Post menopausal hair thinning..

MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
anyone else have this problem? what do you do about it??

what products help, if any? long hair, or shorter? :cry:

Comments

• PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    Not sure the cause of mine. Dermatologist told me to take Viviscal (in the vitamin aisle), she recommends it over biotin because it has things besides biotin.

Also men's Rogaine once a day and a prescription shampoo.

If you don't want to see a dr, I would suggest viviscal, at least to see if it helps.

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    I googled Rogaine yesterday before I posted. It is not effective.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Myrna, I disagree that Rogaine (minoxidil) is ineffective. I experienced post-meno hair thinning in the front and back of my scalp and my derm suggested minoxidil. I have used it faithfully for several years now and it definitely worked for me.

He suggested I buy the men's FOAM since it is much easier to apply than the women's version which is liquid and I only use the foam once a day since twice a day is considered too much for women. I buy generic minox at CVS or Walgreens and use it once a day as recommended. Easy peasy and it works.

Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    Myrna wrote: »
    anyone else have this problem? what do you do about it??

what products help, if any? long hair, or shorter? :cry:

:hello2:I have experienced thinning, mostly at my temples. In the bright sunlight it is noticeable to me, but not so much that anyone else would notice. From what I have read some thinning is very common in post menopausal women. When I had my annual check up with my dermatologist this past summer, he noticed the thinning, even asked me if I would like him to suggest some medication. I declined for now, if it worsens then maybe I will research my options.

What I do is handle my hair with extra care these days. I wash very gently and avoid heat styling or straightening. Also, no slicked back ponytails or up-dos, so as not to put undo tension on the hair follicles, especially at the temple area.

I am growing my hair longer. The way I see it, long or short, it is still going to be thinner so I may as well experience my hair longer and see how it looks.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

' buy generic minox at CVS or Walgreens and use it once a day as recommended. Easy peasy and it works'

Ella, can you tell me specifically what you mean, what is generic minox ? is it a shampoo, a treatment...?
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    Myrna wrote: »
    ' buy generic minox at CVS or Walgreens and use it once a day as recommended. Easy peasy and it works'

Ella, can you tell me specifically what you mean, what is generic minox ? is it a shampoo, a treatment...?

Hi, Myrna. It wasn't me who posted about the "generic minos at CVS or Walgreens." It was curlypearl.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

Oh, Sorry, Ella, yes, I see. CurlyPearl w hat is generic minox??
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    ^Generic minoxidil, not the Rogaine brand, you don't have to pay for the name to get the same product.

Perri - how's the Viviscal doing? I looked at it but couldn't get past the shark something in it, even though I eat fish. The front (fringe area) of my hair's looking bad since I went grey and I keep thinking about it.
    3b in South Australia.
    ^Generic minoxidil, not the Rogaine brand, you don't have to pay for the name to get the same product.

Perri - how's the Viviscal doing? I looked at it but couldn't get past the shark something in it, even though I eat fish. The front (fringe area) of my hair's looking bad since I went grey and I keep thinking about it.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Yup - Starmie is right. Sorry, I wasn't clear Myrna. Generic minoxidil is what I use. I get it in either CVS or Walgreens. It is probably also available on Amazon. It's kind of expensive but I get it in packages of more than one so it lasts a long time.

It doesn't affect my curls but in the back on the 1-2 inch spot where I use it, it makes my hair kind of oily so I need to shampoo more frequently than I would otherwise. I do modified cg so I can use a low poo but I think a conditioner wash would be fine.

Please let us know what you end up using and how well it works. I hope you get good results!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    I have found the Rogaine (mens, once a day as I mentioned) to work for me.

Starmie. I struggled with the shark. Well, at first I had no idea it was in there, so I saw results, then I struggled because I knew it worked but I don't eat animals.... I did just find something that had similar make up that I'm pretty sure is sharkless. I have to do more research. It's called New Nordic Hair Volume.

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    It's hard sometimes. I'd take it if it was something illness related, but when it's not it's just a bit of a struggle to justify it. Looking at my hair the way it is really gets me down sometimes though. I'll have a look at that other product you mentioned and keep my fingers crossed that it works as well as the Viviscal. I'm glad the combo is working for you.
    3b in South Australia.
    Yesterday I emailed my derm PA. She recommended a Biotin product. I wound up purchasing 5000 mg of Biotin, at the suggestion of the pharmacist. I also bought Thicker Fuller serum. Just used it this AM. I will report back on the results. Has anyone here tried it? What about the shampoo/ conditioner from this line?
  • BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    For right now I use Nioxin step 4, all three cleanser, scalp therapy and scalp treatment.
    I also take GNC womens ultra mega which has lots of good skin and hair stuff in it with iron, though my last cycle was almost a year ago.
    I think both of these have helped a lot. I also purchased GNC advanced hair skin and nail vitamins and are switching back and forth every other day between the two GNC. I think my hair is actually looking better than it did 5 years ago.

I've been seriously thinking about Viviscal a lot, but I'm hesitant as one time about 25 years ago I ate scallops at a seafood place and one side of my face swelled and I felt something in my throat. A mild swelling but either the scallops or the breading it was in did not agree with me. I can eat other fish, haven't eaten shellfish since then. I hope I wouldn't have a reaction to the Viviscal. I guess I should ask a Doctor.

As for Rogaine, I have concerns about that as I googled side effects and some people, both male and female, were saying it aged their skin on their faces after awhile. Some got bags under their eyes. I found this on a men's fitness forum. Yikes! I'm also into caring for my skin now, so I don't know if I'll try that yet.
    the Nioxin is not CG, for any that are concerned about that.
    One good thing is my hair has gotten a lot wavier since I hit menopause, and I should post an updated picture, my avatar was 7 years ago and my hair is curlier now. My mothers did the same thing. Hormones I guess.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • curly01curly01 Registered Users Posts: 96 Curl Connoisseur
    I have been using a product called Invati (I got it at aveda) It's a spray on the scalp product. Smells bad but it doesn't last. My derm and my stylist said to brush with a boar bristle brush. Stimulates the scalp. I only do that at night or right before washing or wetting down. I was concerned it would ruin curl pattern. Of course it will right after brushing but on down the line... I've only been doing that part for a few days. I may not do it every day too. But my scalp feels SO GOOD!!! The last time I saw my stylist, she noticed I have tiny hairs starting to sprout. That might be from the invati. I've been using that daily (or try to daily) now for about 3 months. I also use the invati shampoo and conditioner. Those are cheap. the spray on stuff is a bit pricey but has lasting me quite a while.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file