What happened to all the vloggers?

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I had happily subscribed to probably 10 or 15 curly or wavy vloggers and was loving all the technique tutorials, reviews, routines, and general boost of confidence gained from watching all these lovely people filming themselves talking for strangers' gain. It's been a year in some cases, and most of them haven't made a video! What happened? Is it a lull because of the winter season, or did they run out of products to go on about, did they kick the bucket?! I hope spring brings a revival of my favorite vloggers with new advice on their routines and products cuz I'm starved for others' hair knowledge!
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the decline of this message board might affect subscribers to their channels, sadly. Maybe I'm wrong. Without a place to exchange experiences and ideas, there seems to be less motivation.

    3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • guineapigsrcuteguineapigsrcute Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Who are these YouTubers? I'm subscribed to a bunch as well and a few of them are still regularly uploading videos, like RisasRizos and another one I can't remember at the moment lol.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Who are these YouTubers? I'm subscribed to a bunch as well and a few of them are still regularly uploading videos, like RisasRizos and another one I can't remember at the moment lol.

    The ones I subscribed to awhile back were Chupie, polished curl, curlykatmarie, shalimarcat, Wavy library aka sciencey hair blogger, Wurly curly girl. Those I'm pretty sure or very sure were regular posters on this forum. Others that I don't know if they used this forum also have not made recent videos. The ones that are still active or kinda active are rockyncurls, curlypenny, just curly. Some of these vloggers were putting out at least 1 vid per month if not more and now, it's been 4, 8 or 11 months or more. I realize people are busy with life. But I just wish life wasn't so crazy and they had time to fit in helping in the curly hair community like they used to.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if they have done all the experiments that they wish to do and are now happy with their hair, and as a result there is not much to post about. Maybe they found a method that works and so aren't trying so many new things?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I wonder if they have done all the experiments that they wish to do and are now happy with their hair, and as a result there is not much to post about. Maybe they found a method that works and so aren't trying so many new things?

    Could be or there isn't too much video to post on a regular basis and.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    naturecat wrote: »
    I think the decline of this message board might affect subscribers to their channels, sadly. Maybe I'm wrong. Without a place to exchange experiences and ideas, there seems to be less motivation.
    This is so sad. I try to follow the curlyhair subreddit but its Deva Deva Deva Deva Deva all the time, like I almost suspect that Deva is having people make accounts to promote the product and haircuts. Deva is the first product everybody tries and Id wager most folks move on to other products after a while. Im happy for people who find products and routines that work for them, but I get tired of the constant deva promos going on on that site.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    naturecat wrote: »
    I think the decline of this message board might affect subscribers to their channels, sadly. Maybe I'm wrong. Without a place to exchange experiences and ideas, there seems to be less motivation.
    This is so sad. I try to follow the curlyhair subreddit but its Deva Deva Deva Deva Deva all the time, like I almost suspect that Deva is having people make accounts to promote the product and haircuts. Deva is the first product everybody tries and Id wager most folks move on to other products after a while. Im happy for people who find products and routines that work for them, but I get tired of the constant deva promos going on on that site.

    Yea I agree it's like product promotion there. What I like about this board it's more technical and not showing off your hair like they do on Reddit.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    macher wrote: »
    ttoosday wrote: »
    naturecat wrote: »
    I think the decline of this message board might affect subscribers to their channels, sadly. Maybe I'm wrong. Without a place to exchange experiences and ideas, there seems to be less motivation.
    This is so sad. I try to follow the curlyhair subreddit but its Deva Deva Deva Deva Deva all the time, like I almost suspect that Deva is having people make accounts to promote the product and haircuts. Deva is the first product everybody tries and Id wager most folks move on to other products after a while. Im happy for people who find products and routines that work for them, but I get tired of the constant deva promos going on on that site.


    Yea I agree it's like product promotion there. What I like about this board it's more technical and not showing off your hair like they do on Reddit.

    Yes, the technical part is important to me cuz I want to know why or what ingredient caused whatever happened, whether it was a bad result, or more importantly, a good one! Now, I will say I dont mind the photos. I actually like to see what other people call good results and especially in the 2B range. It does seem like there is a little bit more representation of the wavies in my range there. However, they tend to lack the technical knowlegde I like.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    macher wrote: »
    ttoosday wrote: »
    This is so sad. I try to follow the curlyhair subreddit but its Deva Deva Deva Deva Deva all the time, like I almost suspect that Deva is having people make accounts to promote the product and haircuts. Deva is the first product everybody tries and Id wager most folks move on to other products after a while. Im happy for people who find products and routines that work for them, but I get tired of the constant deva promos going on on that site.


