Deep Conditioning Help

machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I never did a DC and I think that I should. Reason I never did one because I'm afraid to over condition my hair. Although my hair is medium density it can get over conditioned like getting too soft and looking like I rubies a balloon on my head.

My hair gets dehydrated easily though probably because I work outside in the elements. It's very windy and cooler today and haven't washed or conditioned my hair in 3 days. In between I spritzed my hair and added some styler and it's been looking ok.

Can someone recommend a DC that won't either weigh my hair down or over condition it for medium dense / high po ends / medium po middle / low po roots?

How often should you do a DC?

Thanks!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've been using my regular conditioner, the Intelligent Nutrients Harmonizing, for deep conditioning. I've been deep conditioning once a week; I think that's what most people do. I have low-porosity hair, though, so you might not need to do it as often.

I've also deep conditioned with the Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Conditioner and the JessiCurl Deep Conditioning Treatment. I found the CJ to be more moisturizing, but the JessiCurl wasn't bad. I think that you can get samples through the JessiCurl website.

If you're concerned about overconditioning, I wouldn't leave the conditioner on for too long. Maybe start with 10 minutes and then work your way up from there.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I've been using my regular conditioner, the Intelligent Nutrients Harmonizing, for deep conditioning. I've been deep conditioning once a week; I think that's what most people do. I have low-porosity hair, though, so you might not need to do it as often.

I've also deep conditioned with the Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Conditioner and the JessiCurl Deep Conditioning Treatment. I found the CJ to be more moisturizing, but the JessiCurl wasn't bad. I think that you can get samples through the JessiCurl website.

If you're concerned about overconditioning, I wouldn't leave the conditioner on for too long. Maybe start with 10 minutes and then work your way up from there.

Thanks! My problem is my ends to mid shaft that get dehydrated easily. I'm thinking that a dc might help with that. My mid shaft which is normal po doesn't need it nearly as much and my roots which are low po definitely don't need moisture.

I guess you can deep condition your ends to mid shaft?
    Tried something this morning that someone suggested on Reddit Curly board.

Poo'ed my hair.

Applied Aveda Be Curly Intensive Detanling Masque and left it all in.

Then I applied Aveda styling whip to wet hair and gave my hair a couple light scrunches.

My hair turned out pretty good. What this person does because like me she's out in the elements is she poo's, leave in everyday. I think that's my problem. My hair gets dehydrated easily cause my hair is exposed to the dry wind and cold in the winter. In the summer I don't have that problem. I don't work inside or in an office. Today was windy as heck and my waves were blowing all around getting beaten up. But my hair looks and feels moisturized but not as much as this morning. Won't take any chances tomorrow. Got a honey do list for outside. I'm going to poo and leave in tomorrow morning.
    This morning I shampoo my hair with Deva Delight rinsed it all out. Then I squeezed Aveda Be Curly Intensive Detangling Maque into my hair and cupped my hands and through water on hair and squeezed it, then left it in. What I did different then the above was I wanted to add a light type jell so I added a small amount of Deva B'Leave In and lightly scrunched it in. I hope the B'Leave In won't be too moisturizing because of leaving the Intensive Masque all in. The reason I used the B'Leave In is because I know it has protein.

I think I might try another alternative to the Aveda Be Curly Intensive Masque because I'm thinking I might need to leave a conditioner all in my hair for more moisture. The Aveda Masque a little goes a long way and I like it. I have Yes to Coconuts that I going to try and leave in the next time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file