GVP Conditioning Balm Anyone

machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Since this a favorite in the wavy curly community I figured I'd give it a shot. What most do is use it as a rinse out and a leave in and that's what I did. I never do a rinse out and leave in, I always eitheir leave in all or rinse out some then S2C. I did the rinse all out then leave in and was a little worried that my hair would get weighed down. But watching videos a lot of hair was fine wheee mine is normal to high dense.

Honestly 1st day hair was a little wonky. Thought I over conditioned but I don't think it was, my hair was just nicely moisturized. It might have been border lined over conditioned though. Reason is I was surprised that the Balm wasn't creamy like conditioners I'm used to and I probably used more than I had too. After I cleansed I raked it / detangled and rinsed it all out. Then I applied some more and S2C and left whatever was left in. Then I applied LA Looks Sports Gel.

Like I said my hair was a little wonky but have to say I was surprised it was nicely moisturized.

The kicker was 2nd and 3rd day hair. The next day all it took was spritzing my hair with water and applying a very small amount of gel cut with water and my hair still had a nice amount of moisture and was able to retain moisture very well. I was suprised. Also what I liked was that my waves were toned down which I like. My hair can get somewhat 3A curly but maybe the Balm helped moisturize my hair to the point where it made waves not curls?

Got up this morning which is the 3rd day looked and felt my hair and it seemed ok. Put some Balm in my spritz bottle and spritzed my hair, added some gel cut with water and was suprised.

Overall I'm liking the Balm. My next wash day which will be tomorrow I'm not going to rinse all out then apply as a leave in. I'm going to apply, rake and S2C and leave whatever is left in to see.

Anyone use GVP Conditioning Balm?

Comments

• ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use GVP CB, its a holy grail for me. I use it religiously as a RO, but I dont usually use it as a leave in. I think the reason is because I always had too many other products to try out, and I was always trying to cram in as many products as I could to see what might work. So as my routine formed, the GVP became a mini in-shower deep conditioning/RO treatment. I also think I feared it being a little too heavy for my hair as I am a little bit lower density than most.
    I definitely think it helps moisturize better than alot of other conditioners I have tried. Something about it just does the trick. Id be scared to experiment going without it.
    Sometimes I wish it had a few more ingredients, because as it stands, it doesnt have a sealing emollient ingredient and only has one cationic conditioning ingredient. But it is protein free, humectant free, pretty much glycerine free (has prop glycol kinda far down the list i think), so that is probably why so many people love it.
    I have just discovered that avocado oil has a softening effect on my hair, so I may play around with mixing a few drops of avocado in with my gvp to help it seal with an oil that I think works for me.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    I use GVP CB, its a holy grail for me. I use it religiously as a RO, but I dont usually use it as a leave in. I think the reason is because I always had too many other products to try out, and I was always trying to cram in as many products as I could to see what might work. So as my routine formed, the GVP became a mini in-shower deep conditioning/RO treatment. I also think I feared it being a little too heavy for my hair as I am a little bit lower density than most.
    I definitely think it helps moisturize better than alot of other conditioners I have tried. Something about it just does the trick. Id be scared to experiment going without it.
    Sometimes I wish it had a few more ingredients, because as it stands, it doesnt have a sealing emollient ingredient and only has one cationic conditioning ingredient. But it is protein free, humectant free, pretty much glycerine free (has prop glycol kinda far down the list i think), so that is probably why so many people love it.
    I have just discovered that avocado oil has a softening effect on my hair, so I may play around with mixing a few drops of avocado in with my gvp to help it seal with an oil that I think works for me.

I'm hoping this will be my holy grail. My hair after 3 days is more moisturized than any other condish I've used. Like I said I used it as a RO and LI. My new wash day tomorrow I'm going to cleanse then leave it in but squish it in and leave whatever is left.

Is the Balm suppose to be thick but not that creamy? A creamy condish seems easier to distribute.

