SOS! Save my sad bun!

Hi all,
Long post incoming but I would sincerely appreciate anyone who could help me!
I just made an account on here because i really need some help with my hair. For almost 6 years I have worn my hair back in a bun every single day. As far as I know, I have both 3B and 3A curls on my head.
I am tired of living with a bun on the back of my head and I really want to take care of my locks so they look nice. I love my curls but they are seriously troublesome. I hate having my hair in a bun. It is unflattering for my face shape and makes me look frumpy.
Some problems I have run into in trying to care for my head are that I am having trouble affording high quality products for my hair (broke student problems). It also seems like I have tried lots of things that don't give me the desired result. I also take night showers because I have to get up extremely early in the morning for classes and I have very little time in the morning to do my hair. I've run into the problem that I do my hair nice at night but even sleeping in a silk cap it is ruined and deformed in the morning. And in comes the trusty bun.
I feel like i am ruining my hair and scalp with this bun because my scalp is often irritated after a long day. Don't get me wrong, It's not a big rat's nest, but it needs help. It's always tangled and just not nice.
This is my current routine:

1. Shower using shampoo and conditioner every other day (i have tried 10's of thousands of shampoos and conditioners and I have no idea what I should be using)-i comb out my hair in the shower under water before i shampoo and condition.
2. Dry hair with a microfiber towel (the devatowel to be exact)
3. Comb with a wide-tooth comb to detangle while wet
4. Put in some leave-in conditioner (garnier fructis)
5. Put it up in the trusty bun and rearrange every few hours until the next shower.

tl;dr
Basically, I am horrible at taking care of my hair. I have hair down to just below my shoulder blades and it is a mix of 3A and 3B. It is very frizzy (yet somehow still soft) all down the shaft but a lot of times it gets oily on the scalp. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of products out there, and I don't know how to come up with a routine. I am also scared to buy expensive products in case they don't work. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to figure out what to do with my sad bun?

Thanks so much! :icescream:
3A mixed with 3B

On a crusade to fix my hair :tongue5:

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Are you familiar with the book Curly Girl: A Handbook, by Lorraine Massey? If not, that would be a great place to start. You could get it from your library, and if your local library doesn't have it, they can get it for you via interlibrary loan. Massey goes through various ingredients in hair products and points out what can be a problem for curly hair. She also talks a fair amount about technique. A lot of us find the book helpful, at least when getting started. You can make tweaks along the way if something doesn't work for you (e.g., Massey recommends washing hair with conditioner, but for some people with fine or low-porosity hair, gentle shampooing often works better).

I would start with the Massey book and then post your questions here once you start experimenting.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Are you familiar with the book Curly Girl: A Handbook, by Lorraine Massey? If not, that would be a great place to start. You could get it from your library, and if your local library doesn't have it, they can get it for you via interlibrary loan. Massey goes through various ingredients in hair products and points out what can be a problem for curly hair. She also talks a fair amount about technique. A lot of us find the book helpful, at least when getting started. You can make tweaks along the way if something doesn't work for you (e.g., Massey recommends washing hair with conditioner, but for some people with fine or low-porosity hair, gentle shampooing often works better).

I would start with the Massey book and then post your questions here once you start experimenting.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file