Fine Curly Hair Routine Help!!

HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Registered Users Posts: 57
So, I have been following the CGM for quite a few years now and I still am not satisfied with my daily hair routine. My hair is fine, so I have a hard time figuring out which products work for my hair and which do not. I currently use LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel, and honestly, it's the only product that I cannot live without at the moment because it keeps my hair in place. I wouldn't consider it my "holy grail" though, but a lifesaver.

I want a new alternative away from this gel because I want my hair to be loose and free. When I use this Gel, it just holds my curls in place but it acts as a cast since it becomes hard and prevents my hair from going everywhere. Im just so tired of this curly ramen noodle hair look. There has to be another product out there that will work good for me without me having to run back to the gel.

Can someone recommend some hair products I could try like maybe a styling cream? Products that will turn out great after using a diffuser (which I cannot live without.) I am willing to experiment and start my hunt to find my holy grail product. I just need some help and guidance through this hair journey.

Comments

• Asia.ScarfiaAsia.Scarfia Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hey! Fine curly here. I have found that branching out and trying different products even not designed for my hair texture has been amazing.
    I have found that my hair particularly likes herbal gels. My three favorites are Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker, Giovanni Strong hold L.A. Natural styling gel, and Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets. The curl maker gel works particularly well with a diffuser, but don't be afraid to use a few good pumps. Makes nice juicy, soft curls. If there is anything it goes away when your hair is totally dry. The Giovanni is great on days you want a bit more hold, or mixed with a cream. I like mixing the Giovanni gel with Darcy's avocado and Wild Plum Twisting cream, which sounds heavy, but it is a nice light cream that is mostly water and Aloe, and doesn't contain heavy butters. The rockin tumblers is great for days where you want wild curls like in the movie brave. It contains flax and jojoba oil for control and moisture, and a little bit of Epsom Salt for curl activation. Works best when paired with a good moisturizer.
    I like to go for products that are strengthening AND moisturizing for creams and conditioners, because it seems to add some thickness without weighing down my fine curls. I like Desert Essence Soft Curls Cream, and Briogeo Avocado and quinoa curl cream. I am trying out Alaffia Beautiful Curls Activating Cream, which is designed for fine curls. It has similar ingredients to the Soft Curls Hair Cream, but has more humectant in it.
    Also, I have found that for me, too much moisture in my hair before adding product can make my hair dry flat. So I add my leave-in conditioner on wet hair, then rectangle and part p, and wrap in a t-shirt until my hair is only damp.
    Then I add my styling product, maintaining clumps by using either the praying hands method or scrunching (I don't like to scrunch with gel because it can cause more frizz.) in the product. Then when my curls are reasonably well set, I scrunch in a little oil or cream to encourage soft curls.
    For a more wild look, I add only a light leave-in (Shea Moisture JBCO is my favorite for this because it has almost zero hold and doesn't weigh my hair down, but it thickens, softens, and moisturized very well) and let it air dry on it's own, or diffuse a little bit until it is fluffy and fully shrunken. Then I use a lightweight cream, like one of the three I mentioned, and smooth a very light layer over my curls, then activate by adding just a tiny bit of water on my hands. And fluffing, and individually twirling pieces. A curl activating cream with lots of slip is best for this. Then if it frizzes a little too much, I use a butter or oil on the ends and a little on top to smooth it. This creates amazing wild Victoria from twilight type definition.
    Don't be afraid to use a little oil. Find a lightweight blend you like. My favorite so far is the Jessicurl oil blend, and it lasts forever. I also have some mango butter for when my hair can handle a little more weight. I have been wanting to try the Briogeo Ricardo Oil, but can't afford it right now. I believe all of these are CG approved, and they all wash out with just water, or a light co-wash, although I really like clarifying once a week with the Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo. Wonderful on the scalp.
    Start paying close attention to ingredients. My hairs favorite ingredients are :
    Aloe Vera, Jojoba oil, JBCO, Behentromonium Methosulfate, Quinoa protein, Marshmallow, Nettle, Flax, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Mango butter, Avocado Oil, natural gels like cellulose or pectin, and pumpkin seed oil.
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I have a big struggle too. All products end up building up on my hair and weighing it down. Currently the two main products I use are homemade catnip tea, which I use as a leave in in addition to RO, and Intelligent Nutrients firm hold hairspray. I get the opposite of ramen noodle curls--huge curls that are much bigger than most peoples.' But that could also have to do with haircut and styling techniques.