Here's my 3rd day hair. I work outside and my ends are a little dry, it's cold and dry. All I did this morning was out a little Balm in my spritz bottle and spritzed my hair.

https://imgur.com/gallery/cgT7w

How would a sealing emollient and cationic ingredient make it better?

Thanks
    macher wrote: »

I'm hoping this will be my holy grail. My hair after 3 days is more moisturized than any other condish I've used. Like I said I used it as a RO and LI. My new wash day tomorrow I'm going to cleanse then leave it in but squish it in and leave whatever is left.

Is the Balm suppose to be thick but not that creamy? A creamy condish seems easier to distribute.

Here's my 3rd day hair. I work outside and my ends are a little dry, it's cold and dry. All I did this morning was out a little Balm in my spritz bottle and spritzed my hair.

Thanks

Oh my, it looks cold in that pic! Love your waves though, they always look great when I see you post a pic.

I bet you will find that you will want continue to use the GVP.

Yes, its thicker than other conditioners. Its a hard squeeze getting it out of the bottle and I eventually start placing it upside down in my shower because I've accidentally thrown it straight outta the shower trying to get the contents down to the top whenever I store it right side up. I probably end up using more than needed since it is harder to distribute but I can argue its cheap enough that I can use alot of it.

As for the ingredients, when I did my hair analysis, it was recommended that I use products to increase hydration, softness, and reduce friction. Going by science-y's blog, I learned that some ingredients to increase hydration are panthenol, humectants, or hydrolized/small proteins. Some ingredients that can increase softness are the oils, good alcohols and esters and butters. Those also reduce friction. But detangling and reduced friction is mainly provided by cationic conditioners/surfectants(these are chlorides, bromides, behentromonium methosulfate, and some of the dimethylamines, also polyquats, guar hydroxypropyltrimdkdkdfj, and silicones), all of the things that can "build up." And some ingredients cross multiple areas.

When I select products, I try to make sure they're "well formulated" to include ingredients that hit the triple combo for me of softness, hydration, and slip.

SO this is what I perceive about GVP - it has emollients to smooth and soften with the myristyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, decyl oleate. It has the cationic conditioner/surfectant that increases slip and reduces friction with the cetrimonium chloride.
    However, there's nothing in there (I could be wrong) that is hydrating like panthenol or the smallest proteins. Nor does it contain any sealing power like oils or butters.
    It only gets a double combo for me. It is great at providing softness, and its pretty slippy....but why it moisturizes is beyond me but it does somehow, which is why I say it has something that "does the trick." I guess maybe there's a difference between moisturizing and hydrating, but i havent nailed that one down yet.

I said "sealing emollient" in my earlier post, which technically I think emollients and sealers are two different things. I *think* it could maybe be argued that the good alcohols have somewhat of a sealing effect...? Not sure. But I think oils are the sealing powerhouse.

Anyway I guess I think a sealing oil and more cationic conditioners could make it even more slippy and a sealer could certainly help to seal in those softening ingredients. If it had a humectant or hydrolized protein for hydration, maybe it could be even better....or maybe mess it all up, who knows!
    CG since 11/2014

Thanks

Oh my, it looks cold in that pic! Love your waves though, they always look great when I see you post a pic.

Yes, its thicker than other conditioners. Its a hard squeeze getting it out of the bottle and I eventually start placing it upside down in my shower because I've accidentally thrown it straight outta the shower trying to get the contents down to the top whenever I store it right side up. I probably end up using more than needed since it is harder to distribute but I can argue its cheap enough that I can use alot of it.

As for the ingredients, when I did my hair analysis, it was recommended that I use products to increase hydration, softness, and reduce friction. Going by science-y's blog, I learned that some ingredients to increase hydration are panthenol, humectants, or hydrolized/small proteins. Some ingredients that can increase softness are the oils, good alcohols and esters and butters. Those also reduce friction. But detangling and reduced friction is mainly provided by cationic conditioners/surfectants(these are chlorides, bromides, behentromonium methosulfate, and some of the dimethylamines, also polyquats, guar hydroxypropyltrimdkdkdfj, and silicones), all of the things that can "build up." And some ingredients cross multiple areas.

