Macrocytic Anemia and Hair--how to recover?

naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So, currently suffering from severe anemia. Suspected to have had it a long time, macrocytic most likely (awaiting test results--macrocytic is when the red blood cells become too large and there aren't enough small red blood cells). I'd lost a lot of hair and never regrew it, and I suspect anemia somewhat straightens curl pattern too. How can I best protect and help my hair recover from this? Apart from correcting the root cause of the anemia that is. Do you use more strengthening hair treatments than normal? Is there anything to help perk up the curl and volume and promote growth? TIA.

3A/f/i
Super baby fine hair, low porosity
Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Comments

• JD.GameAccouJD.GameAccou Posts: 46Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have pernicious anemia that required an iron infusion. I had one last year to get my levels to normal. Since then I've taken a Methylcobalamin B12 and vitiman D to help maintain my levels. I unfortunately had an allergic reaction to a medication in June that made me lose about a 3rd of my hair. Once I stopped that I and stayed consistent on my B12 and D I've noticed the hair growing in is thicker and stronger then it was a year ago. My nails too have gotten harder and they don't peel and split anymore. This also coincides with my one year anniversary of going CG.

I really think the iron infusion and dedication to the B12 and D have improved my hair health with the added benefit of healthy hair products.

I don't know if it would help you, but I thought I would share what I've gone through.

Good luck, stay strong and healthy!
    - Rose

2B/C wavy, fine, high porosity hair

Mod-CG
    Poo: Renpure Bamboo Coconut Water Shampoo
    Condish - SoCozy Boing Sweet Crème Curl Conditioner
    Leave in- KCKT, JM Organics Citrus/Neroli Detangler
    Curl Cream: CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Creme-Lite
    Gel: *searching*
    PT: CJ Repair Me, Gelatin
    Pre-Poo/Overnight: Aloe, Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil Mix
    Clarifying: Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo

*Allergic to Devacurl and Herbal Essences
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much for sharing your story. I am definitely B12 deficient, and likely going through a similar scenario to pernicious anemia. Actually it was featured on Downton Abbey and actually gave me the idea behind my diagnosis, which had been a mystery prior. I am on methylated B12, which doesn't hurt but doesn't help as much as the cyanocobalamin, but that makes my heart palpitate and I crash very badly. Taking folate along with it since it depletes that and I heard I should start potassium too. I have serious end stage complications right now, and have had them for awhile, so waiting to hear back with the results. It's heartening to know you're feeling better after a year. When you first start this journey, it's almost like being a diabetic--needing the B12, but it makes you crash at the same time and then you need to take more.... it's a vicious cycle. This anemia has been going on my entire time CG. Boy my hair will take some time to recover. Also, dunno if this is wishful thinking, but I'm starting to get some silver strands. Will any of them turn back to their original color? :D Anyway thanks again for sharing your story, best wishes for your health.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Naturecat, I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this, but I hope they finally get to the root of the problem!

I've never been in this situation myself, but I'm wondering if it would help if you took a collagen supplement. I started taking one called BioSil, which is made by Natural Factors, a Canadian company. (I think that in Canada, supplements are monitored by the government, so they have more rigorous testing.) It is clinically tested. The bottle says it is supposed to thicken and strengthen hair, among other things. I've been taking it for a month, so it's still kind of early to tell, but I do feel like my skin is more hydrated.

About B12...it's tricky. My doctor told me to have my genetics tested (there are probably various places that do it online; she recommended 23 and Me), and she used that information to tell me which B12 would work for me. Some B12 will actually make you sicker instead of better, depending on your genetics. I take Adenosyl B12 and Hydroxy B12 from Holistic Health. Not sure if that information is helpful or not. The doctor who has done a lot of research into this is Amy Yasko. I think her site is Holistic Health International - Where Science and Caring Meet.

