LCO instead of LOC

Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I read on someone's blog that LCO works better than LOC for lo-po hair. Has anyone found this to be true? I'm wondering if both methods (LCO or LOC) would just create build-up on lo-po hair.
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• mrzrapp2015mrzrapp2015 Posts: 122Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have plus it just makes more sense to me liquid to moisturize cream (based moisturizer) and a oil to seal....pack in the moisture then seal...i don't understand why If oil seals why you would put it.in the middle. Right?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using CurlTalk App
  • StraightPassingStraightPassing Posts: 77Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Having now watched some more videos I'm going to need to experiment and see what works best, because while I absolutely agree that for low po hair a cream on top of oil doesn't seem to make sense, what I was watching was saying that for a lot of low po hair the addition of whichever third layer can create too much buildup so L.O. or L.C. as standalones work better. :)
  • VeryAvgVeggieVeryAvgVeggie Posts: 3Registered Users
    In my experience, LCO has always worked better than LOC. It also makes a lot more sense.

I spray with water first to soften the hair and make it more receptive to products.
    Then I add the leave in to "warm up" the hair and add slip so I can detangle the strands.
    A deep conditioning cream is added next to add the real moisture, softness and nutrients. Sometimes, on days where my hair is particularly low in porosity, doesn't feel in need of a deep conditioning, or if I feel a little build up, I leave this step out.
    The oil adds intense moisture and then seals up the strand with a slick, shiny coating.

You have to remember than oil and water don't mix. Adding it in the middle of the process, on wet hair especially, is going to "block out" the cream and all of the nutrients. IMO it's better to use it as a sealant and let it be the last layer of product absorbed by the hair. It also lays directly under gels if I use a gel. By being next to the gel, it prevents flakes and further protects the strand from the raw gel.

Right now, I use the Shea Moisture Low Porosity Leave In Detangler (a little goes a long way), my Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Curl Smoothie, a homemade coconut/jojoba/argan/lavender oil mix and Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel and it works soooo well for my daily braid outs. No flakes!
    20, Lifelong Natural, Plant-Based, Medium/Long Hair
    3B/3C, Low Porosity, Thick and Dense strands
    Oils:
    Jojoba, Argan, Coconut
    Shampoo:
    • Shea Moisture(SM) Baobab/Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free
    • Maui Moisture(MM) Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk
    Conditioner:
    • SM Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Fee
    • MM Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk
    Leave In:
    MM Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Curl Smoothie