Medium to longer hair - do you have layers cut in the back?

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My stylist cuts my hair awesome every time, and I'm now getting longer length for the first time in...well my entire life really. Since I have abandoned the stacked bob, I have been shying away from layers because I am lower density and I've been scared to have layers feel like a thinning of my hair. I am now approaching armpit length, depending on the day. Ive been evened out from the stacked bob for the most part. My shortest layers are probably shoulder length and now look like they go all the way around. But Im still new to visualizing how layers will affect my hair. .

I'd finally agreed to some subtle layers two or maybe three haircuts ago and I have ended up liking them so I'm getting braver with saying 'yes go ahead with layers,' and I know she knows I mean subtle layers. But this last time, I think she cut some layers in the back...which resulted in revealing some gaps in the longest sections in the middle after they clump. Or maybe it always looked like this pre-layers, I dont know, honestly I don't like the curl pattern back there so I try not to look at it if I don't have to. Should I tell her not to layer the back but only the sides next time, what is the best look?

Anyways, just curious what those with medium to long hair do for layers when you have them....do you have layers cut in the sides only, or do you have layers in the back as well, do you go long/subtle layers, short/dramatic layers, do you do the V shape cut, whats your style? Pics welcome!
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My old stylist moved away and since then had cuts that I haven't been happy with and now I haven't had a cut in a LONG time and need one.

Here's a pic when I got my hair cut from my old stylist. She cut my hair in layers because she told me she was. And she cut my hair wet. Don't know exactly what kind of layers or where but she always cut my hair good.

I'm pretty convinced that for wavy's a wet cut works better don't know for sure. Wavy's I think are in a different category that bonafied curly's. Yea in the pic I would say my hair is very wavy but it isn't curly if that makes sense.

https://imgur.com/a/8JQzZ
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    macher wrote: »
    My old stylist moved away and since then had cuts that I haven't been happy with and now I haven't had a cut in a LONG time and need one.

Here's a pic when I got my hair cut from my old stylist. She cut my hair in layers because she told me she was. And she cut my hair wet. Don't know exactly what kind of layers or where but she always cut my hair good.

I'm pretty convinced that for wavy's a wet cut works better don't know for sure. Wavy's I think are in a different category that bonafied curly's. Yea in the pic I would say my hair is very wavy but it isn't curly if that makes sense.

https://imgur.com/a/8JQzZ

You had a little bit of volume in that pic huh. I like it. Ya I always get a wet cut from mine, I'm sure she could do dry cut but she doesn't verbally offer it up, so I am not going to ask. She always give great cuts, it didn't matter what I come out with, it was gonna be cute. I agree about wavies maybe being better off with wet cuts, at least that has always worked for me so far.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    as you can see, my hair is not long. however i understand what you are saying and many years ago i did have stacked cuts in back and i always hated it. (back in the day before curly cuts, etc... and how to ask for a cut..._

there is a difference between a stacked cut and layering when they stack it the bottom layers are short, whereas with layering, they cut the top layers shorter.

so just don't go really short layers. talk with her about how it will look when iti is dry and where the shortest layer will be.

also, about your hair parting -- you might have a cowlick in the back. i do and i have to clip the hairs together in that one section as it dries.

hope this makes sense.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rbb wrote: »
    as you can see, my hair is not long. however i understand what you are saying and many years ago i did have stacked cuts in back and i always hated it. (back in the day before curly cuts, etc... and how to ask for a cut..._

there is a difference between a stacked cut and layering when they stack it the bottom layers are short, whereas with layering, they cut the top layers shorter.

so just don't go really short layers. talk with her about how it will look when iti is dry and where the shortest layer will be.

also, about your hair parting -- you might have a cowlick in the back. i do and i have to clip the hairs together in that one section as it dries.

hope this makes sense.

Yea I had more volume most likely because my hair was shorter and layered and it was summer and my hair gets whurly-er.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had my hair cut in long subtle layers when it was long and wavy vs curly. It looked good. always came out looking good. I got it cut dry. I think it just depends on the individual and the stylist. There are curlies who cut hair wet, and I know one who gets wet cuts and one length, and it still looks good, but she does have awesome hair and could probably do anything. Anyway I don't like radical layers in my short hair either, as I need good sized chunks to form the curl and am also low density. So I always ask for the layers to be close together in length, and not too many layers.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've just been trusting my stylist for the most part. I don't really understand haircuts. I get a wet cut, and if something doesn't work well, I let my stylist know the next time I go in, and she tweaks the next cut. So it's been a learning process for both of us. I would just let your stylist know what happened to your clumps in the back when you go in for your next haircut, or if it's been only a week and it's driving you nuts, give her a call and she will probably appreciate the chance to fix it if she can.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file