Hairs texture drastically changes within a week

I used to have 3b ish hair, now it's 2c-3a freshly washed but it goes down to 2a as the week goes on. After a few days of braids and buns, it changes textures entirely, like two different heads of hair. And I dont use rods or anything curl changing devices. I just throw it in messy buns and such. Does this happen to anyone else?
High Porosity
Fine
Dense
2c-3b

Comments

• machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    HaileyR wrote: »
    I used to have 3b ish hair, its not 2c-3a freshly washed but it goes down to 2a. After a few days of braids and buns, it changes textures entirely, like two different heads of hair. And I dont use rods or anything curl changing devices. I just throw it in messy buns and such. Does this happen to anyone else?

My hair looks totally different when it's wet vs when it's dry. I'm told have have low elasticity hair. My hair wet you wouldn't think my hair is wavy / curly.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Yes, my hair will lose wave if I put it in any type of bun or ponytail. Even if I don't do that, it will lose wave over the course of a few days, as the hair gets dehydrated.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    HaileyR wrote: »
    I used to have 3b ish hair, now it's 2c-3a freshly washed but it goes down to 2a as the week goes on. After a few days of braids and buns, it changes textures entirely, like two different heads of hair. And I dont use rods or anything curl changing devices. I just throw it in messy buns and such. Does this happen to anyone else?

I try to comfort myself by saying "well, at least I have some versatility. some folks would love to have bouncy curls one day and then straighter waves the next." I guess it keeps one from getting bored?
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »
    Yes, my hair will lose wave if I put it in any type of bun or ponytail. Even if I don't do that, it will lose wave over the course of a few days, as the hair gets dehydrated.

On the topic of dehydrating, sometimes I wonder if going 3 to 4 days between washes is just too long for some people. Ive been going about 3 days between washes for a while now. Partly because i *hate* wash days but also because I fear hydral fatigue and over moisturizing. But maybe washing every other day alternating cowash and lo poo may help some people with dryness? I dont know, my hair is dry no matter what I do. Though, I have to admit I don't do separate deep condition treatments ever. Other than a quick minute or two in the shower with GVP every wash. It just takes too much time and Im already pressed for every minute of the evenings and weekends to run a household. But anyway, in summation, something to think about. Maybe cowashing/lo poo more often would mean more conditioning, in turn means less dehydration?
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    Therese1 wrote: »

On the topic of dehydrating, sometimes I wonder if going 3 to 4 days between washes is just too long for some people. Ive been going about 3 days between washes for a while now. Partly because i *hate* wash days but also because I fear hydral fatigue and over moisturizing. But maybe washing every other day alternating cowash and lo poo may help some people with dryness? I dont know, my hair is dry no matter what I do. Though, I have to admit I don't do separate deep condition treatments ever. Other than a quick minute or two in the shower with GVP every wash. It just takes too much time and Im already pressed for every minute of the evenings and weekends to run a household. But anyway, in summation, something to think about. Maybe cowashing/lo poo more often would mean more conditioning, in turn means less dehydration?

I've tried to go 3 days without washing / conditioning but my hair is much MUCH better when I do it every other day. If I wait an extra day than every other day my hair gets dehydrated. Every other day it's way better.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    ttoosday wrote: »

I think you are SO right about this. Last month, I had a week where I wet my hair down in the shower more often than usual, maybe every other day, and I was amazed at how my hair seemed to retain moisture so much better, like the hair was rebuilding its moisture or something. The effect seemed cumulative. And I thought, just like you said, maybe going 3-4 days between washes is just too much for me. (On days 3 and 4, I either straighten my hair or wear it up.) Maybe this length of time between washing makes my hair get so dehydrated that even doing a deep condition can't get all the moisture back. Unfortunately, I have a lot of fatigue due to some health stuff, so I don't know if I can wet my hair down more frequently than I currently do.

I know you said you don't deep condition...I hope you can find a way to try it. It has so helped my hair! I find it easiest to do it at night. I put the conditioner in my hair and then put on a shower cap, and then I leave the shower and wrap a flour sack towel over the cap. I then do other stuff for an hour and then return to the shower and rinse out the conditioner. My showerhead is a handheld one, so it's easy; I don't have to wet my entire body again. Then I style my hair as usual. If my hair is not completely dry before bed (I sometimes air dry it), I put it in a plop with a flour sack towel, clipping some of the front pieces and the part so that they don't get wonky. It has been working pretty well for me.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I'll wake up on my second day with pretty good hair, but through the day it gets dry, tangled and limp. If I spritz with water it'll frizz right up. If I shower without washing my hair, it'll frizz up. If I spritz with conditioner - frizz. Extra gel - frizz. My hair wants water, and lots of it! I can completely drench my hair in the shower and redo the styling and get halfway decent hair, but at that point I might as well do the whole cleansing routine and get good hair.

Hydration comes from water, not from conditioner or oil. If you're thirsty and dehydrated, you don't drink a cream or oil - you drink water. The same goes for hair. Conditioners, oils, creams will help your hair retain water and makes your hair soft and tangle-free, but it's the water itself that hydrates. It's the same as applying body lotion after showering - the lotion helps your skin to retain the moisture from the shower, but it's the water itself that the skin needs.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file