Need help looking for replacement products

baseballmamabaseballmama Registered Users Posts: 33
I have 2c/3a, super thick, coarse, shoulder length hair. I have been having A LOT of skin issues lately and after a lot of testing my allergist has confirmed that I am allergic to A LOT of chemicals (I'm not exaggerating when I say that the list is 8 pages long), most of which are found in hair products (this would explain the severe itching and eczema in my scalp for the past several months). I'm having to completely change every hair product that I use, but I'm having trouble finding more natural-ish replacements.

Prior to my new diagnosis, I used a L'Oreal curl cream, LA Looks Sport Gel, and Garnier Fructis spray gel (everything silicone & sulfate free). Yes, these made my curls a little crunchy, but I live in TX where the humidity is around 95% so I'd prefer a little crunch to frizz. I'm having trouble finding products that give me the same kind of hold though. Jessicurl products don't have any of the offensive ingredients in them, but they don't give me the hold the hold that I need and I look like an electrocuted poodle.

Any suggestions on what I can try next?

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    i don't have any product suggestions, but i would suggest doing searches on here for old threads that covered allergies/ezxema, etc. i know there were many.

also, try PMing rymorg -- i know she had similar problems and did find some products that weren't troublesome, she is also a hair stylist. i think that was her username, i'll look around and come back and edit this if i am missing something.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    here it is
    rymorg2

and here is the latest thread i found but one that isn't so helpful, but if contact her, she might have some good suggestions.

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/180691-feeling-like-newbie.html

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I used to love the Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel. It has really good hold. I had to stop it because my hair became protein sensitive (there is some protein in it). The Styling Gel by Intelligent Nutrients also has decent hold...but it uses agave for the hold, and I'm not sure how that works in high humidity.

Another gel I had to give up due to protein was the Alba Botanica hard-hold gel. That was great in high humidity.

Naturecat has had success using the Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold hairspray as a spray gel on wet hair, I believe. That may be worth a try.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I used to love the Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel. It has really good hold. I had to stop it because my hair became protein sensitive (there is some protein in it). The Styling Gel by Intelligent Nutrients also has decent hold...but it uses agave for the hold, and I'm not sure how that works in high humidity.

Another gel I had to give up due to protein was the Alba Botanica hard-hold gel. That was great in high humidity.

Naturecat has had success using the Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold hairspray as a spray gel on wet hair, I believe. That may be worth a try.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file