Is your hair "different" since you went silver? are you using different products now?

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Mine seems to be finer. More "wispy". I feel like I have still not found the exact right product(s) for my silver curls, isnt that a shock, Ladies...what has been your experience? did you change from one kind of product to another? what about in warm vs cold weather? Do you still steer clear of silicones and sulfates? I find I am on the fence about both now.

Comments

• ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Myrna wrote: »
    Mine seems to be finer. More "wispy". I feel like I have still not found the exact right product(s) for my silver curls, isnt that a shock, Ladies...what has been your experience? did you change from one kind of product to another? what about in warm vs cold weather? Do you still steer clear of silicones and sulfates? I find I am on the fence about both now.

What works best for my fairly new silver (have been fully transitioned for two years) hair is regular shampoo and conditioner, whatever is on sale at the drugstore. I have tried Deva products, Quidad products, expensive salon products, sulphate free, paraben free, etc. etc......:shaking:

My scalp needs to be clean and my conditioner needs some silicones. I wash every second day and occasionally use a white vinegar rinse, always followed up with a coney conditioner. Right now I have Hello Hydration shampoo and conditioner in the shower, my hair is soft and shiny and easy to detangle.

Less is more for my fine silver curls, deep conditioning only weighs my hair down. Weather doesn't seem to cause me much grief, except for high heat and humidity perhaps, a halo of frizz can develop but also easily remedied with a touch of coconut oil on my palms which I then smooth over the offending frizz.:)

ETA...I had given up posting here, had a terrible time getting my posts to show. Hopefully this post will show.:thumbup:

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yep, it posted. What I notice here (technical issues) is that there are OFTEN site problems, ie posts happen with the speed of molasses in January, so it is difficult to know if they are in fact posted. OK. Yes, what you said is very helpful. I am right now using a cone condtioner (from the dollar store) that has dimethicone about the middle of the list, and my hair seems to love it. Shampoo does not seem to matter too much one way or the other, but I shampoo every day, so I hope that might remove the ill effects of a silicone. What are your styling products?
    No styling products for me, although you would never believe this if you had a look in my bathroom cabinet, lol! I have tried SO many styling products, only to be disappointed with how they made my hair look and behave. I truly feel that most styling products work best for those with thicker, fuller hair. My fine, 2c curls behave better if I just shampoo, condition, rinse and air dry. My diffuser, set on low speed and warm heat does help to form the curls, as long as I do not dry it fully. Now, all this said, I do use coconut oil to add shine and to control frizz. A couple of times a month I may apply the coconut oil to my dry hair before I go to bed and then shampoo it out the next morning. This gives me plenty of shine and softness. The secret here is to use it very sparingly, less is better.

One more thing, I never brush my hair, ever. I own one wide tooth comb, I got it in a Quidad gift package that also came with a great hair towel. The shampoo and conditioner did not work for me at all, it left my hair very limp and frizzy. Once I wash, condition and comb my hair I do not touch it until the next wash day, I use my fingers to detangle if I need to.

If that is your hair in the pick there, it looks plenty thick to me! is it long?
    If that is your hair in the pick there, it looks plenty thick to me! is it long?

Yes, that is my hair in the avatar photo, just took it a couple of days ago, when I joined this site actually. I had washed it the morning of the photo and once dry I put it in a half-up, my go to style these days. As a young girl my hair was what one would call thick, but those days are long gone, lol! As I have aged my hair has thinned quite a bit, not in the extreme sense, but there is much less of it. I think this is fairly common as we age, especially once we are post menopausal. I am growing my hair longer, too many hours spent on Pinterest looking at "older" women with long silver/silvering hair have me wanting to give it a go. Right now it is a couple of inches shy of APL.

Your hair is very pretty, Myrna. I love your curls and your natural colour. Are you growing your hair?

Yes I am. It was long when I was transitioning, and then I had it cut in an angled bob to get rid of the seven or so inches of dark brown hanging in the back. Then I had the angled bob cut shorter. But now I think I want to see how I look with long hair. I am 65. I would like the option of putting it up.

I know what you mean about thinning hair (sigh). I look at pics of me with brown hair and there is a noticeable difference. Of course, color coats the hair so it makes it look and feel thicker, but that is also damaging. Still I notice my hair has thinned - all over! I no longer have hair on my arms. Yikes when did that happen?

I am not a pinterest user for the most part - would you mind sending me the link to the long silver haired "older" women? thanks much!

If I did not use product on my hair, Im afraid my hair would look very thin indeed...
    Yes I am. It was long when I was transitioning, and then I had it cut in an angled bob to get rid of the seven or so inches of dark brown hanging in the back. Then I had the angled bob cut shorter. But now I think I want to see how I look with long hair. I am 65. I would like the option of putting it up.

I know what you mean about thinning hair (sigh). I look at pics of me with brown hair and there is a noticeable difference. Of course, color coats the hair so it makes it look and feel thicker, but that is also damaging. Still I notice my hair has thinned - all over! I no longer have hair on my arms. Yikes when did that happen?

I am not a pinterest user for the most part - would you mind sending me the link to the long silver haired "older" women? thanks much!

If I did not use product on my hair, Im afraid my hair would look very thin indeed...

Looking at your photo, I think longer hair would be very nice on you, Myrna. With your curl pattern, up-dos would look very pretty, especially with some face-framing curls left loose.

I don't have a Pinterest board of my own, but I did sign up for the sole purpose of browsing the silver hair boards, there are literally hundreds of them it seems. You would need to create an account in order to see the boards, though. Here is a link that you may find useful......hope it works...

https://www.pinterest.com/?logged_out=true

is your name Ella? Welcome to NC!
    I was able to log on to Pinterest - I do have an account although I dont use it much I find it confusing. Still, I went there and typed in long silver hair older women (HATE that older women stuff!) and up came amazing silver women. My thing is that I think long silver hair is totally elegant. Yes, that is the word. How long is yours? Can you post a pic so I can see you with yours, as and inspiration? Mine is growing..thank you for the compliment! I would like to try it. My hair g rows fast, especially in the summer. But, it is more difficult to manage the curl when it is longer; maybe my new stylist will have some suggestions. Interesting that Deva did not work for you either. I have the mousse whicn I have used on the crown of my hair for extra oomph. But, SheaMoisture's mousse seems to be just as good and less than half the price. And available on the ground.
    edited December 2017
    Is your name Ella? Welcome to NC!

Thanks for the welcome, Myrna. I go by Ella. When my sister and I were very young she had a hard time pronouncing my name, it came out as Ella, it has been with me ever since.:)

My hair is almost APL when wet, but it appears much shorter when dry, typical curly girl issue. I was going to add layers but decided against it at the last minute, so I am all one length except for some shorter pieces around my face. This is longest my hair has been in many years. In your previous post you said that you think long silver hair is totally elegant and I agree. Hope I can pull off the elegant part.:happy8:

Last night I decided to create a Pinterest board of my own, may as well, I spend enough time browsing there each night. I am going to post photos of mature ladies with curly, silver hair to help keep me motivated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file