2B hair with psoriasis on scalp

baseballmamabaseballmama Posts: 33Registered Users
I'm a long-time CG and have been silicone/sulfate free since 2011. I have lots of skin issues in general, but recently (in the last year) have developed psoriasis on my scalp. This necessitated a prescription medicated shampoo everyday, which unfortunately is not silicone/sulfate free. With the help of some heavy-duty oral steroids, my scalp is getting back under-control. I'm still having to wash everyday, but I've been able to move away from the prescription shampoo and have been using Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Oil shampoo & condish. The tea tree oil seems to really help, but I'm wanting to of course get back to being silicone/sulfate free again (and hopefully get to stop washing everyday although that's a small price to pay for not having a crusty scalp I guess). Anyway, what are some great silicone/sulfate free tea tree oil shampoos? I've done a google search but haven't turned up anything.

Thanks!

Comments

• mafelaymafelay Posts: 6Registered Users
    Try trader's joe. They have a shampoo and a conditoner with tee tree, sulfate and silicone free.
    Hair:
    Texture: 2 b/c
    Porosity: low
    Density: medium
    Width: medium

Products: Still under construction!
    Cleanser: a product made by TheCurlWhisperer in Miami and smells yummy!
    Conditioner/Leave in/Co-wash: Devacurl: Decadence. Generic Value Products: Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Devacurl: ArcAngel, Frizz-free voluminizing Foam, B-leave in. Jessicurl: Gelebration, Spiralicious. Eden BodyWorks: Natural Curling Jelly
    Deep Conditioner: Devacurl: Heaven in Hair
  • mafelaymafelay Posts: 6Registered Users
    Try trader's joe. They have a shampoo and a conditioner with tee tree, sulfate and silicone free.
    Hair:
    Texture: 2 b/c
    Porosity: low
    Density: medium
    Width: medium

Products: Still under construction!
    Cleanser: a product made by TheCurlWhisperer in Miami and smells yummy!
    Conditioner/Leave in/Co-wash: Devacurl: Decadence. Generic Value Products: Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Devacurl: ArcAngel, Frizz-free voluminizing Foam, B-leave in. Jessicurl: Gelebration, Spiralicious. Eden BodyWorks: Natural Curling Jelly
    Deep Conditioner: Devacurl: Heaven in Hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Maybe you could buy some tea tree oil and just add a drop or so to some CG-friendly products.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ChisqChisq Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am a newly converted 2a-2c CG, lurking on the boards, but I am not new to scalp issues. For years I had an itchy, painful scalp with lots of hair loss. My doctor also put me on the medicated shampoos, steroids, and prescription strength itch-relief salves. None of this made my hair any better. I did lots of research because the scalp pain and itch was driving me insane. I learned, like you did, that tea tree oil helps, so I bought shampoos with that ingredient in it. I realized my scalp is most likely allergic to all things non organic. But, I was still itchy and painful. More research later, and I discovered that the oil from the neem seed was/is used to treat eczema and psoriasis. I then discovered Neem and Shea Butter Scalp Recovery Shampoo (also has tee tree oil) made by Alaffia. Oh my gosh! What a difference it made! They also make a conditioner to match and both products are organic.

You can find Alaffia products at health food stores or on Amazon or on their website. They also have a complete line of organic products for curly hair.

During the windy season when my allergies are really bad, my hair will start to itch again and then I rub 100% pure neem seed oil into my scalp (you can buy this at health food stores or on Amazon). It instantly soothes the itch. I leave it in until I wash it, but you don't want to go out with it on your scalp because it has a strong p-nutty odor.

I know this was long, but I hope it helps you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file