Best cuts for fine hair

BonadeaBonadea Registered Users Posts: 15
Hi Curlies! I had an acct here years ago and forgot my info, this site got me thru my transition. I've been natural for 12 years now and got a new acct, I've really just been reading for a while.

So on to my question. I'm just realizing that I have fine hair. I think the front is like 2c while the rest is some form of 3. I had waist length hair years ago and the fairy knots were awful and it got stringy. What would u guys say is a good length for fine hair? As a rule does long hair never really look awesome if it's fine? I want more volume and I hate these strings. I did go much shorter at one point and there were virtually no tangles which was awesome. I just have to find a happy medium. I still want movement and I love the feeling of my curls blowing in the breeze but I think too long falls flat drags me down and looks plastered to my head. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I think that each head of hair is different. I think that optimal hair length also depends on face shape and body size. I have a friend who has fine hair (though I think it's on the more medium end of fine) who used to have waist-length hair and looked really good that way, so I don't think you necessarily have to go shorter. Do you use any product? Do you diffuse?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BonadeaBonadea Registered Users Posts: 15
    Lately I've been using Sally's GVP The Conditioner (has a water soluable cone) I'm not cg. And I follow with BounceCurl. I was trying to comb or denman the product thru but it seems it's so fine if I do that the finest part of my hair is broken up and won't clump so it dries stringy. The front and area and face framing part is the finest part I have with the loosest curl. It's also the part where I can feel the stubble of new growth at the scalp cause some has broken off cause I wasn't gentle enough. If I can figure out how to post a pic from when my hair was long u'll see the area at the sides looked stringy and boy did it tangle something awful. I can't very well leave the back long and have short front and sides...then I'd have a mullet. Lol
    Oops this was a duplicate. Don't think I can ever go that long again. And I do kinda miss the shorter hair cause the curls were more uniformly nice not to mention no tangles. I just gotta figure out the best length for my texture and face.
    ok think this should add a picture
    The website has a problem with pictures; your pictures aren't showing up. You will have to post them on a third-party site and then post a link.

I asked about product because I find that if I don't use a product with hold, I get no volume at my roots. I don't know much about BounceCurl but don't think that it has hold (?). I would try a hard-hold gel and scrunch it into your hair. You can layer it on top of BounceCurl.

You can use a Denman to comb product through your hair, but afterward, I would scrunch some water back into your hair to get the curls to clump. It sounds kind of silly, to add water back into your hair, but it will make the curls form better. I would also try diffusing. I diffuse my hair upside down, and that plus a hard-hold gel gives me the best volume.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    The website has a problem with pictures; your pictures aren't showing up. You will have to post them on a third-party site and then post a link.

I asked about product because I find that if I don't use a product with hold, I get no volume at my roots. I don't know much about BounceCurl but don't think that it has hold (?). I would try a hard-hold gel and scrunch it into your hair. You can layer it on top of BounceCurl.

You can use a Denman to comb product through your hair, but afterward, I would scrunch some water back into your hair to get the curls to clump. It sounds kind of silly, to add water back into your hair, but it will make the curls form better. I would also try diffusing. I diffuse my hair upside down, and that plus a hard-hold gel gives me the best volume.
    I'm definitely learning that I need to use more water. I think my hair wasn't getting saturated enough in the shower and then if I didn't comb it right it would get super stringy. Today I combed straight back and then upside down but I really drenched it, also scrunched some water in outside the shower too. I used Shea Moisture Sacha 3/6/9 rescue and repair URL defining smoothie...then some GVP The Conditioner and finally BounceCurl and sprayed some more with water all over and it and it came out better formed. I'm still thinking I make look better if it were a little shorter. I guess I get more volume that way too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file