Over Conditioned or Too Much Protein?

machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
When I got my hair analysis a while back the results were low po roots, medium po mid shaft, high po ends. Was also said that my hair tends to get de-hydrated easily especially my ends. She also suggests my hair could use products with protein and / or protein treatments occasionally.

I did 'over condition' my hair in the past and Gooseprints suspected I was over dosing or using too much Deva One condish. She said Deva One condish is very moisturizing. She also pointed out that too much protein can cause this but according to my analysis my hair isn't protein sensitive.

Running into some issues now. Just clarified my hair and followed up with Giovanni 50 50 condish and used a small amount of Deva believe-in for a styler. My hair is having some of the same signs as when I over conditioned my hair but not nearly as bad. The Giovanni I noticed seemed like it had a lot of slip and felt nice and moisturized when it was in my hair. I left it in for bit because another poster suggested after clarifying to do a DC so I thought by leaving the 50 50 in that would help. When I rinsed it out completely the moisture felt like it was decreasing. When I tee shirt tried my hair it didn't feel as moisturized as I thought it would be. I decided to add a small amount of believe in to help but it didn't.

Now my hair is soft and frizzy on my crown. Mid length looks ok. Ends are frizzy like the crown.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• PoppycurlPoppycurl Registered Users Posts: 9
    Does your hair have a weak, gummy, mushy feeling to it when wet with conditioner? It should feel strong and soft. Correct me if im wrong but I think hair needs protien to absorb moisture if over conditioned. For further reading and clarification give this link about protien moisture balance a try All About Black Hair-Part II : Protein and Moisture - Le blog de Nat Haly
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    Poppycurl wrote: »
    Does your hair have a weak, gummy, mushy feeling to it when wet with conditioner? It should feel strong and soft. Correct me if im wrong but I think hair needs protien to absorb moisture if over conditioned. For further reading and clarification give this link about protien moisture balance a try All About Black Hair-Part II : Protein and Moisture - Le blog de Nat Haly

No doesn't feel weak or mushy. I used Giovanni 50 50 condish after I clarified. Not sure if the 50 50 has protein in it.

My hair feels soft, softer than I want. Maybe that's the way it's suppose to be.

Here's a pic.
  • PoppycurlPoppycurl Registered Users Posts: 9
    I cant see the picture :( I think all your products are okay, b-leAve has a lot of protien which is fine as all your other products don't have protien in it.

I don't know where you live but look up on the frizz forcast dew points as glycerin is high on the list IN B'LEAVE IN, too low or too high dew points can result in frizz. So you may find you get variable results everytime you wash.

For me a gel helps with frizz massively, I apply it on wet hair then scrunch the crunch when dry. It could be a useful addition to your regime. Plus applying products while your hair is wet and using a t-shirt/ microfibre towl helps. :)
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    Poppycurl wrote: »
    I cant see the picture :( I think all your products are okay, b-leAve has a lot of protien which is fine as all your other products don't have protien in it.

I don't know where you live but look up on the frizz forcast dew points as glycerin is high on the list IN B'LEAVE IN, too low or too high dew points can result in frizz. So you may find you get variable results everytime you wash.

For me a gel helps with frizz massively, I apply it on wet hair then scrunch the crunch when dry. It could be a useful addition to your regime. Plus applying products while your hair is wet and using a t-shirt/ microfibre towl helps. :)

Can't post pics the site needs to upgraded.

We live in Philly. Been windy here yet un seasonally warm. In the summer it's humid and my hair likes it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file