We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

Incorrect BBC News Story Please Complain

BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users
I would have posted this on the Hall of Shame board but I thought I would get more traction here.

The story here is about a braider in St Louis who suddenly requires a licence to braid type 4 hair but none of the courses she is suppose to do to qualify for the licence actually cover any topics on type 4 hair. The story is here Sisterlocks struggle: Stylists want fewer restrictions to braid hair - BBC News

While it is good to highlight the stupid standards of regulators, in this case the Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examination, the issue I have with this story is this:
hundreds of tiny locks that allow women with coarse, tightly-wound hair to wear almost any style
The story is deliberately perpetuating the myth that the majority of black people with afro type hair particularly type 4 have coarse hair - the majority don't.

I'm just asking other posters to contact the BBC on this form - link to tell them that the story is in accurate and why.

Comments

• WavycatWavycat Posts: 281Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the link to the form. I sent my complaint in.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 351Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah most people with type 4 hair call their hair coarse whether it is or not because they don't know the definition.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file