Tips for going natural?

naturallyKnaturallyK Registered Users Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
So, I've been thinking seriously about going natural and stopping all colour/perms on my hair, but there are a few things I'm worried about.

I haven't been completely natural in ages (at most I've still dyed my hair, the colour in the photo), and now my hair is super short (less than 8"), straight, and very, very damaged. I bleached, and then permed my hair and I just...

Kind of want to get used to my natural hair again (and have fresh hair to colour, not going to lie); the last time I left my hair alone, though, it wasn't *all* curly, and I had to actually style my hair overnight to get it to curl in some places, as opposed to having it just curl naturally, and I worry that as much damage as I've done now, it might be worse?

What tips do you have for a scalp that itself is really damaged?

(Now even hair dye burns on my head.)

Do you think treating my scalp nice and using pro-curl products will help? If I 'go natural' and my hair is terrible I'll feel like I've wasted my time, and probably want to perm it again 😩

My scalp is oily; hair is coarse and porous.

16508859_212085069259909_3495107964645396554_n.jpg?oh=cddd0ca448d8c837d19719f37bbef9d8&oe=58FEC800

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Does perming mean going curly or relaxing to be straight? I ask because people on this forum use it both ways.

If your hair is as damaged as you said it is, then progress may be slow. Think of this as more of a journey. You should try to first heal your scalp. I would recommend starting out modified Curly Girl, meaning you use sulfate free shampoo. I would use essential oils on your scalp to help heal it.

Your hair in your picture is very pretty. Your description of your hair sounds like mine. If that is the case, here are the products I use: Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo, Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner, Kinky Curly Curling Custard gel, and coconut oil. Maybe these may help you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • naturallyKnaturallyK Registered Users Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
    Does perming mean going curly or relaxing to be straight? I ask because people on this forum use it both ways.

If your hair is as damaged as you said it is, then progress may be slow. Think of this as more of a journey. You should try to first heal your scalp. I would recommend starting out modified Curly Girl, meaning you use sulfate free shampoo. I would use essential oils on your scalp to help heal it.

Your hair in your picture is very pretty. Your description of your hair sounds like mine. If that is the case, here are the products I use: Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo, Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner, Kinky Curly Curling Custard gel, and coconut oil. Maybe these may help you.

It means both in my current hair's life time ��
    First I tried a curly perm because my hair wasn't curly the way I wanted it,
    then I tried a straight one after a little while (the actual curl perm didn't hold).

I actually use Carol's Daughter almost exclusively, so I'll give those a try!
    Today I ordered some wigs so, after I get them I'm going to shave my head and use my oils,
    and then when I start to get some hair I'll make sure to have those products around!

Do you know if it's likely that my hair won't be super curly when it's first growing out?
    I don't want to panic if my hair starts growing straight or not how I'm used to haha.
    Double post, sorry.

Right now I use the Almond line from CD,
    as well as Coconut, Jojoba, Grapeseed, and Avocado oil.

Is there anything from Sally's you can recommend?
    I work there so I get a lot of stuff cheaper and free.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Depending on how damaged your hair is, it can grow out damaged for a while. Also, depending on your curl pattern, your hair may start off straight and only curl once you have three inches. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would just care for your scalp and hair.

I would look for products at Sally's that are free of silicones and ingredients that end in -xane. Amodimethicone is okay, as it's a water soluble cone. I believe Creme Of Nature may meet these requirements. There is also an Aveda knockoff product line, but I don't remember the name.

3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • KailandKailand Registered Users Posts: 13
    I go to Sally's pretty often :) The GVP Conditioning Balm is very popular, especially for dry hair. Aphogee (has silicones and maybe mineral oil) and Ion Repair are both great for hair that is damaged and needing repair (or protein loving). SheaMoisture has quite a few lines there - depending on your hair type and properties, some will suit your needs better. TGIN (has silicones) is a very moisturizing line with great ingredients, Mielle Organics is great (I hate the smell of the products though, so if you're very sensitive it may not be for you), The Mane Choice Leave In Conditioner is great. Eden Bodyworks, As I Am. There are tons of great lines at Sally's! :smile:
    So, I shaved my head last night!
    Or rather, my manager did it in the employee area at our store lmfao
    Perks of working at Sally's I guess?

I'm so excited for it to grow.
    I'm gonna be so scared to ever touch it with chemicals again though lol

naturallyk-cut

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file