When I select products, I try to make sure they're "well formulated" to include ingredients that hit the triple combo for me of softness, hydration, and slip.

SO this is what I perceive about GVP - it has emollients to smooth and soften with the myristyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, decyl oleate. It has the cationic conditioner/surfectant that increases slip and reduces friction with the cetrimonium chloride.
    However, there's nothing in there (I could be wrong) that is hydrating like panthenol or the smallest proteins. Nor does it contain any sealing power like oils or butters.
    It only gets a double combo for me. It is great at providing softness, and its pretty slippy....but why it moisturizes is beyond me but it does somehow, which is why I say it has something that "does the trick." I guess maybe there's a difference between moisturizing and hydrating, but i havent nailed that one down yet.

I said "sealing emollient" in my earlier post, which technically I think emollients and sealers are two different things. I *think* it could maybe be argued that the good alcohols have somewhat of a sealing effect...? Not sure. But I think oils are the sealing powerhouse.

Anyway I guess I think a sealing oil and more cationic conditioners could make it even more slippy and a sealer could certainly help to seal in those softening ingredients. If it had a humectant or hydrolized protein for hydration, maybe it could be even better....or maybe mess it all up, who knows!

Thanks I also got an analysis from Gooseprints. She noted and was right that my hair gets dehydrated easily and maintaining hydration between washes. My hair is low po roots, medium mid shaft and slightly hi po on the ends. She also said I would benefit from protein treatments or products with protein or oil treatments. I've done Aubrey's protein treatment and left it on my hair for 3-5 minutes. Seems like I could have left it in longer as my hair didn't seem to mind it.

So my goal is hydration and maintaining hydration between washes which just did sort of have always been my problem. But I do have to watch out for over conditioning my hair. I think I nailed my over conditioning problem. I can use or moisturizing condish as a leave in but can't follow it up with another moisturizing product like Deva B'Leave In. Seems like if I follow up with a gel I'm good. However I did follow up rinsing all the GVP out them GVP as a leave in but I didn't leave it all in per se, I squished it out, a lot of white 'residue' was coming out.

Sorry for a possible recap LOL.

So my issues like I said are hydration and keeping my hair hydrates and protein or products than contain protein or oil treatments. The GVP so far seems to help with the hydration issue(cross my fingers). But I think I'm going to start protein treatments again. Since Aubrey's stopped making it I stopped.

Weird that GVP Balm 'isn't suppose to moisturize ' but it does. I didn't find it slippy like Deva One but for some reason it hydrated my hair better and especially between washes.

Thanks I also got an analysis from Gooseprints. She noted and was right that my hair gets dehydrated easily and maintaining hydration between washes. My hair is low po roots, medium mid shaft and slightly hi po on the ends. She also said I would benefit from protein treatments or products with protein or oil treatments. I've done Aubrey's protein treatment and left it on my hair for 3-5 minutes. Seems like I could have left it in longer as my hair didn't seem to mind it.

So my goal is hydration and maintaining hydration between washes which just did sort of have always been my problem. But I do have to watch out for over conditioning my hair. I think I nailed my over conditioning problem. I can use or moisturizing condish as a leave in but can't follow it up with another moisturizing product like Deva B'Leave In. Seems like if I follow up with a gel I'm good. However I did follow up rinsing all the GVP out them GVP as a leave in but I didn't leave it all in per se, I squished it out, a lot of white 'residue' was coming out.

So my issues like I said are hydration and keeping my hair hydrates and protein or products than contain protein or oil treatments. The GVP so far seems to help with the hydration issue(cross my fingers). But I think I'm going to start protein treatments again. Since Aubrey's stopped making it I stopped.

Weird that GVP Balm 'isn't suppose to moisturize ' but it does. I didn't find it slippy like Deva One but for some reason it hydrated my hair better and especially between washes.

