anyone using wigs or extensions?

DarbyDarby Registered Users Posts: 1,025 Curl Neophyte
I have lost probably half of my hair. Not sure yet what is causing it. Most likely hormone related and the Dr. is working on that issue but she could care less about hair loss. She's just interested in my estrogen levels. Hair loss to her is not life or death.
But I've never been so sad or depressed over this. I can't stand going out in public with my scalp showing .
I went to a professional wig place that has toppers, full wigs, etc..... I was quite impressed on how well they look. I got a topper that is curly and matches my own hair. So it blends in with my own but covers the crown which is perfect for me. So no scalp shows. I also got a straight hair wig that looks nice. So I won't have to straighten my own hair. I'm HOPING my own hair will grow again but for now, I'm hoping this will help with my confidence. Wondering if anyone else has considered going this route even if it's not everyday. They are not cheap!! But I didn't want cheap, fake looking so I spent the money.
PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I know there are some members who wear wigs occasionally. Not sure what forum this was posted to, but most of the members who occasionally wear wigs are in the 4 section. There was a type 3 member who got extensions after she had a horrible haircut, but she is no longer active on NC.

It sounds like you have alopecia. Hair usually grows back. I would have your normal doctor run tests to figure out what the issue is. You also might want to see a trichologist, who is a doctor that specializes in hair loss. Are you under a lot of stress or malnourished?

Sorry about the hair loss. I used to have a lot of hair damage. One day, I decided to get it cut pixie short, but the stylist got my hair and inch short. I felt so uncomfortable, I wore a wig for three months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • DarbyDarby Registered Users Posts: 1,025 Curl Neophyte
    I know there are some members who wear wigs occasionally. Not sure what forum this was posted to, but most of the members who occasionally wear wigs are in the 4 section. There was a type 3 member who got extensions after she had a horrible haircut, but she is no longer active on NC.

It sounds like you have alopecia. Hair usually grows back. I would have your normal doctor run tests to figure out what the issue is. You also might want to see a trichologist, who is a doctor that specializes in hair loss. Are you under a lot of stress or malnourished?

Sorry about the hair loss. I used to have a lot of hair damage. One day, I decided to get it cut pixie short, but the stylist got my hair and inch short. I felt so uncomfortable, I wore a wig for three months.

not alopecia. I don't have the pattern type baldness. I can't afford speciality Dr's with my crappy insurance plan. It's growing back SLOWLY. But it will be a while. I went thru my journals last night and found that back in 2008, I had the same issue when my estrogen took a nose dive. I saw a new hormone Dr. back in July and she reduced my dose from 1.5mg to 1mg. doesn't sound like a huge dose change but it is for me. My estradiol numbers on lab work dropped down to 60 when I should be around 120. So, it's hormone related. So at least it will grow back.
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry. At least you know the cause.

3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • lehaleha Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    Depending on where your scalp spots are, strategically-placed extensions could help a lot while the hair is growing back. I have tried both clip-ons and the bead type. The bead types are less hassle day-to-day, but take some getting used to. It's important to find someone who is good at placing them, and to use the best quality ones.

Also, if you get any type of leave-in extensions, DO NOT use shampoo with protein in it. The protein weirdly causes the extensions to tangle up and loop on themselves. Any decent quality shampoo and conditioner that don't have protein will be safe--you can even dye your roots. 

The bead extensions were great for me while my hair was growing out after a stylist had slowly destroyed most of it with highlights (I found out the hard way, my hair does not like bleach). But my experience is that you do have to use the highest quality remy human hair (I recommend Dreamcatchers https://dreamcatchers.com/), and someone who knows how to place them so that you don't get cross-tangling. Then you also have to get used to them. The first few days after they go in, or get moved up, it's pretty ouchy. It gets better, but if you do any kind of lying down exercise routine, that's also ouchy.

And finally, when you do stop using them, cut back gradually over time, allowing the newly-freed hairs on your head to adjust. Extensions can pull out some of your own hairs, too, so less is more. Don't listen to a stylist who tells you having only a few will look weird--they just need to be placed with some balance and artistry. You don't have to get your whole head covered with them. 

I eventually stopped using them and now when I want thicker or longer hair I use the clip-ins. But mostly I am just happy to have my normal hair back, and no more bleach!

Hope this helps. I just the short version is that bead extensions are a good short-term (no more than a couple of years) solution. I would not using the kind that require adhesive!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks, @leha for your knowledgable advice!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • JennisJennis Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I used extensions a few times but I like how my hair is now
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I wear the bead hair extensions. I've been wearing them for about 5 years. My stylist is very good & she buys quality hair.  It is pretty expensive, so I may not have anymore put in once I need to have mine replaced.  
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • socurlssocurls Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 207 Curl Connoisseur

I just bought some yesterday, to change the style according to the days ..

On the left it's my hair natural, the second is a simple clamp with the extension and the third is a total wig..

I would like to know if it can damage my curls ?

( I am very impressed by the way, we do not see the difference between the real hair and the wig lol ) 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file