“cut your hair off so it can grow back straight”

SpikeSpike Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi all.

I have hated my hair since I was 15 and it changed texture, because I was bullied over it by everyone; family, friends, etc. I’m just really tired now. I want to stop hiding it in a braid and try embrace it, so I need help with how to manage it.

Is it 2a? I have little natural oil and little shine. I think it's porous, not extremely thick and full, but the strands are quite course.

The crown & sides of my face are mostly straight, the length wavy/curly and a bit frizzy, but the underneath is pure frizz, does not curl and throws everything off. You can see this in the last image.

I wash once a week.
Shampoo: Elizabeth Anne’s baby shampoo (was told to use it by a hairdresser, coz its “mild”)
Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Lanolin, Lactic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Cetrimonium Bromide, Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool, CI 17200.

Conditioner: Nature’s Choice silicone free conditioner with Aloe Vera and Macadamia oil. I like it.
Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Panthenol, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Viola Tricolor (Wild Pansy) Extract, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance.

I use coconut oil +/-once a month before washing. No heat, no colour, little sun, silk pillow case, I don’t brush except with fingers. I keep my hair in a loose single braid almost all the time. Use no products, should I try something? I'm a full-time uni student in South Africa and budget is tight, product availability not always marvelous.

Sorry for the essay. Is there anything you can recommend that would help me? Thank you

Comments

• guineapigsrcuteguineapigsrcute Curl Neophyte Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How do you style it out of the shower? Maybe scrunch wet hair with gel.

Also you could try cowashing instead of shampooing or using a sulfate free shampoo.
  • AngelaE9999AngelaE9999 Curl Novice Posts: 132Registered Users Curl Novice
    I second this. I would recommend STOPPING using shampoos with sulphates in them. Once I did that, I got all sorts of curls. You can cowash with conditioner, or use a sulphate free shampoo if that's what you choose. Make sure to condition your hair and possibly use a curl cream followed by a gel and let air dry. I'll bet you'll love the results. :)
  • WavycatWavycat Curl Connoisseur Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I really like your hair. You have a lot of fullness. But I know what you mean with the different textures. I agree with changing the shampoo for every wash. Keep it for clarifying if needed. Or if not try diluting it 1 part shampoo to 2 parts water. I also put conditioner on my length before I even get in the shower. A prepoo oiling might help too.
    As for styling I like to pineapple my hair and put a few Wrap, Snap and Go rollers at night. Just slightly dampen hair. Or even rag curls. This is to try and even things out. I have a straight underlayer on the sides so I'll do this occasionally. I add some grapeseed oil every night to my lower length (just enough to barely glisten my hands) and that has helped a lot with frizz. Seriously I think you have really nice hair.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file