Ya ...there is something about the formulation that moisturizes and keeps it moisturized, but by looking at the ingredients, its not so obvious to me what is the key. Definitely use something somewhere in your routine that contains oils to seal, or just seal with oil by hand.
    Right now the dry cold air is doing a real number on those of us who struggle with hydration. I could venture to say that when temps finally warm up and humidity comes back into play, maybe it will not be so hard to stay hydrated. In this case of cold dry air, it may be good for you that GVP has no humectants.

I really havent felt like I have had the over conditioning problem. But then again, I also dont condition all that much by comparison. I dont do separate conditioning treatments. Right now I have some quat build up because I had been experimenting with mousse instead of curl enhancer.
    CG since 11/2014

Ya ...there is something about the formulation that moisturizes and keeps it moisturized, but by looking at the ingredients, its not so obvious to me what is the key. Definitely use something somewhere in your routine that contains oils to seal, or just seal with oil by hand.
    Right now the dry cold air is doing a real number on those of us who struggle with hydration. I could venture to say that when temps finally warm up and humidity comes back into play, maybe it will not be so hard to stay hydrated. In this case of cold dry air, it may be good for you that GVP has no humectants.

I really havent felt like I have had the over conditioning problem. But then again, I also dont condition all that much by comparison. I dont do separate conditioning treatments. Right now I have some quat build up because I had been experimenting with mousse instead of curl enhancer.

Yea when it gets humid my waves pop.

I don't want to mess with a good thing. Want to keep using GVP. I'll try your suggestion and seal with oil by hand. When you seal with oil, what kind of oil and do I apply it to soaking wet hair? What about applying gel?

I don't want to mess with a good thing. Want to keep using GVP. I'll try your suggestion and seal with oil by hand. When you seal with oil, what kind of oil and do I apply it to soaking wet hair? What about applying gel?

Sometimes I will mix it with a product: I will use a dropper, and drop three or four drops of oil onto whatever product I'm about to put on, usually a leave in conditioner. Ill mix it up with my finger for a few seconds and then rub it all in my hands and fingers and then distribute it all through as normal.
    Or alternatively, I might apply it directly to my soaking wet hair after I apply leave in. Using two or three drops per side, Ill drop the drops in my palm and rub em in, and then use praying hands method to apply it from about the ear down.

I feel like that should seal in some leave in hopefully.
    Then Ill go ahead with curl enhancer, and then gel just like normal.

I have bought probably 8 different oils experimenting but really the best ones Ive found for me so far are the jojoba oil, and the avocado oil. I decided to try avocado when I found a bottle of the old Tresemme Naturals formula in my cabinet and my hair loved it. I read the ingredients and saw that avocado was in it and was pretty much not in anything else Id ever used. So I bought the oil and I think it is kinda softening. I dont know, coconut is not a game changer for me really, nor is olive or canola, or even argan oil didnt do me any good, and i had high hopes for argan.

The softest my hair EVER got was with a Pantene whip mousse that had mineral oil and some super perfect formulation that was perfect for me, yet it had no hold whatsoever and I was the frizziest Id ever been. I have read that mineral and castor oil are the MOST sealing oils in the spectrum because they form a water barrier better than any other, however, there is alot of ire throughout the natural community about them being non-environmentally friendly sourced, nor "breathable" to the hair they seal so well. So there's that. Products with mineral or castor oils are something to think about if you are really trying to seal in moisture. But they may or may not do well on you so it would be an experiment.
    CG since 11/2014

Sometimes I will mix it with a product: I will use a dropper, and drop three or four drops of oil onto whatever product I'm about to put on, usually a leave in conditioner. Ill mix it up with my finger for a few seconds and then rub it all in my hands and fingers and then distribute it all through as normal.
    Or alternatively, I might apply it directly to my soaking wet hair after I apply leave in. Using two or three drops per side, Ill drop the drops in my palm and rub em in, and then use praying hands method to apply it from about the ear down.

