am good about scrunching product in really well, up to the roots (I scrunch until everything feels uniform, which takes a while), quite a bit of the hair is no longer plastered to my scalp. If I should have to air dry, I would probably scrunch product in like this, then turn my head upright, arrange my hair as necessary (including the part), scrunch in additional water (like Super Soaker) where hair looks straight and stringy, scrunch out water with a flour sack towel, and then clip as best I can.

You were on the right track when you added water back into your hair to fix the stringy parts. It's not always moisture that's the problem; oftentimes it's lack of clumping. You can get the clumping back by adding water back in, as you did. Then you can use a t-shirt or special towel for curly hair to scrunch out the water you added back in so that the hair doesn't take so long to dry.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I may have to try that. For me when I comb all upside down like how u do when I finally flip back up the hair kinda folds if that makes any sense. Maybe I need to shake it loose more...it might help with more volume. I watched the Super-Soaker Method video and have been doing something like that for the past few days and it's been working. I scrunch in tons of water especially to the top and sides. I'm low porosity too so it takes more to get my hair wet

I've even been able to hang forward with the hair falling around my face and use my denman (which is way gentler on my curls when it's soaking like that). The denman helps me get great Curl formation. When I would use the denman out of the shower if I brushed my hair all back so I had no part it would give me mostly straight hair on front ause it stretched the curls against my head. I've been able to get the "no part" look which is what I've been longing for...the hard defined part makes it look to flat against my head and I look dorky. I've been so happy with my volume and curls the last few days.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file