Wavy haircut 2A

mstomanmstoman Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi! I just started trying out the CG method, have been using organic, paraben and SLS free shampoo for a few years, but not sulfate free. Stopped conditioning a couple of years ago. I usually blow dry it straight - just 5 mins after air drying. if I don't, it just looks unkempt - nothing major, but some frizz and a very slight wave with straight ends sticking out randomly - does not look groomed.

I'd like my hair to look good after wash and go, which is why I have decided to give CG a try.

I believe I need a better cut - more layers, but don't know what to emphasize and what to leave to the hairdresser's discretion. I have a long inverted bob with a few layers just at the bottom, no bangs. I'd like to grow my hair a fair bit longer - about mid back. How important is a dry cut for wavy hair?

Any advice? What to ask for, what to demand, what to let be? My hairdresser is young and keen to please, willing to try different things.

Thanks a lot
Marle

Comments

• machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    mstoman wrote: »
    Hi! I just started trying out the CG method, have been using organic, paraben and SLS free shampoo for a few years, but not sulfate free. Stopped conditioning a couple of years ago. I usually blow dry it straight - just 5 mins after air drying. if I don't, it just looks unkempt - nothing major, but some frizz and a very slight wave with straight ends sticking out randomly - does not look groomed.

I'd like my hair to look good after wash and go, which is why I have decided to give CG a try.

I believe I need a better cut - more layers, but don't know what to emphasize and what to leave to the hairdresser's discretion. I have a long inverted bob with a few layers just at the bottom, no bangs. I'd like to grow my hair a fair bit longer - about mid back. How important is a dry cut for wavy hair?

Any advice? What to ask for, what to demand, what to let be? My hairdresser is young and keen to please, willing to try different things.

Thanks a lot
    Marle

I'm in the same boat. I'm a guy with shoulder length 2C wavy hair and need a cut bad. It's close to one length except for my face frame which a little below my jaw.

I know I need layers but don't want to have to keep maintaining layers. My hair is sort of weighed down but I don't want my hair on the curly side I want it on the wavy side.

I'm waiting for advice too.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair sounds exactly like mine when I first started the CG method! I thought it was barely wavy, but I was surprised at how curly it's become. I'd say it's now 2C/3A. I still have a lot of straighter bits, but I also have whorls and even a couple ringlets.

I had one Deva cut, and I hated it. It may have been just that stylist, or else my hair isn't right for a dry cut. I'm not sure. For me, because my curl pattern is not strong (some days one bit of hair will curl up tightly, other days it'll hang in an S curl, other days it'll be nearly straight) the dry cutting method doesn't really work for me. It ends up looking choppy and uneven. So I prefer a standard wet cut.

I don't have any advise on what to tell your stylist, other than just tell her what you said here. Rely on her expertise, and hopefully she'll do something good for you.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I am a 2a/2b wavy, and I get my hair cut wet. I don't think that a dry cut would do much for me; I've always had good luck with wet cuts. I also like straightening my hair on occasion, and a wet cut works best for that, if that's something you want to do periodically.

When I started going wavy, I found that my bob (it wasn't inverted) was really bushy at the back because I have a stronger curl pattern at the nape of my neck. So my stylist had to start cutting out chunks of hair at my nape. Many curlies on this board probably would have a heart attack at that statement, but it was just what my hair needed and worked great. (Note: This is NOT the same as using a thinning shears. Thinning shears are not recommended!)

When my hair was shorter, I found that I needed the top layer longer to get a better shape, but as my hair grew, my stylist took the top layer shorter again (at my request), because I felt that that might help give me more volume (it did).

So...I would just communicate a lot with your stylist. Tell her when you go in for subsequent haircuts what you liked about the cut and what you struggled with and need improved. She should be able to make tweaks as you go along. You'll both be learning, so it's OK if the cut isn't perfect right off the bat. And don't be afraid to call back in a week or two after a haircut if something just isn't working. Your stylist can probably fit you in for a quick appointment for free to fix whatever is going on.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I am a 2a/2b wavy, and I get my hair cut wet. I don't think that a dry cut would do much for me; I've always had good luck with wet cuts. I also like straightening my hair on occasion, and a wet cut works best for that, if that's something you want to do periodically.

When I started going wavy, I found that my bob (it wasn't inverted) was really bushy at the back because I have a stronger curl pattern at the nape of my neck. So my stylist had to start cutting out chunks of hair at my nape. Many curlies on this board probably would have a heart attack at that statement, but it was just what my hair needed and worked great. (Note: This is NOT the same as using a thinning shears. Thinning shears are not recommended!)