With the hairspray I use a little after squeezing out water (it's strong stuff) and then diffuse, so my hair doesn't get overly cast-y, and then I'll spray in some more partway through diffusing. I don't scrunch rapidly, but instead scrunch and pump with my microfiber towel, which seems to help hair from separating too much. You may want to try the ice queen method also for bigger clumps.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    I have a big struggle too. All products end up building up on my hair and weighing it down. Currently the two main products I use are homemade catnip tea, which I use as a leave in in addition to RO, and Intelligent Nutrients firm hold hairspray. I get the opposite of ramen noodle curls--huge curls that are much bigger than most peoples.' But that could also have to do with haircut and styling techniques.

With the hairspray I use a little after squeezing out water (it's strong stuff) and then diffuse, so my hair doesn't get overly cast-y, and then I'll spray in some more partway through diffusing. I don't scrunch rapidly, but instead scrunch and pump with my microfiber towel, which seems to help hair from separating too much. You may want to try the ice queen method also for bigger clumps.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Registered Users Posts: 57
    Hey! Fine curly here. I have found that branching out and trying different products even not designed for my hair texture has been amazing.
    I have found that my hair particularly likes herbal gels. My three favorites are Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker, Giovanni Strong hold L.A. Natural styling gel, and Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets. The curl maker gel works particularly well with a diffuser, but don't be afraid to use a few good pumps. Makes nice juicy, soft curls. If there is anything it goes away when your hair is totally dry. The Giovanni is great on days you want a bit more hold, or mixed with a cream. I like mixing the Giovanni gel with Darcy's avocado and Wild Plum Twisting cream, which sounds heavy, but it is a nice light cream that is mostly water and Aloe, and doesn't contain heavy butters. The rockin tumblers is great for days where you want wild curls like in the movie brave. It contains flax and jojoba oil for control and moisture, and a little bit of Epsom Salt for curl activation. Works best when paired with a good moisturizer.
    I like to go for products that are strengthening AND moisturizing for creams and conditioners, because it seems to add some thickness without weighing down my fine curls. I like Desert Essence Soft Curls Cream, and Briogeo Avocado and quinoa curl cream. I am trying out Alaffia Beautiful Curls Activating Cream, which is designed for fine curls. It has similar ingredients to the Soft Curls Hair Cream, but has more humectant in it.
    Also, I have found that for me, too much moisture in my hair before adding product can make my hair dry flat. So I add my leave-in conditioner on wet hair, then rectangle and part p, and wrap in a t-shirt until my hair is only damp.
    Then I add my styling product, maintaining clumps by using either the praying hands method or scrunching (I don't like to scrunch with gel because it can cause more frizz.) in the product. Then when my curls are reasonably well set, I scrunch in a little oil or cream to encourage soft curls.
    For a more wild look, I add only a light leave-in (Shea Moisture JBCO is my favorite for this because it has almost zero hold and doesn't weigh my hair down, but it thickens, softens, and moisturized very well) and let it air dry on it's own, or diffuse a little bit until it is fluffy and fully shrunken. Then I use a lightweight cream, like one of the three I mentioned, and smooth a very light layer over my curls, then activate by adding just a tiny bit of water on my hands. And fluffing, and individually twirling pieces. A curl activating cream with lots of slip is best for this. Then if it frizzes a little too much, I use a butter or oil on the ends and a little on top to smooth it. This creates amazing wild Victoria from twilight type definition.
    Don't be afraid to use a little oil. Find a lightweight blend you like. My favorite so far is the Jessicurl oil blend, and it lasts forever. I also have some mango butter for when my hair can handle a little more weight. I have been wanting to try the Briogeo Ricardo Oil, but can't afford it right now. I believe all of these are CG approved, and they all wash out with just water, or a light co-wash, although I really like clarifying once a week with the Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo. Wonderful on the scalp.
    Start paying close attention to ingredients. My hairs favorite ingredients are :
    Aloe Vera, Jojoba oil, JBCO, Behentromonium Methosulfate, Quinoa protein, Marshmallow, Nettle, Flax, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Mango butter, Avocado Oil, natural gels like cellulose or pectin, and pumpkin seed oil.
    \
    Thank you so much for the very detailed reply! I have looked into all the products you have suggested and will definitely be trying out the Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker first. Hopefully this will be a better gel for me rather than using the LA Looks. I will eventually look into purchasing the other products you have mentioned as well to figure out which works best with me. I recently bought a Briogeo Rosacro leave - in and it worked wonderfully with my hair. I will take note of their ingredients. Hopefully the oil and the Curl Charisma will work well on my hair as well. I am currently using Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk. I am not sure if it is weighing my hair down or not but I do notice I do not as much volume as I would have hoped for. I just want to finish the product since I spent a lot of money buying it since Shea Moisture products are quite pricey. I will use your method and experiment. Hopefully I find a new routine I like before I go on away in the summer.
    naturecat wrote: »

