Over Conditioned or Too Much Protein?

machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
This morning I cleansed my hair with Deva Delight poo. Then applied Aveda Be Curly Intensive Detangling Masque, squeezed it in and left it in. Then I applied Deva B'Leave In and lightly scrunched it in.

After it dried I fluffed it out. But started experiencing 'fly aways' as you'll see in the pic. I know this is either a sign of over conditioning or too much protein or maybe I don't have enough protein. Not sure. I'm wondering if the Be'Leave In has something to do with it?

Here's the image

https://imgur.com/a/9YQmA

Thanks!

Comments

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How's your shed hair? Tug on a piece to see how it breaks. If it's stretchy--too much moisture. If it's brittle and snaps--too much protein.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How's your shed hair? Tug on a piece to see how it breaks. If it's stretchy--too much moisture. If it's brittle and snaps--too much protein.

Thanks! It's stretchy. Most likely the combo of leaving in the Aveda Intensive Detangling Masque and Deva B'Leave In. The B'LEAVE In is moisturizing.

Do you suggest that I clarify?
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Overmosturized hair could benefit from a light protein treatment. I wouldn't do a hard core protein treatment on hair that isn't colored, regularly heat styled, or chemically altered.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    Overmosturized hair could benefit from a light protein treatment. I wouldn't do a hard core protein treatment on hair that isn't colored, regularly heat styled, or chemically altered.

Thanks. What I did was clarify. My hair felt literally squeeky clean. The I moisturized. Then instead of using a moisturizing leave in / gel like Deva B'Leave In I used LA Looks Sports gel. My hair seems like it's back to normal or pretty close to it.

I called Deva Curl and they said the B'Leave In is pretty moisturizing. So I'm guessing that since I left most of the conditioner in my hair it was moisturized anyway and adding another layer of moisture as a leave in causes over moisturizing.

What is a light protein treatment as I would like to do it once in a while.

Thanks!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not Kayla, but I'm guessing that she means a protein-rich conditioner that you don't leave on your hair very long. So I wouldn't buy something called "protein treatment," and I wouldn't leave the conditioner on your hair very long. I would just put it on and rinse it out. You can always do a second one next wash day if you want more.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I'm not Kayla, but I'm guessing that she means a protein-rich conditioner that you don't leave on your hair very long. So I wouldn't buy something called "protein treatment," and I wouldn't leave the conditioner on your hair very long. I would just put it on and rinse it out. You can always do a second one next wash day if you want more.

Thanks! Can you recommend one?
    Well, there was the Aubrey GPB, which I think you have used in the past but is no longer made. I have had good results with the John Masters Citrus and Neroli Detangler, which is not a very heavy conditioner at all but has some decent protein in it (I would follow it with another conditioner that is more moisturizing). It's kind of pricey, though. I found a travel-size bottle at my local natural foods store. If you just want to use it every now and then, a travel-size bottle is enough.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Well, there was the Aubrey GPB, which I think you have used in the past but is no longer made. I have had good results with the John Masters Citrus and Neroli Detangler, which is not a very heavy conditioner at all but has some decent protein in it (I would follow it with another conditioner that is more moisturizing). It's kind of pricey, though. I found a travel-size bottle at my local natural foods store. If you just want to use it every now and then, a travel-size bottle is enough.

Yea I've used Aubrey's GVP in the past but since they stopped making it I haven't used anything.

How are you using the John Masters stuff?
    For the JM stuff, I wash my hair as usual and then put the conditioner in. I put it in like I do all my conditioners, meaning I rake it through the hair and squish it in and try to smooth out the hair as much as possible. I can usually feel the protein working on my hair--it's almost like I can feel the hair shaft getting more compact (I am protein sensitive; not sure if others would feel this). After I get the conditioner worked through my hair, I rinse it out and then put in a nonprotein conditioner, work it in like before, and then put on a shower cap and let my hair deep condition for about an hour before rinsing it out. If you're not protein sensitive, you could probably get away with just putting on the nonprotein conditioner and letting it sit on your hair for ten minutes, just in the shower. My hair does not like to absorb moisture, so I have to let the conditioner sit on my hair for quite a while, hence the need for the shower cap and letting the conditioner sit on my hair for an hour. It's a pain.
    For the JM stuff, I wash my hair as usual and then put the conditioner in. I put it in like I do all my conditioners, meaning I rake it through the hair and squish it in and try to smooth out the hair as much as possible. I can usually feel the protein working on my hair--it's almost like I can feel the hair shaft getting more compact (I am protein sensitive; not sure if others would feel this). After I get the conditioner worked through my hair, I rinse it out and then put in a nonprotein conditioner, work it in like before, and then put on a shower cap and let my hair deep condition for about an hour before rinsing it out. If you're not protein sensitive, you could probably get away with just putting on the nonprotein conditioner and letting it sit on your hair for ten minutes, just in the shower. My hair does not like to absorb moisture, so I have to let the conditioner sit on my hair for quite a while, hence the need for the shower cap and letting the conditioner sit on my hair for an hour. It's a pain.

When I used the Aubrey's I would let it sit for 5-10 minutes then rinse out. When I applied conditioner I didn't need to let it sit. I think my hair likes protein.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file