    Yea I agree it's like product promotion there. What I like about this board it's more technical and not showing off your hair like they do on Reddit.

    Yes, the technical part is important to me cuz I want to know why or what ingredient caused whatever happened, whether it was a bad result, or more importantly, a good one! Now, I will say I dont mind the photos. I actually like to see what other people call good results and especially in the 2B range. It does seem like there is a little bit more representation of the wavies in my range there. However, they tend to lack the technical knowlegde I like.

    Here's a great Vlogger who's a bonafied wavy like myself. She's new and hope she continues. Her videos are Great.

    https://youtu.be/9V_n-2grOhg
  • guineapigsrcuteguineapigsrcute Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to subscribe to shalimarcat too but then she straightened her hair, deleted her videos and made her instagram private so I wouldn't bother with her at this point.

    IndiaBatson is the one I forgot above but she's been good at uploading videos. I wish waterlily716 would upload more.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used to subscribe to shalimarcat too but then she straightened her hair, deleted her videos and made her instagram private so I wouldn't bother with her at this point.

    IndiaBatson is the one I forgot above but she's been good at uploading videos. I wish waterlily716 would upload more.

    Well thats interesting about shalimarcat. Her Youtube/Insta was just mentioned in an article as a good resource (among other vloggers) on Naturally Curly's FB page which is what made me even think about it. So were a few of my faves honestly.

    Ill check out IndiaBatson, thanks for that suggestion.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know I need to do one. I have cut my hair and also am transitioning to gray so now I have something new to talk about! I am an older vlogger though, so I don't think I get all that many hits. Ageism is real y'all. lol.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Also why is this board still so broken? It's the reason I don't come here anymore. I try once in a while but half the time I can't seem to post. : (
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    chupie wrote: »
    Also why is this board still so broken? It's the reason I don't come here anymore. I try once in a while but half the time I can't seem to post. : (

    Yes it's still broken and it's so frustrating. I guess the mods or the techs are in a coma because no one ever does anything about it.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • foggybrainfoggybrain Posts: 21Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Chupie! You need to keep posting. I learned so much from your posts and videos! Some of us counted on you.

    I guess I should have said thank you sooner, but I'm saying it now. Don't abandon us again, please.
    2c/3a; moderately coarse; low porosity; medium density
    Still looking for HG products
    Live where it's perpetually Springtime with fog and wind
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    chupie wrote: »
    I know I need to do one. I have cut my hair and also am transitioning to gray so now I have something new to talk about! I am an older vlogger though, so I don't think I get all that many hits. Ageism is real y'all. lol.

    I would love to see more videos from you! You and I are around the same age, and our hair is similar, so it's nice to see someone I can relate to.

    They're doing something to the boards, just not sure what. At least we can post now. For a couple weeks it was completely impossible, and for months before that it was more trouble than it was worth. Comparable to that, at least now it's relatively painless to post messages.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    janiegirl wrote: »
    chupie wrote: »
    I know I need to do one. I have cut my hair and also am transitioning to gray so now I have something new to talk about! I am an older vlogger though, so I don't think I get all that many hits. Ageism is real y'all. lol.

    I would love to see more videos from you! You and I are around the same age, and our hair is similar, so it's nice to see someone I can relate to.

    They're doing something to the boards, just not sure what. At least we can post now. For a couple weeks it was completely impossible, and for months before that it was more trouble than it was worth. Comparable to that, at least now it's relatively painless to post messages.

    I'm a very happily married over 50 guy. I find woman around my age MUCH MUCH sexier than younger ones. My wife is my age and yes I think she's HOT and she puts younger woman to shame.

    So I would prefer to watch someone 'older' like myself.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    chupie wrote: »
    I know I need to do one. I have cut my hair and also am transitioning to gray so now I have something new to talk about! I am an older vlogger though, so I don't think I get all that many hits. Ageism is real y'all. lol.

    On the same note as macher, not only that but our hair changes as we age! Im getting to where i can see 40 just down the road and my hair has changed from when I was in my mid 20's. So while its nice to see all the younger people establishing life long hair care habits, its also nice to see people who may have had age-related hair changes as well.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file