I never heard about homemade catnip tea being used as a RO or leave in. I will look into that. I looked up the hairspray and it seems to be CG friendly. I will look into purchasing it sometime because I have been looking to try a good CG hairspray instead of having to use gel all the time. Thanks you for sharing !
  • MoniqueZeldaMoniqueZelda Registered Users Posts: 3
    HEY ! I've been using a gel that works really great for me and that is pretty moisturizing. It's a coconut creme curling jelly by the brand renpure it locks in moisture really well its one of my holy grails that I use in every curly hair routine. I also have a video on youtube of my curly hair routine of me using this product http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJzXJ1yPck thats the link incase you want to watch to see how it works!
    HEY ! I've been using a gel that works really great for me and that is pretty moisturizing. It's a coconut creme curling jelly by the brand renpure it locks in moisture really well its one of my holy grails that I use in every curly hair routine. I also have a video on youtube of my curly hair routine of me using this product http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJzXJ1yPck thats the link incase you want to watch to see how it works!

Ughhhh I wish I had your hair! My fine hair can't handle all those conditioners.. It unfortunately weighs my hair down making it extremely harder for me to achieve volume :( . I've used renpure products before though, and they're really good. Btw, I love your hair and I'm happy you embrace the curly look (:
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Based on what your needs are, the CM Curlmaker might be worth a shot, though I've never used it myself.

Have you tried homemade flax seed gel? That I think gives a cast, but when the cast breaks, the hair is very smooth and frizz free, and there is no lasting hold.

Another possibility may be JessiCurl Confident Coils. This is a liquidy product that provides medium hold, but I don't find it to be stiff. You can adjust the hold based on how much of the product you use.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Based on what your needs are, the CM Curlmaker might be worth a shot, though I've never used it myself.

Have you tried homemade flax seed gel? That I think gives a cast, but when the cast breaks, the hair is very smooth and frizz free, and there is no lasting hold.

Another possibility may be JessiCurl Confident Coils. This is a liquidy product that provides medium hold, but I don't find it to be stiff. You can adjust the hold based on how much of the product you use.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Lately I've been using irish moss as a deep treatment. It provides both moisture and strength (a bit of protein too) but since I rinse it out it doesn't weigh down my hair. I've discovered that everything builds if I use it too much, so now I'm going to alternate between that and catnip tea.

3A/f/i
  • mcruznmcruzn Registered Users Posts: 8
    I too am a lover of the LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel, but if I scrunch out the crunch, it doesn't leave me with that ramen noodle look. I always use the GVP Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm as a rinse out and as a leave-in. I have been wanting to try something new in place of it though. I just bought The Mane Choice Crystal Orchid Biotin Infused Styling Gel at Sally's Beauty Supply. Today is the first day that I used it and I really like it. It does give my hair a very natural look (I almost feel like I have nothing in my hair), but with defined curls. I don't think that I used enough in the canopy area since my curls are a little looser than usual. Overall, I think it is a great alternative to the LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel and it seems to be much healthier for your hair. I will try using a bit more product tomorrow to see if that was the issue. You should try it out. :-)
    Mod-CG, 3A/3B, colored, fine, high porosity, low elasticity
    Low Poo: SM High Porosity or SM Coco & Hib Curl & Shine
    Daily Condish: GVP Matrix Biolage Cond Balm
    Leave-In: GVP Matrix Biolage Cond Balm
    Protein Condish:(after every shampoo): Giovanni Smooth As Silk DMC
    Masque (when needed): SM JBCOTM
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports Gel (blue one) or The Mane Choice Crystal Orchid Biotin Infused Styling Gel

• MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    I have just started using the Mane Choice Crystal Orchid styling gel. I also like it a lot. It is different from LALSG, but in ways I cant quite define. It does not feel still at all, that I agree with. I did use it with a tiny bit of KCCC, or Deva Foam the past two days. Just for a bit more hold.
  • gingersnapcurlygingersnapcurly Registered Users Posts: 12 Curl Neophyte
    I've had good luck with Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel. Yes, it's a gel, but it defines my curls and my hair is still soft and touchable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file