Been Using Aveda Flax Seed and Aloe Gel

machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Been styling with Aveda Flaxseed and Aloe Gel for the past week. I've read on sciency blog that Aloe is better than glycerin but does the same. So far I'm liking it. This is 4th day hair with spritzing with water / conditioner mix. Then I apply a couple dime size amounts of the Aveda through my hair. Not bad for 4th day hair.

https://imgur.com/gallery/M1CIw

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,852Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Does the Aveda have glycerin in it? I can't figure out what's wrong with my hair. Ever since the spring weather started it's been looking like crap. It starts out really nice, but by lunchtime it's stringy and frizzy and gross looking. I had the exact same problems last spring, but I was just starting the CG method so I didn't know what I was doing. I was hoping this spring would be a lot better, but it's not. I'm starting to wonder if its glycerin causing this.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    janiegirl wrote: »
    Does the Aveda have glycerin in it? I can't figure out what's wrong with my hair. Ever since the spring weather started it's been looking like crap. It starts out really nice, but by lunchtime it's stringy and frizzy and gross looking. I had the exact same problems last spring, but I was just starting the CG method so I didn't know what I was doing. I was hoping this spring would be a lot better, but it's not. I'm starting to wonder if its glycerin causing this.

The Aveda flaxseed gel has Aloe in it. I think Aloe is a natural reply for glycerin but according I sciency blog won't give you the same symptoms as glycerin.

It doesn't have glycerin in it as far as I can see. The Flaxseed Aloe Gel is very watery and doesn't feel like a gel. It says it provides strong hold but maybe I don't use enough. Seems like I've been using just enough for me so far. Since it's very watery I apply 2 drops it each section of my hair in praying hand motion then after I fluff my hair with my fingers and shake my head.

Let me back up first to how I'm applying it. I keep a spritz bottle mixture of Deva Delight conditioner in the shower. I spritz my hair with the mixture and the steam helps. After I spritz I get a small drop of Deva Delight in one hand and some water in other hand and then rub my hands together and proceed with o apply to my ends to mid shaft but mostly on my ends. Then I squish it in but leave it in. It's not much conditioner but seems like enough. At this point with the combination of spritzing and the steam and applying small amounts of the Deva Delight to the crown my ends my hair is like 50% wet. I hate getting my hair wet on refresh days but I've found that in order to keep my hair hydrated I need to get it more wet than just spritzing my mixture on dry hair. My hair gets dehydrated easily. Then I scrunch dry my hair a little with my cotton tee. Then I get dressed and start applying the Aveda Flax Seed Aloe Gel.

For me I'm not concerned about creating waves because my hair is naturally pretty wavy without any work. I want to keep how my hair is naturally. My only concern is hydration and nothing else and when my hair is hydrated everything else falls into place.

The only thing I hate is that my hair does WAY WAY better when I get it like wet 40-50% daily. I guess the reason is since my hair gets dehydrated easily from midshaft to ends my hair needs that hydration process. Also the daily dose of protein from the Deva Delight seems to not bother my hair. Also it seems like the Aveda Flax Seed Aloe Gel makes my waves stronger. Not defined per se but elasticity when my hair is dry. Not sure if it's the Aveda product or not.

Now we'll see how what I'm doing works in the summer when it gets humid here in Philly and the dry winter. I definitely can't use glycerin or the likes of LA Sports Gel and glycerin in the winter. In the summer my hair loves humidity though but the glycerin can at times give my hair too much moisture. So when the high dews hit I'm curious to see how what I'm doing now will work.
    This is my hair at around 30-40% wet. I can feel that the Aveda product is forming a little cast which is ok. But also feels like my hair is more moisturized than before I started using it vs LA Looks Sports Gel. I want my hair toned down that's why I don't scrunch much. I actually scrunch my hair with my head tilted upward instead of downward.

This is 5th day hair. After it dries I'm pretty confident it won't look fuller but hopefully not too much.

I post a pic when it's close to dry and when I fluff it out.

This is current and it's still pretty wet / damp.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1qTSw
    Almost dry. Fluffed it a bit.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Gy9df
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Ooh, I loved that Aveda gel...but something in it built up on my hair something awful, and it required at least two clarifying shampoos to get it out (I had to use a sulfate plus C14-16 olefin sulfonate). But it gave me such pretty, juicy curls! I'm not sure what it was that caused the problem.

Janiegirl, I have found that both glycerin and aloe can cause what you describe in high humidity (glycerin more so than aloe, but aloe was still a problem). I found that as my hair became lower porosity, it was less affected. What helped me combat frizz was to use styling products that had copolymers very high on the list.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Ooh, I loved that Aveda gel...but something in it built up on my hair something awful, and it required at least two clarifying shampoos to get it out (I had to use a sulfate plus C14-16 olefin sulfonate). But it gave me such pretty, juicy curls! I'm not sure what it was that caused the problem.

Janiegirl, I have found that both glycerin and aloe can cause what you describe in high humidity (glycerin more so than aloe, but aloe was still a problem). I found that as my hair became lower porosity, it was less affected. What helped me combat frizz was to use styling products that had copolymers very high on the list.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    I looked up the ingredients on that gel. It has a silicone in it, plus denatured alcohol (drying) high on the list. It also has castor oil - I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Plus Aveda products are so highly scented. I'm not going to bother using this.

I did finally figure out what to do with my hair though! This weekend I just skipped the gel altogether. I used lots of leave in and did the super soaker method with it, and my hair was quite happy! It's more wavy than curly, but it didn't get all stringy and tangley, even though I spent most of Saturday out in the sun and wind. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Current products:
    Therese1, I forgot to mention that we're still in low humidity here. Not nearly as low as it was in winter, but the dew point is still below freezing. I don't think we ever get a true high humidity here. I'm taking a trip to the Florida keys next month though. Then I'll be able to see what my hair does in really high humidity. I'm probably going to look like a poodle LOL!
    Current products:
    I looked up the ingredients on that gel. It has a silicone in it, plus denatured alcohol (drying) high on the list. It also has castor oil - I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Plus Aveda products are so highly scented. I'm not going to bother using this.

I did finally figure out what to do with my hair though! This weekend I just skipped the gel altogether. I used lots of leave in and did the super soaker method with it, and my hair was quite happy! It's more wavy than curly, but it didn't get all stringy and tangley, even though I spent most of Saturday out in the sun and wind. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Oh well I broke a Curly commandment. The cone is water solub anyway; PEG 12. This stuff makes my waves juicy.
    macher wrote: »

Oh well I broke a Curly commandment. The cone is water solub anyway; PEG 12. This stuff makes my waves juicy.

True, it is water soluble. And if it works for your hair, that's really all we're all looking for. I haven't gone back to cones (purposely) since going CG, but I imagine I will some day. There's just so many products to try, at least going CG narrows it down!
    Current products:
    Nice pic! Love the clumping.

I agree about it being nice that going CG narrows down product choices. A person could go mad with all that's available. My hair also gets polyquat buildup easily and dislikes most proteins, further narrowing the available products. It's kind of a blessing in disguise.
    Nice pic! Love the clumping.

I agree about it being nice that going CG narrows down product choices. A person could go mad with all that's available. My hair also gets polyquat buildup easily and dislikes most proteins, further narrowing the available products. It's kind of a blessing in disguise.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1, where are you buying your IN products from? I see from your sig that you use a lot of them.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    I am lucky enough to have an IN store in my local mall. Naturecat uses IN products too; you could PM her as well for her source.
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I am lucky enough to have an IN store in my local mall. Naturecat uses IN products too; you could PM her as well for her source.

What's IN?
    Intelligent Nutrients. It's a natural brand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file