When my hair was shorter, I found that I needed the top layer longer to get a better shape, but as my hair grew, my stylist took the top layer shorter again (at my request), because I felt that that might help give me more volume (it did).

So...I would just communicate a lot with your stylist. Tell her when you go in for subsequent haircuts what you liked about the cut and what you struggled with and need improved. She should be able to make tweaks as you go along. You'll both be learning, so it's OK if the cut isn't perfect right off the bat. And don't be afraid to call back in a week or two after a haircut if something just isn't working. Your stylist can probably fit you in for a quick appointment for free to fix whatever is going on.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Therese1 wrote: »

Yea no more dry cuts for me. I don't like to wear my hair too curly as I like more chuncky waves. I'm not into all the scrunching stuff and products to make your hair curlier, I like my natural waves where they fall. When I got Deva Cuts there wasn't 'style' for my hair type.

My son showed me this video and said I should get my hair cut like this LOL. And my son told me he's located not too far from us and he himself would like to get a cut from him. Our sons hair is curly and thick as a rug but he doesn't want a curly cut but still wants to have curls.

https://youtu.be/wFOtU1Mbxz0

I like the style in the video. My hair is more waiver than the dude in the video but I think it would look good and he's much younger LOL.
  • mstomanmstoman Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. Based on your responses I went for a wet cut this morning and shorter top layers. While she was cutting, my hair looked so straight and very fine and dry, I'm sure she thought there's no chance to get a curl in there (I even started doubting myself :)). She diffused it upside down and when I sat up she just said wow!

It looked really good just then, but it has since become really frizzy and dry and the curls have changed into dry, fine, flyaway strawlike beach waves. I didn't ask what shampoo and conditioner she was using, but I'm sure it's the usual stuff. I'm hoping when I keep going with the CG products it will eventually become more like yours, JanieGirl.

At least I think the cut is going to be helpful with not weighing it down. And I think the wet cut was the right decision, although I might try a dry cut sometime in the future, just to test it. We'll have to see.

Thanks again!
    Marle
    mstoman, it's possible that your stylist used products that have silicones, in which case you will need to wash your hair with a sulfate shampoo to get the silicones out. Then you can continue with your CG regimen.

I generally have one day of really amazing waves right after a haircut, and then I get less volume afterward. I don't know why I have better volume for only a day or so after the haircut. I am wondering if it has something to do with the stylist basically straightening the wet hair with her comb before the hair is styled; maybe it's a rubberband effect. I want to experiment with using a fine-toothed comb in the shower once I have the conditioner in my hair, to see if that will help my curls spring up when I scrunch.

I hope that you can get your hair back to normal and enjoy your waves with this haircut.
    mstoman, it's possible that your stylist used products that have silicones, in which case you will need to wash your hair with a sulfate shampoo to get the silicones out. Then you can continue with your CG regimen.

I generally have one day of really amazing waves right after a haircut, and then I get less volume afterward. I don't know why I have better volume for only a day or so after the haircut. I am wondering if it has something to do with the stylist basically straightening the wet hair with her comb before the hair is styled; maybe it's a rubberband effect. I want to experiment with using a fine-toothed comb in the shower once I have the conditioner in my hair, to see if that will help my curls spring up when I scrunch.

I hope that you can get your hair back to normal and enjoy your waves with this haircut.
    mstoman wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. Based on your responses I went for a wet cut this morning and shorter top layers. While she was cutting, my hair looked so straight and very fine and dry, I'm sure she thought there's no chance to get a curl in there (I even started doubting myself :)). She diffused it upside down and when I sat up she just said wow!

It looked really good just then, but it has since become really frizzy and dry and the curls have changed into dry, fine, flyaway strawlike beach waves. I didn't ask what shampoo and conditioner she was using, but I'm sure it's the usual stuff. I'm hoping when I keep going with the CG products it will eventually become more like yours, JanieGirl.

At least I think the cut is going to be helpful with not weighing it down. And I think the wet cut was the right decision, although I might try a dry cut sometime in the future, just to test it. We'll have to see.

Thanks again!
    Marle

I'm getting a cut tomorrow. Well not a cut but a trim. I'm going to tell the stylist only long layers, nothing too dramatic. Went to him before and that's what he did.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file