I have bought probably 8 different oils experimenting but really the best ones Ive found for me so far are the jojoba oil, and the avocado oil. I decided to try avocado when I found a bottle of the old Tresemme Naturals formula in my cabinet and my hair loved it. I read the ingredients and saw that avocado was in it and was pretty much not in anything else Id ever used. So I bought the oil and I think it is kinda softening. I dont know, coconut is not a game changer for me really, nor is olive or canola, or even argan oil didnt do me any good, and i had high hopes for argan.

The softest my hair EVER got was with a Pantene whip mousse that had mineral oil and some super perfect formulation that was perfect for me, yet it had no hold whatsoever and I was the frizziest Id ever been. I have read that mineral and castor oil are the MOST sealing oils in the spectrum because they form a water barrier better than any other, however, there is alot of ire throughout the natural community about them being non-environmentally friendly sourced, nor "breathable" to the hair they seal so well. So there's that. Products with mineral or castor oils are something to think about if you are really trying to seal in moisture. But they may or may not do well on you so it would be an experiment.

Thanks. I read somewhere pure olive might work. Tomorrow I'm gong to put a couple of drops of olive oil in the GVP and see how that goes. I'm going to S2C the GVP in and and not rinse it will get a decent amount out by squishing it out this time around. Hopefully the olive oil will help.

Thanks. I read somewhere pure olive might work. Tomorrow I'm gong to put a couple of drops of olive oil in the GVP and see how that goes. I'm going to S2C the GVP in and and not rinse it will get a decent amount out by squishing it out this time around. Hopefully the olive oil will help.

Let us know the results! Ive noticed that I can really load up on the GVP and it really doenst really seem to feel too producty after it all dries that i remember.
    CG since 11/2014

Let us know the results! Ive noticed that I can really load up on the GVP and it really doenst really seem to feel too producty after it all dries that i remember.

Ok. Instead of waiting until tomorrow morning I decided to do my wash day no since I'm going into work tonight instead of the morning.

What I did was cleansed, then applied GVP and detangled. After I detangled I S2C without adding more and sort of trickle rinsed some out, then I shut off shower and squished as much as I could out. Then I praying hand applied a couple drop of olive oil. Then I squished some LA Sports Gel in. Then tee shirt scrunched dried as much as I could now it's air drying. I'll keep you posted as it air dries or when it air dries but it's going to at least 3 - 4 hours LOL.

But sometimes I can tell how it might turn out when it's wet. Looking good. Looks like I might get those chunky thick waves. I don't like my hair too curly so I'm ok with that. I'm not looking to clump if that makes sense. If my hair can get hydrated that's all that matters and everything will fall into place. We'll see if I left too much GVP in and whether or not I should have trickled rinsed more to get some out. When I squished it out felt like there might be too much left it, don't know.

I got a lot of weight on the top of my hair and in need of a cut or something so that could be a factor too.
    Hair air drying. Like I said in another post my 1st day hair looked a little wonky. Air drying it looks a little wonky but I'm ok with that.

https://imgur.com/gallery/x4VF0
    Hair air drying. Like I said in another post my 1st day hair looked a little wonky. Air drying it looks a little wonky but I'm ok with that.

The waves look pretty uniform from the pic and you might find that after using an oil, the hair may look shinier or still a little wet even when fully dry, especially on day 1. I'm used to my hair looking dull so when I use oil, it looks shinier. It looks like there's less clumping and I think you said youre not going for that anyway. Oil can be used at any step in the process so if it ends up not what you expect, then you can try it in a different order. Looks good!
    CG since 11/2014

The waves look pretty uniform from the pic and you might find that after using an oil, the hair may look shinier or still a little wet even when fully dry, especially on day 1. I'm used to my hair looking dull so when I use oil, it looks shinier. It looks like there's less clumping and I think you said youre not going for that anyway. Oil can be used at any step in the process so if it ends up not what you expect, then you can try it in a different order. Looks good!

