Questions about matted hair

So I have been having some problems and need advice.
Background: I live in central florida so it is very hot and humid all the time and I have 3c hair.

I always run my fingers through my hair, which I always wear in a ponytail and by the end of the day I end up with the hair around the hair tie being extremely matted. If I take the pony tail holder out the hair stays together because it is so matted. I do not have the self confidence to leave my hair down all day and so I really only do pony tail, ballet bun, or the occasional french braid. Also, the bottoms of my hair feel healthy and moisturized, but near the hair tie it is all matted.

So my questions are:

1. How do I stop my hair from getting matted?

2. I have been getting very frustrated and been thinking about cutting my hair into a bob, will this help me and make it easier to do my hair or make it worse?

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Because your hair mats easily, I assume it's fine. Are you using hair ties without metal? I don't have fine hair or this issue, so that's all I can add.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    I'm wondering if since you wear it in a ponytail so much, maybe some hairs are broken and sort of sticking together? Is there a way that you could do a braid instead? Maybe that will help, and still keep it out of your face.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    I also wonder to if it is your choice of hair tie. Try to look for hair friendly hair ties. Fabric Scruncis, anything without metal (they can rip hair), even cut up panyhose. Inspect everthing you use in your hair carefully. If you want to wear your hair up most of the time (I do, I 'm trying to protect my ends) try wearing it different every day to prevent stress in any one spot. One day a bun, next day a braid and so on. If your hair isn't long enough for some of these try moving your ponytail high vs low, left, right and center. Just try not to have it in the same place all the time. Also, really try to put it up and leave it. I don't know but maybe you are taking it out and putting it back up all the time. See if you can limit this. The one other thing is try not to do this too tight. Good luck and maybe try wearing your hair down for a little in the evening. I found I had to get used to the texture of my hair without blowdrying it.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file