All of a sudden greasy, thinning hair.. Please help!

JjamJjam Registered Users Posts: 2
So for about a year now, my hair has been suddenly greasy. It was fine one day, but when I went to wash it it felt extremely greasy as if i didnt clean it. I have noticed that my hair is also thinning due to this.

I tried everything, ACV rinses, baking soda, dish washing soap, Listerine clarifying shampoos galore , dandruff shampoos etc. But nothing seems to work. Its stressing me out so much, I had such beautiful hair ..now it feels limp and gummy not like hair at all.

A little bit about my hair. Before this my hair was dry. I never colored or permed my hair.

Has anyone had this problem?? What are ways I can stop the excessive sebum production ??

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Please see below post. Forum software caused double post.
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Nevermind.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Do you think it is possible that you have some kind of health condition? I have noticed symptoms somewhat like you describe when my body is detoxing itself from something. My hair seems dry and greasy at the same time, and it has that unclean smell, despite the fact that I washed it only 24 hours previous--and I often go a few days between washes with no problem. I definitely notice a difference in my hair quality when my body is throwing off a lot of toxins and when I feel like my body is more stable.

If you think the problem is some kind of build-up on your hair, I would try clarifying with a shampoo that has C14-16 olefin sulfonate in it (Kinky Curly Come Clean is one). This chemical can get off types of build-up that sulfates cannot always get off (if you have used dishwashing soap, then you have already tried sulfates).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Do you think it is possible that you have some kind of health condition? I have noticed symptoms somewhat like you describe when my body is detoxing itself from something. My hair seems dry and greasy at the same time, and it has that unclean smell, despite the fact that I washed it only 24 hours previous--and I often go a few days between washes with no problem. I definitely notice a difference in my hair quality when my body is throwing off a lot of toxins and when I feel like my body is more stable.

If you think the problem is some kind of build-up on your hair, I would try clarifying with a shampoo that has C14-16 olefin sulfonate in it (Kinky Curly Come Clean is one). This chemical can get off types of build-up that sulfates cannot always get off (if you have used dishwashing soap, then you have already tried sulfates).
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • JjamJjam Registered Users Posts: 2
    Therese1 wrote: »

I dont think its build up since I tried a lot of different clarifying shampoos but nothing worked..

Yes, my hair is just like what you described. Do you know what health conditions might cause this reaction?
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    You may want to try looking up ingredients in the clarifying shampoos you used to see if any of the clarifying shampoos had the C-14 olefin sulfonate. It's not in a lot of them, and can be necessary to remove certain ingredients from your hair. That being said, of course lots of clarifying shampoos will make the grease problem worse, as your scalp compensates. I wish I could be of more help. Did you use any new products at the time you started noticing this problem? I wonder if washing with something drying, like bentonite clay, might be of help.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Before looking into health things, I would first try a shampoo with the olefin sulfate, because as naturecat points out, it is not always in a clarifying shampoo.

As far as health concerns, I don't know what all could cause it. In my own case, it was a situation of having toxicity due to mercury (I would grind my teeth at night, which can cause the mercury in fillings to get into your system) and to a candida overgrowth in my intestinal tract. I had a poor diet for years due to not being able to eat many foods, and now that my digestion is corrected (the mercury and candida are not a problem anymore), I am still detoxing because my body is rebuilding itself from all the years when it didn't get the nutrients it needed. I have other symptoms too, like overall weakness and tiredness and itchy skin. So I can feel an overall detox taking place, and my hair is only part of it. If you think you might have a health condition but don't notice anything weird other than your hair, you could try going to a nutritionist or natural health practitioner, because they usually deal with health situations that are not as dire as those dealt with by MDs.
    Before looking into health things, I would first try a shampoo with the olefin sulfate, because as naturecat points out, it is not always in a clarifying shampoo.

As far as health concerns, I don't know what all could cause it. In my own case, it was a situation of having toxicity due to mercury (I would grind my teeth at night, which can cause the mercury in fillings to get into your system) and to a candida overgrowth in my intestinal tract. I had a poor diet for years due to not being able to eat many foods, and now that my digestion is corrected (the mercury and candida are not a problem anymore), I am still detoxing because my body is rebuilding itself from all the years when it didn't get the nutrients it needed. I have other symptoms too, like overall weakness and tiredness and itchy skin. So I can feel an overall detox taking place, and my hair is only part of it. If you think you might have a health condition but don't notice anything weird other than your hair, you could try going to a nutritionist or natural health practitioner, because they usually deal with health situations that are not as dire as those dealt with by MDs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file