Ok here's a pic close to 7 hours later. I fell asleep with my hair prettt wet and crunchy. Anyway I woke up and refreshed it with my fingers. Got those chunky thick waves and less clumping. My 2nd day hair always looks better so we'll see. Don't know about tomorrow as I'll be working outside in the blizzard tonight into tomorrow and although I don't wear hats I might or wear my band. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/gallery/rCUQT

Ok here's a pic close to 7 hours later. I fell asleep with my hair prettt wet and crunchy. Anyway I woke up and refreshed it with my fingers. Got those chunky thick waves and less clumping. My 2nd day hair always looks better so we'll see. Don't know about tomorrow as I'll be working outside in the blizzard tonight into tomorrow and although I don't wear hats I might or wear my band. Thanks!

Well it's looks really good. I like the thick waves on you. How does it feel as far as softness, moisture retention, and productyness? It certainly doesn't look dry or dull even on the ends, so maybe that's a sign of a well hydrated state.
    CG since 11/2014

Well it's looks really good. I like the thick waves on you. How does it feel as far as softness, moisture retention, and productyness? It certainly doesn't look dry or dull even on the ends, so maybe that's a sign of a well hydrated state.

Thanks. Feels nicely hydrated and soft. Moisture retention I guess time will tell. It doesn't feel producty. I did put too much gel and on with the combo of falling sleep with my hair still wet I bet it would look better. Yea my ends are not dry at all which is something I always had a hard time doing. Yea maybe a sign of well hydrated hair!

Was working in a blizzard for 16 hours working outside mostly. I hardly ever wear hats but had too this time cause it was windy and icy snow coming down. There were times I just wore a band that covers my ears.

How did my hair hold up? Surprisingly well. I'm pretty much sold on the GVP Balm as I think it's the factor.

Now consider my hair got beat up pretty bad and also wearing a hat. Even wearing a hat my hair was still sticking out on my shoulders so my ends should be all dried out but not quite. Just a little but you have to consider the elements I was in. Here it goes. Yea I'm beat tired.

https://imgur.com/a/Y5jkO

Was working in a blizzard for 16 hours working outside mostly. I hardly ever wear hats but had too this time cause it was windy and icy snow coming down. There were times I just wore a band that covers my ears.

How did my hair hold up? Surprisingly well. I'm pretty much sold on the GVP Balm as I think it's the factor.

Now consider my hair got beat up pretty bad and also wearing a hat. Even wearing a hat my hair was still sticking out on my shoulders so my ends should be all dried out but not quite. Just a little but you have to consider the elements I was in. Here it goes. Yea I'm beat tired.

Very nice! Wow after being out in the elements and being under a hat for some time...you still have well formed waves and they look shiny and moisturzed all the way to the ends. Thats a great result. I knew you would like the GVP. Even if you used a little bit too much by your normal standards, it might be wise to use too much on purpose on days or nights you know you will be out in the very low temps and/or high winds - just extra protection for those ends. Edit: Well unless you worry about over-conditioning which I know you have mentioned. Just something to think about though.
    CG since 11/2014

Very nice! Wow after being out in the elements and being under a hat for some time...you still have well formed waves and they look shiny and moisturzed all the way to the ends. Thats a great result. I knew you would like the GVP. Even if you used a little bit too much by your normal standards, it might be wise to use too much on purpose on days or nights you know you will be out in the very low temps and/or high winds - just extra protection for those ends. Edit: Well unless you worry about over-conditioning which I know you have mentioned. Just something to think about though.

Thanks! Seems my hair gets over conditioned when I a very moisturizing conditioner followed by a very moisturizing leave in like Deva B'Leave In. Also my hair got over conditioned when I did a protein treatment with a Shea product that Gooseprints told was very moisturizing which I didn't know, then followed it up with Deva One conditioner which is very moisturizing. That's why I don't use leave ins anymore, I do a 3 step. Also that's why I'm nervous about doing protein treatments since Aubrey's doesn't make it anymore. In my routine I'm pretty sure all I need is a pretty moisturizing conditioner then a gel. Of yea forgot about some protein too.
    Hey ttoosday,

Woke up this morning checked out my hair. Didn't look bad. Took my spritz bottle filled it up with water and added a small amount of GVP and shook it up. Spritzed it in the shower cause I figured the steam might help.

