Need Ideas on styling products and tips

Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My hair isn't behaving as it used to. Since I moved to another country it has been gradually loosing definition. It's a combination of things, it's dye, I was using regular shampoo, weather is incredibly dry and when sunny its burning and the water is hard. All this I think have made my hair go flat.
I have dense, coarse and medium to high porosity hair, my texture might be 2c and maybe 3a when properly styled but usually I styled it leaving it as a 2b.
I changed my shampoo, conditioner, and styling cream to kativa brand. Previously I was using the Pantene line.
About two weeks ago I decided to do a protein conditioning and my hair recovered all of its shaped, it was beautiful. I wash it after 4 days and again it was nice but on the third wash, it lost definition. The weird thing about it is that its shrinking up several inches, I have it shoulder length but it goes up to the chin but not forming curls just a big mass.

Is this because of too much moisture?
Do I need a stronger hold?
On the second wash after the protein, I used coconut oil to style and just a bit of styling cream. The problem with the oil is that after 4 days I need to wash it.
So the next time I used only styling cream and that game that shrink up instead of defined waves.
What would be good products for this? its hard where I live to find all the brands but I can guide myself by product type and what should I be looking for.
2c, dense and coarse hair.

Comments

• curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried a harder holding gel? My hair also poofs out, but not in a good way, if I use only creams without hold.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • LBoogie22LBoogie22 Posts: 37Registered Users
    My hair isn't behaving as it used to. Since I moved to another country it has been gradually loosing definition. It's a combination of things, it's dye, I was using regular shampoo, weather is incredibly dry and when sunny its burning and the water is hard. All this I think have made my hair go flat.

I have dense, coarse and medium to high porosity hair, my texture might be 2c and maybe 3a when properly styled but usually I styled it leaving it as a 2b.

I changed my shampoo, conditioner, and styling cream to kativa brand. Previously I was using the Pantene line.

About two weeks ago I decided to do a protein conditioning and my hair recovered all of its shaped, it was beautiful. I wash it after 4 days and again it was nice but on the third wash, it lost definition. The weird thing about it is that its shrinking up several inches, I have it shoulder length but it goes up to the chin but not forming curls just a big mass.

On the second wash after the protein, I used coconut oil to style and just a bit of styling cream. The problem with the oil is that after 4 days I need to wash it.

So the next time I used only styling cream and that game that shrink up instead of defined waves.

What would be good products for this? its hard where I live to find all the brands but I can guide myself by product type and what should I be looking for.

Hi there I think we have very similar hair types. I've read if it's really coarse that a lot of protein is not good (someone correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm new to this and still learning).

I've been using Deva curl products (I know they get a bad wrap here but they really work well for my hair). I've been using their no-poo, one condition, Heaven in Hair and switching back and forth between using the control gel and mousse (I'm still not sure which one works better yet).Their control cream I feel is too heavy for my hair. I have VERY coarse thick hair with more curly underneath and more wavy on top. I've left in a small amount of the Heaven in Hair as a leave in conditioner as my hair needs extra moisture.

Also I just did the "plopping method" last night after applying my products to super wet hair then used a microfiber towel to scrunch out the excess water. This is what I woke up to this morning:

9f60d2a28ae48c91fb751801a8dd9268.jpg

It looks way more amazing in person.

I'm also scheduled for my first ever Devacut in March at the Devachan salon. I'm hoping that by finally getting a proper curly hair cut it will just enhance my curls.

Good luck to you! It really is a science! I'm just grateful I finally found out how to properly care for my crazy curls and now will never go back to straightening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LBoogie22 wrote: »

Hi there I think we have very similar hair types. I've read if it's really coarse that a lot of protein is not good (someone correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm new to this and still learning).

I've been using Deva curl products (I know they get a bad wrap here but they really work well for my hair). I've been using their no-poo, one condition, Heaven in Hair and switching back and forth between using the control gel and mousse (I'm still not sure which one works better yet).Their control cream I feel is too heavy for my hair. I have VERY coarse thick hair with more curly underneath and more wavy on top. I've left in a small amount of the Heaven in Hair as a leave in conditioner as my hair needs extra moisture.

Also I just did the "plopping method" last night after applying my products to super wet hair then used a microfiber towel to scrunch out the excess water. This is what I woke up to this morning:

I'm also scheduled for my first ever Devacut in March at the Devachan salon. I'm hoping that by finally getting a proper curly hair cut it will just enhance my curls.

Good luck to you! It really is a science! I'm just grateful I finally found out how to properly care for my crazy curls and now will never go back to straightening!

Your hair looks amazing! and yes I do think we have very similar type of hair I have seen your pics and it looks a lot like mine. You are right I have also read that on coarse hair protein is not recommended and in the past it has never worked for me, but in this case since it's already damaged a little bit of protein brought my hair back to life.
    I'm still searching for products, where I live there are not many brands to choose from, so it makes it tougher to find the right product at a reasonable price.
    It is a science and confusing sometime but one that is worth knowing! That's awesome that you won't go back to straightening, wavy/curly hair has more personality than straight and it will define you. I feel like my hair is part of who I am and that's why I went crazy when it went flat.
    Thanks for your reply, I'm glad you found something that works for you :)
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LBoogie22 wrote: »

Your hair looks amazing! and yes I do think we have very similar type of hair I have seen your pics and it looks a lot like mine. You are right I have also read that on coarse hair protein is not recommended and in the past it has never worked for me, but in this case since it's already damaged a little bit of protein brought my hair back to life.
    I'm still searching for products, where I live there are not many brands to choose from, so it makes it tougher to find the right product at a reasonable price.
    It is a science and confusing sometime but one that is worth knowing! That's awesome that you won't go back to straightening, wavy/curly hair has more personality than straight and it will define you. I feel like my hair is part of who I am and that's why I went crazy when it went flat.
    Thanks for your reply, I'm glad you found something that works for you :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file