Just want to recommend a few great products.

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
1. Shea Moisture African water mint and ginger conditioner. It works great for me. The only thing I dislike about it is that it is very thick, so I have to sorr of "melt" it between my palms to distribute it. I have used other SM conditioners but I like this one the best. My hair loves it. I have not used the shampoo in this line but its on my list.
2. Unicure conditioner. This is the original, and Sally Beauty used to offer "Cure Care", a dupe. I really like Unicure for a RO, or a LI. I have been using a LI lately - for the first time - and use this product, about dime size - for my LI.
3. Marc Anthony Nourishing Argan Oil of Morocco hairspray. I do use hairspray to hold my curls, and have used several, including pricey and generally useless Deva. I love this one.. that's all I can say, is that it does a great job.

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for the Marc Anthony hairspray rec! I've been wanting to get a hairspray (I have the Deva spray and hate it). Marc Anthony stuff is easy to find here, and not very expensive. I'm going to have to give this one a try. I really miss the Sebastian spray I used to use. It's got cones, so that's a no-go for me.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have the Deva spray also, and I find it essentially useless and expensive. Like most Deva products. Let me know how you like the MA hair spray.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    We can get Marc Anthony here too, I was actually looking at that range last week though not the hairspray. I might give it a try, I'm using Frizz Ease atm which I quite like but always willing to give other things a try.
    I wish we could get the other brands here, my usual conditioner has been discontinued (and it was a replacement for my previous one, which was also discontinued, sigh) and I get fed up of the search for something else that works. Going off other people's recs is at least a starting point.
    3b in South Australia.
    Do you use the hairspray in the typical manner, at the end of styling? Someone else on here uses it on wet hair. I haven't tried that yet.

I picked some up yesterday. It did not leave my hair feeling sticky/gluey, like the Deva Spray does, which is good. It didn't do much for my hair, but by the time I used it my hair had already lost all its volume. I'm going to try it today as soon as my hair is dry and I scrunch it.
    Current products:
    Yes, I use after drying my hair and them I clip it with the Curly Hair Solutions (frizzoff) roller jaw clips. It hold pretty well, at least for now when the humidity is not too high, but lets face it, when humidity is high - not a lot helps...!
    As luck would have it, the shop that sells Marc Anthony had a 50% off haircare sale today, I just happened to see the sign in the window as I was on an Easter egg hunt. Haven't tried it as yet but fingers crossed. I only use it on my fringe, which I straighten.
    3b in South Australia.
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Starmie wrote: »
    As luck would have it, the shop that sells Marc Anthony had a 50% off haircare sale today, I just happened to see the sign in the window as I was on an Easter egg hunt. Haven't tried it as yet but fingers crossed. I only use it on my fringe, which I straighten.

Was looking at the Marc Anthony line but not sure of the ingredients.
    macher wrote: »
    Starmie wrote: »

Was looking at the Marc Anthony line but not sure of the ingredients.

Most of it's not good for the CG method, although a few might be. Their "no sulphate" shampoo has Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfontate in it, which is not a sulphate, but is harsh on the hair. It might be ok for clarifying though. Their conditioners say "no sulphate" on the bottle, but then no conditioners have sulphates. Theirs do have silicones. Not sure if it's water soluble or not. I've used their products a bit in the past before CG, and liked them pretty well. If you're not CG and you can get them in a drug store, then I would say to try them. But otherwise, I think there's better products out there.
    Current products:
    Im not recommending the whole line just the hair spray.
    I've tried a couple of things from the Strictly Curls line and not liked them at all.
    The hairspray however actually seems really good. First day of trying it and there's no humidity in the air, so time will tell, but it seems to have a really nice soft hold and I like that. Have to say the scent is revolting though!
    Thanks for the rec Myrna.
    3b in South Australia.
    I've tried a couple of things from the Strictly Curls line and not liked them at all.
    The hairspray however actually seems really good. First day of trying it and there's no humidity in the air, so time will tell, but it seems to have a really nice soft hold and I like that. Have to say the scent is revolting though!
    Thanks for the rec Myrna.
    3b in South Australia.
    I dont like t he smell either. For the life of me I dont know why scent is put into cosmetic items. If one is going to have a reaction, it will be because of the scent. but as you say, it dissipates. I am also having great luck with the SM African Water Mint and Ginger conditioner.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To add to the discussion on hairspray as both spray and gel, I use Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray. It's super strong and all natural. I use it with both wet and dry hair. On wet hair it works like a gel for hold, but without weighing my hair down. On dry hair, I use it to help it set and not lose curl. I can get 5+ day hair with it. I don't use conditioner much nowadays, but will check out the SM one you recommended. I always appreciate all natural products. Thanks for the recs!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file