Surprisingly my hair turned out good despite being in bad weather and wearing a hat most of the day yesterday.

Some frizz but that's ok. Overall I'm happy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MTg9A
    Hey ttoosday,

Woke up this morning checked out my hair. Didn't look bad. Took my spritz bottle filled it up with water and added a small amount of GVP and shook it up. Spritzed it in the shower cause I figured the steam might help.

Surprisingly my hair turned out good despite being in bad weather and wearing a hat most of the day yesterday.

Some frizz but that's ok. Overall I'm happy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MTg9A

Another great result, and day 2? Hair goals! I don't even really see all that much frizz and it still looks like nice, shiny, uniform waves. Are you going to push it to see how a day 3 might turn out? I think you've got something good going with the GVP. I have yet to see anyone not like that product. Now lets cross our fingers and hope they never discontinue it or try to mess with the ingredients.
    CG since 11/2014
    Hey ttoosday today was a wash day. Cleansed then conditioned and detangled my hair with the GVP. Then I used a wide tooth comb this time. Rinsed it all out. Then I applied about a nickle size of GVP as a leave in and lightly scrunched raked it. Then cotton tee shirt scrunched dried it for a little bit.

This time around I'm not going to use any gel. I actually don't like gels although they produce more hold. I'm not looking for hold but only for my hair to be and stay hydrated. I know gels help seal it in but wanted to try something different. I might dry a couple of drops of pure olive oil. Just want my hair to be as close to it's natural raw state. Will keep you posted. Again most important thing is that my hair will maintain hydration. It has been and want to see if a gel helped that or not.

Darn I need a cut my hair is heavy on top lol.
    Like I said above I'm not going to use gel and I didn't. What I did was after about 2 hours I took some olive oil and ran it through my hair a couple times like I was going to make a pony tail then shook my head.

Not bad... I'll keep you posted whether or not my hair stays hydrated without gel. Feels pretty hydrated now. I'm pretty sure I need a protein treatment also. Or get the protein drop from Sally's and add it to the GVP.

ttoosday I got to know. GVP doesn't have slip nearly as much as Deva One but it seems to hydrate better. What makes GVP more hydrating if there's not a lot of slip? Or am I not applying enough? Not that it's a bad thing.

https://imgur.com/a/v5aI3

Edit: gong to have to wear a hat it's cold and windy.
    Decided not to wear a hat and get my hair beat up in the cold dry wind. No gel just olive oil.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HfLYQ
    Decided not to wear a hat and get my hair beat up in the cold dry wind. No gel just olive oil.

For not having any gel, I think the waves held up pretty well. I spy some flyaways however that would be expected after being in the wind and the elements. But the waves still look well formed and intact. I'd say that's a great result. More importantly, did it retain moisture? I tend to think every layer of product goes toward holding in moisture and protecting those cuticles, even gel, by way of forming a solid coating that becomes the gel cast after drying. But that just maybe my weird way of visualizing it. But if the GVP or oil or both can retain the moisture, then the less products the better.

I need to look closer at the GVP and see what ingred I'm overlooking. Something causes it to be very moisturizing and very slippy but I just don't know what it is. Unless it's just the magic of the proportions in the formula that creates the results.
    CG since 11/2014

For not having any gel, I think the waves held up pretty well. I spy some flyaways however that would be expected after being in the wind and the elements. But the waves still look well formed and intact. I'd say that's a great result. More importantly, did it retain moisture? I tend to think every layer of product goes toward holding in moisture and protecting those cuticles, even gel, by way of forming a solid coating that becomes the gel cast after drying. But that just maybe my weird way of visualizing it. But if the GVP or oil or both can retain the moisture, then the less products the better.

I need to look closer at the GVP and see what ingred I'm overlooking. Something causes it to be very moisturizing and very slippy but I just don't know what it is. Unless it's just the magic of the proportions in the formula that creates the results.