About the silvery hairs...it might just be aging. I always had a few, even in my twenties, but I've had more in the past several years (I'm now 43). I can't help but notice that I got more of them when I had lots of digestive difficulties and sensitivies and overall illness. I'm finally getting my digestion straightened out (after 7 years of being able to eat hardly anything), so only time will tell if some of mine will revert once I am back to health.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Naturecat, I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this, but I hope they finally get to the root of the problem!

I've never been in this situation myself, but I'm wondering if it would help if you took a collagen supplement. I started taking one called BioSil, which is made by Natural Factors, a Canadian company. (I think that in Canada, supplements are monitored by the government, so they have more rigorous testing.) It is clinically tested. The bottle says it is supposed to thicken and strengthen hair, among other things. I've been taking it for a month, so it's still kind of early to tell, but I do feel like my skin is more hydrated.

About B12...it's tricky. My doctor told me to have my genetics tested (there are probably various places that do it online; she recommended 23 and Me), and she used that information to tell me which B12 would work for me. Some B12 will actually make you sicker instead of better, depending on your genetics. I take Adenosyl B12 and Hydroxy B12 from Holistic Health. Not sure if that information is helpful or not. The doctor who has done a lot of research into this is Amy Yasko. I think her site is Holistic Health International - Where Science and Caring Meet.

About the silvery hairs...it might just be aging. I always had a few, even in my twenties, but I've had more in the past several years (I'm now 43). I can't help but notice that I got more of them when I had lots of digestive difficulties and sensitivies and overall illness. I'm finally getting my digestion straightened out (after 7 years of being able to eat hardly anything), so only time will tell if some of mine will revert once I am back to health.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Thanks so much for sharing your journey too Therese. It was very helpful indeed! I do need to see someone holistic about this too, and when I get the $. How alike we are--I can't eat much either, haven't been able to in awhile.
    Funny you should recommend Biosil--I used to take the liquid form. I've cut back on supplements severely due to digestive issues--I have a hard time eating anything that's not raw food. When I get a bit better I want to go back on it. I hope you continue to feel better and get back to health too. Sending healing thoughts your way.

3A/f/i
    Thanks so much for sharing your journey too Therese. It was very helpful indeed! I do need to see someone holistic about this too, and when I get the $. How alike we are--I can't eat much either, haven't been able to in awhile.
    Funny you should recommend Biosil--I used to take the liquid form. I've cut back on supplements severely due to digestive issues--I have a hard time eating anything that's not raw food. When I get a bit better I want to go back on it. I hope you continue to feel better and get back to health too. Sending healing thoughts your way.

3A/f/i
    Therese1 wrote: »

Just curious, is thee a place (not online) where you can find adenosyl and hydroxy B12 on the ground?

3A/f/i
    I doubt it, unless you know of a holistic doctor who stocks supplements. I got mine through my doctor; she stocked certain supplements that she thought were important for patients. I think that Holistic Health supplements are more likely to be stocked by MDs than by vitamin shops. I don't know if anyone else makes these forms of B12. Sorry that I don't have a better answer for you.
    Thanks for your response. Yeah I was thinking of calling my naturopathic doc Monday if he's open. I'm not doing well on the other forms of B12 at all, so trying to get them ASAP. Hopeful that the other forms will work. Thanks so much for the info; you have no idea how much it helps! Right now I can't stand up without some B12 in my body. The right B12 can make all the difference, and if it wasn't for you I wouldn't know much about the other forms.

3A/f/i
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hope, things improve for all 3 of you, pals!!
    Wow, naturecat...I'm so sorry. It sounds like the B12 is a very serious situation for you. I wish I knew more about the other forms, but I'm clueless. If I remember right, they're not horribly expensive, but they're not cheap either--I want to say they're $30-40. Of course, if they work, you don't mind the price, but if they don't work, it's upsetting to have spent the money. And I'm guessing that you don't have much money due to health problems sucking away your finances. It's so depressing. I'm pretty much penniless due to my health issues. :(

