3A For a Decade, Now going Limp

Hello, everyone!

I am currently 25. Since I was 13 I have had 3A/3B hair but in the past month, it has turned limp (especially from root to mid-shaft). I currently use Garnier Fructis Curl Therapy (paraben and sulfate free) with the ApHogee Curlific Moisture Rich Leave-In and then the Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Styling Foam. As you can see in the "after" picture below, I have somewhat recently bleached and colored the end of my hair, but this limping effect had already occured previously. I recently tried the ApHogee Two Step Protein Treatment & Balanced Moisturizer. This really brought my curls back to nice and bouncy, but after two weeks, it is back to limp town. The treatment stated to only use it every six weeks, and I am looking for something that I am maybe doing wrong to help in the meantime. The after pictures below are from the end of the day. In the morning after the shower process, my roots are a little more lifted and the curls a little bigger, but they just fall even more throughout the day. It looks very calm in the photos. It can still be very frizzy and dry, especially on non-washing days. Any help is appreciated. I have heard that limp hair may have too much protein or too little and am officially confused on what to try.

Thank you!

Before
426648_10152918957315171_1004398515_n.jpg?oh=8b4a02078f1d4b2d8644b7cdda397ac2&oe=592E1FF3

After
?ui=2&ik=1b375e7a22&view=fimg&th=15ad9dcd29b013c7&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_j0d558073&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9hbxvogGrxKzgKQ4aXnYCNc_5r7jn5YLVbdGJcsPjO-RRcYUdnS3gX7vLy0qrFmvsldXNfFhoZHHWsUQ4EbAUoATnzV4Dh0WJQXjZOgigueN4W-INBKCmZrqg&ats=1489713812575&rm=15ad9dcd29b013c7&zw&sz=w1920-h950
?ui=2&ik=1b375e7a22&view=fimg&th=15ad9dcd29b013c7&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_j0d557zv2&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9tVg3VnP5Mfk63ZIpbyg0YUrMxeKf95gpQoFpHjwCFiE6Zsu5-ZMUpCZXLzLFtxjg7KW6B_7gVbBo4As8Nf7X-kPMoWFIj2k9TCY64dHXUpfeeeSinecdXtuU&ats=1489713812575&rm=15ad9dcd29b013c7&zw&sz=w1920-h950

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My pictures aren't working for this website so I can't see your after... but you can use protein more than once every 6 weeks. Bleached hair needs both moisture and protein, intensively, and won't curl the way your undamaged hair won't. You can use products with protein in them, or also google IA girl's protein treatment (gelatin with water).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Valerie.WoodValerie.Wood Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not sure if you could see the before, maybe the below picture will show? I linked it from a new website. I will try another protein treatment and see if there is any positive change. Thankfully, I took my time with the bleaching and the process didn't change my curl pattern much. I know there still is damage even if not noticeable from the outside.
    17342779_10158512343080171_7935623609188567979_n.jpg?oh=c3ca14c70e4f5d9361738d8c451f0e42&oe=595B3672
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,841Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Doesn't Aphogee have an at-home product? I would think that one could be used more often. But if not, you can use other protein-rich products in between the Aphogee treatments. Sally's has Colorful Neutral Protein Filler - it's watery stuff that can be added to your conditioner or gel. Other ones I know about are Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, or Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair. Or the gelatin treatment that was mentioned above. That one is my favorite, although it's sort of a hassle preparing it. But not really...but a ready-made product would be more convenient.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Valerie J.Valerie J. Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Novice
    Sometimes my hair goes limp with too much glycerin. I like to use Aubrey GPB Conditioner. You can get this at the Vitamin Shoppe, not too awfully expensive. It always seems to bring back my curls without drying my hair out. I'm pretty protein sensitive, but I can use this. I change up my products pretty frequently because if I keep using the same thing my hair seems to get bored and turns frizzy or limp. Good luck.
    3A, low porosity, fine.
    Shampoos- KC Come Clean, SheaMoisture Baby Head to Toe, CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse Out Cond - Biolage Cond Balm, AOGPB original
    Leave In - KCNT, Shea Moisture Leave in (white bottle) just bought YTC leave in
    Styling - Curls Goddess Curls (Target), ECO Styler Krystal :love1:, CJCQ, CJCIAB
    PT - ION Effective Care, Deva Heaven in Hair
    DT - SheaMoisture Mask, CJCR
    Pomade - Jane Carter Nourish & Shine
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Valerie J. wrote: »
    Sometimes my hair goes limp with too much glycerin. I like to use Aubrey GPB Conditioner. You can get this at the Vitamin Shoppe, not too awfully expensive. It always seems to bring back my curls without drying my hair out. I'm pretty protein sensitive, but I can use this. I change up my products pretty frequently because if I keep using the same thing my hair seems to get bored and turns frizzy or limp. Good luck.

I don't think they make Aubrey's GPB anymore.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    macher wrote: »

I don't think they make Aubrey's GPB anymore.

I saw it being sold online again (old formula) and I saw it in a local shop, a new formula, probably under the new company that bought out Aubrey's.

Anyway another protein treatment is gelatin and water, adjusted to your liking for strength.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file