Yea the waves are staying intact. As for the flyaways I'm OK with that. What I do for work I don't have to look good LOL. But when I get home maybe I'll try to use my water GVP spritz mix and touch it up. Still have 4 hours to go until I get home.

How's my hair retaining moisture? It's retaining but not as good as it was. As long as my hair can stay like this for the rest of work I'll be happy. Even though I HATE wearing hats I think wearing one helped or it could be the gel not sure.

Yea the waves are staying intact. As for the flyaways I'm OK with that. What I do for work I don't have to look good LOL. But when I get home maybe I'll try to use my water GVP spritz mix and touch it up. Still have 4 hours to go until I get home.

How's my hair retaining moisture? It's retaining but not as good as it was. As long as my hair can stay like this for the rest of work I'll be happy. Even though I HATE wearing hats I think wearing one helped or it could be the gel not sure.

Ya, I just cant imagine that anyone could retain very much moisture in cold dry wind without a hat of some kind. Right now is a good time to experiment tho, when its really cold and the wind is high to see what works and what doesn't.
    CG since 11/2014

Ya, I just cant imagine that anyone could retain very much moisture in cold dry wind without a hat of some kind. Right now is a good time to experiment tho, when its really cold and the wind is high to see what works and what doesn't.

Maybe the heat helps wearing a hat. I usually get hat hair but from my ears down my hair stays wavy.

Maybe the heat helps wearing a hat. I usually get hat hair but from my ears down my hair stays wavy.

Don't ya love it when you have to give up one thing to get another.

So I am looking over the ingredients with a fine toothed comb. I definitely overlooked the fact that the humectant propylene glycol is like the first ingredient. Huge oversight on my part, considering according to tightlycurly website dictionary, prop glycol is a humectant that is 2nd only to water in moisture carrying capabilities. So there's the big mystery even though it's not a mystery at all. GVP does have a humectant and not only that, it's the first ingredient. So, there's me being a bonehead but I was going off a spreadsheet I made two years ago before I learned about and was tracking humectants in my products, and was barely learning about good alcohols!
    CG since 11/2014

So I am looking over the ingredients with a fine toothed comb. I definitely overlooked the fact that the humectant propylene glycol is like the first ingredient. Huge oversight on my part, considering according to tightlycurly website dictionary, prop glycol is a humectant that is 2nd only to water in moisture carrying capabilities. So there's the big mystery even though it's not a mystery at all. GVP does have a humectant and not only that, it's the first ingredient. So, there's me being a bonehead but I was going off a spreadsheet I made two years ago before I learned about and was tracking humectants in my products, and was barely learning about good alcohols!

Thanks bonehead LOL. I need to learn how to read ingredients.

Wow that's a great thing! Damn that's why my hair is hydrated more than anything else I've tried. It's because of the humectant being 1st.

BUT... so far it's GREAT for winter. What about when it gets humid as heck in Philly though? Maybe use less GVP? My hair loves humidity.

Wow that's a great thing. Damn that's why my hair is hydrated more than anything gbelsw because of the humectant being 1st.

BUT... so far it's GREAT for winter. What about when it gets humid as heck in Philly though? Maybe use less GVP? My hair loves humidity.

Well, thats a good question, but I think that's where you will just have to experiment. I have read threads on here where people try to avoid humectants altogether, especially glycerine. I tried that once, and it was a disaster of dryness and stiffness. So I quizzed the science-y blogger about it and she said that most people need some humectant because without it holding moisture or attracting moisture, our products could turn into a hard coating, if you can somewhat imagine that, and so that cause the stiffness and the dry straw feeling. So, me personally, I wouldn't be afraid of using it even in the humidity. However, where I live in central Ok, the the dew points go from being too low to too high in the span of about a month, and so there's no product in the world that protects enough against the humidity here, and eliminating humectants does absolutely nothing for me but cause stiffness.
    Unfortunately, it will be a case of experimenting to see how much moisture you retain or absorb in the humidity. Perhaps when the humidity is up you can use it as a rinse out only and that may be enough humectant for you.
    CG since 11/2014