Please help! Desparately need hair advice.

Hi Everyone,
I have been having this issue with my hair for many months and am at the end of my patience. No matter how hard I try I can't seem to rinse the shampoo out of my hair. My hair is a tangled, dry and floofy frizzy mess and it's bringing me to tears. I have tried almost everything: clarifying shampoo, different shampoo/conditioner combos, extra long rinsing, double rinsing, vinegar rinse, increased the shower water pressure. When I think I have done a decent job of rinsing the shampoo, I put in the conditioner and it lathers and foams so much. Even scrunching hair products in freshly washed damp hair I can hear and feel the soap squishing in my hair. I was thinking of trying just co washing and seeing if the shampoo just eventually rinses out completely, but beyond that I am out of ideas. I had maybe thought it was due to this silicone hair oil I tried but I stopped using it and have since clarified my hair. Internet searches have not yeilded any answers for me so I am hoping someone here may have some insight.
Fine 2c-3a Curls
Normal porosity/ Medium density
Henna over color-treated hair
Not currently CG :(
Poo: Pureology hydrate
RO: Pureology hydrate
LI: HSH Tri-wheat spray
DT: Coconut oil
PT: Henna/Cassia
Styler: AG recoil/mousse-gel

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    You should definitely try cowashing just because it can be great for curly hair, but as to the shampoo sticking around ... conditioner foams, too, and when I put curl creme in my hair, that foams to a degree, as well, and definitely makes a squishy wet noise, since I apply to soaking wet hair. Are you sure it isn't just that conditioners and curl cremes tend to also "foam" to a degree? It has to do with the ingredients used to stabilize the mixtures, I think.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Cally wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been having this issue with my hair for many months and am at the end of my patience. No matter how hard I try I can't seem to rinse the shampoo out of my hair. My hair is a tangled, dry and floofy frizzy mess and it's bringing me to tears. I have tried almost everything: clarifying shampoo, different shampoo/conditioner combos, extra long rinsing, double rinsing, vinegar rinse, increased the shower water pressure. When I think I have done a decent job of rinsing the shampoo, I put in the conditioner and it lathers and foams so much. Even scrunching hair products in freshly washed damp hair I can hear and feel the soap squishing in my hair. I was thinking of trying just co washing and seeing if the shampoo just eventually rinses out completely, but beyond that I am out of ideas. I had maybe thought it was due to this silicone hair oil I tried but I stopped using it and have since clarified my hair. Internet searches have not yeilded any answers for me so I am hoping someone here may have some insight.

hi, Cally :) .

Can you try clarifying with KC Come Clean Shampoo has olefin sulfonate in it?

Pureology changed their formula and has added a bunch of silicones and polyquats to the Hydrate line. Both of those types of things can cause dry, gummy feeling residue on curly hair.

and it often takes a clarifying shampoo with C14-C16 olefin sulfonate to remove polyquat buildup.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If I remember right, people sometimes have a problem with coconut oil products causing foaming reactions in their hair. Are you using products with a lot of coconut oil?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CallyCally Registered Users Posts: 58
    I don't think the pureology is specifically to blame since it hasn't been the only product I have used since the problem started.

I have tried clarifying, I used the Sunday shampoo from B+B, it stripped my hair dry.

As for the coconut oil I don't believe I still use anything with coconut oil.

Honestly such a weird problem. My hair is so dry it probably doesn't need shampoo at all. I will try the cowashing and see where that takes me.
    Fine 2c-3a Curls
    Normal porosity/ Medium density
    Henna over color-treated hair
    Not currently CG :(
    Poo: Pureology hydrate
    RO: Pureology hydrate
    LI: HSH Tri-wheat spray
    DT: Coconut oil
    PT: Henna/Cassia
    Styler: AG recoil/mousse-gel
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    Cally wrote: »
    I don't think the pureology is specifically to blame since it hasn't been the only product I have used since the problem started.

I have tried clarifying, I used the Sunday shampoo from B+B, it stripped my hair dry.

As for the coconut oil I don't believe I still use anything with coconut oil.

Honestly such a weird problem. My hair is so dry it probably doesn't need shampoo at all. I will try the cowashing and see where that takes me.

I'm sort of having the same problem. My hair has been dry. I actually went to the Aveda school and asked an 'expert' there what I can do. She suggested the Be Curly Intensive Detangling Mask and follow up with Light Elements Defining Whip. She said to first cleanse or poo my hair then use the masque and leave in for 3-5 minutes. She said a little goes a long way. Pretty pricey but I've used Aveda products in the past and they were good for my hair.

Anyway used it this morning and not sure how it's working as my hair is air drying. But it looks like it didn't work as much as I thought. I rinsed the masque all out then applied the whip to semi wet to damp hair.

Not sure what's going on. Maybe either a deep conditioning treatment or a protein treatment. Not sure.

My hair is a like chunky sausage wavy type. If that makes sense. It doesn't necessarily clump per say. Clumping doesn't work for me and I think this could be the problem to because of using stuff that is suppose to cause clumping and it dries my air out. I need to retain moisture and my hair will be naturally wavy vs a hold. Although a hold helps to keep moisture in.

Then on my 3rd day hair I tried to refresh with Yes to Coconut cream and it made my hair stringy / straight weird. Was like a moisture dry feeling.

And to add I haven't had a cut since the end of last summer. Maybe that would help.

But I can empathize with you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file