I did go to a new naturopath this past spring, and he found that I had a candida overgrowth and mercury toxicity, which were partly to blame for the digestive issues. I guess the two go together often. I had been on some medication several years ago that made me grind my teeth terribly, and that can cause the mercury in tooth fillings to vaporize. The vapor is inhaled, which causes the toxicity. I think that that is when the candida can get overgrown, because the body is sick and doesn't have a healthy pH. After we cleared up the candida and mercury, he saw that I had a depleted endocrine system, so we are working on rebuilding that. The rest of the issues appear to be caused by PTSD, which I didn't realize I had until a couple of years ago. I just mention this stuff in case any of it might apply to you. My digestion is LOTS better than it was, though it is still very touchy. But I'm able to eat foods that I haven't been able to eat in seven years. I'm so grateful for that.

With regard to B12, I would stay away from soy, if you are eating any (like tofu)...last I heard, soy has compounds that can mimic B12 and might make absorption of actual B12 more difficult. I also had an acupuncturist tell me once that green leafy vegetables can help you absorb B12 better, but I don't know the rationale behind it.
    Wow, naturecat...I'm so sorry. It sounds like the B12 is a very serious situation for you. I wish I knew more about the other forms, but I'm clueless. If I remember right, they're not horribly expensive, but they're not cheap either--I want to say they're $30-40. Of course, if they work, you don't mind the price, but if they don't work, it's upsetting to have spent the money. And I'm guessing that you don't have much money due to health problems sucking away your finances. It's so depressing. I'm pretty much penniless due to my health issues. :(

I did go to a new naturopath this past spring, and he found that I had a candida overgrowth and mercury toxicity, which were partly to blame for the digestive issues. I guess the two go together often. I had been on some medication several years ago that made me grind my teeth terribly, and that can cause the mercury in tooth fillings to vaporize. The vapor is inhaled, which causes the toxicity. I think that that is when the candida can get overgrown, because the body is sick and doesn't have a healthy pH. After we cleared up the candida and mercury, he saw that I had a depleted endocrine system, so we are working on rebuilding that. The rest of the issues appear to be caused by PTSD, which I didn't realize I had until a couple of years ago. I just mention this stuff in case any of it might apply to you. My digestion is LOTS better than it was, though it is still very touchy. But I'm able to eat foods that I haven't been able to eat in seven years. I'm so grateful for that.

With regard to B12, I would stay away from soy, if you are eating any (like tofu)...last I heard, soy has compounds that can mimic B12 and might make absorption of actual B12 more difficult. I also had an acupuncturist tell me once that green leafy vegetables can help you absorb B12 better, but I don't know the rationale behind it.
    Thanks so much for sharing your journey, therese1. your naturopath sounds really good. I don't really eat soy, apart from miso (though I think mine's brown rice, not even soy), and my tempeh is 5 grain. But fermented soy is another animal entirely I believe with respect to digestive issues. Raw leafy greens are a huge part of what I eat.... in fact when I stray from them I often can't eat (much). Vitamin C I believe helps you absorb vitamin B12 better. I'm doing a bit better with food form supplements of B12. But still not getting the energy or brain fog lifting I got from the cyano form, but the cyano made my heart race and a whole bunch of unpleasant things such that I cannot keep taking it. So trying to find the fastest delivery of the adenosyl/hydroxy online. Also trying to find a sublingual form so I don't have to deal with digesting it. I'm guessing I have no stomach lining left so it's anyone's guess how much B12 I'll actually absorb if I take it as a capsule. My Dr recommended methylated folate, but if I'm a poor methylater that might not help much. But tonight unfortunately my symptoms progressed and I think it's much more than a vitamin B problem/anemia problem. I'm going to talk to Doctors tomorrow and hopefully will get to the bottom of it before it gets too out of hand.

3A/f/i
    Saying a prayer for you, naturecat. I hope that the doctors have some solutions for you tomorrow!
    Thanks. It was quite serious before. So I appreciate the good wishes. Yes, hopefully I'll have answers soon.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file