brushing

I know most of you are going to cringe. But.... I have fine, thin curly hair. My stylist suggested I start brushing with a 100% boar bristle brush a few times a week at night only. then re-wet in the AM and condition. Everything I'm reading is NO to brushing but only because it will frizz and yes, it will frizz but I'm just going to bed on it. She wanted my scalp to be stimulated. I've done this routine a few times now and my scalp feels so good. My hair never tangles because it's fine. I don't get much hair at all in the brush.
I had lost quite a bit of hair due to a hormone change that a Dr. did :( . And now that I"m on a good level for me, I have tiny hairs growing back SLOWLY. They stylist has curly hair. But.... brushing still scares me. I know it totally ruins the curl pattern after brushing but will it ruin it forever down the road?

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have fine, wavy hair and am starting to experiment with brushing too. I can refresh my waves on day 2 without brushing, but days 3 and later (if I can make it that far) require brushing to avoid the greasy look. So I've been brushing in the a.m. and then spritzing some water on the hair to calm the frizz and bring back a little wave (which is extremely loose at that point, but OK looking most of the time).

It may be that the scalp stimulation will encourage hair growth. If I were you, I would keep doing the brushing but monitor your hair. If you start noticing that after washing, your curl pattern isn't very good anymore, and that becomes a consistent problem, you could stop the brushing and see if that makes the hair texture go back to normal.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have fine, wavy hair and am starting to experiment with brushing too. I can refresh my waves on day 2 without brushing, but days 3 and later (if I can make it that far) require brushing to avoid the greasy look. So I've been brushing in the a.m. and then spritzing some water on the hair to calm the frizz and bring back a little wave (which is extremely loose at that point, but OK looking most of the time).

It may be that the scalp stimulation will encourage hair growth. If I were you, I would keep doing the brushing but monitor your hair. If you start noticing that after washing, your curl pattern isn't very good anymore, and that becomes a consistent problem, you could stop the brushing and see if that makes the hair texture go back to normal.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file