How often do you detangle???

mrzrapp2015mrzrapp2015 Posts: 122Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I co wash daily AND wash weekly. I have fine hair. SHOULD I be detangling every time I co wash or only when I wash...is it too much manipulation doing it daily for fine hair?

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd say if you need to detangle, do so. Allowing your hair to tangle would lead to more damage than the manipulation of detangling, especially if you detangle in the shower with conditioner. The only other alternative would be a protective style that doesn't allow tangles to start, but protective styles can be problematic for fine hair.

tl;dr- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • dvldvl Posts: 15Registered Users
    The purpose of detangling is to protect your hair. The more tangles you have the harder it will be to remove them and the more hair you'll have to break to detangle. So to give your hair less damage you need to detangle more often.
  • MafiaPrincessMafiaPrincess Posts: 57Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I personally feel keep detangling to a minimum. Not more often than once a week. Yeah the tangles might be a little harder to work through but I'd rather have it that way than detangle every other day and see a few bits of broken hair every single time. Yeah I conclude by saying it's too much manipulation IMO. Simply cowash the rest of the days. You can even low poo your scalp the rest of the days. But on detangling days, exclusively detangle. See to it that you detangle without or with bare minimal breakage. 
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I do a quick minor detangling every time I wash (2-3 times a week) and a major detangling once a month or so.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited July 2018
    I would detangle when I co-wash.  I keep some Kinky Curly Knot Today in the shower and hit any major tangles with it when I need it.  I find that detangling with conditioner in my hair really helps minimize breakage.

I don't co-wash, but wash 2-3 times a week and detangle every time.  There are several detanglers on the market that can help.  If you need extra help a tangle teezer may help too.

Night time pineapples and trims help keep the tangles away for me.

@MafiaPrincess I thought you said you detangle every 4 days in a different thread.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not sure I've ever specifically detangled my hair. I wash alternate days, usually, and by the time I've worked conditioner through my hair any tangles are gone. Maybe it's because my hair's not particularly long, though it's been longer in the past and I've never done it then either.
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file