I feel like I have to always wash my hair to style it.

I'm kind of new here, but I haven't done anything brutal to my curls in a couple years and kept it natural, but I do wash them too much, I think.

I keep reading that over washing hair is bad and that I should only wash it like once or twice a week, but if I don't wash it, it becomes a tangled frizzy mess and if I comb it then it's just a huge puffy crazy thing.

When I wash it I comb it, then do what I want and then let it dry and curl, Is there any way to have it not become puffy or tangled during the day/over night, my hair instantly tangles a bit as soon as it's dry. Can people with curly hair wake up and just fix it without soaking it in water to reset it?

Here's pictures. (I'm shy so I'm blocking out my face, sorry if that's weird!)

Anyway here's my hair when I let it dry curly.
hidingbutcurly.jpg

and after when I wake up or comb it. (I sleep in a pony tail though)
my hairafter sleep.jpg

Any help is appreciated. (also did I get my hair type right?)

Details: I don't use any styling products or anything except conditioner and occasional shampoo. Also sometimes leave in conditioner cream.
:compress: Do what you want, be who you want, look how you want. Because you can't tell the difference between skeletons or ashes. :compress:

Comments

• SpookyMixedGirlSpookyMixedGirl Posts: 3Registered Users
    How do you get anyone to help on this site? -.-

Edit: Sorry, I was on this site for a few days a year or two ago and I asked a question and nothing happened. So I guess that's why I was impatient? Anyway. Thank you all for replying and thank you to anyone else who does.
    :compress: Do what you want, be who you want, look how you want. Because you can't tell the difference between skeletons or ashes. :compress:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can never get "2nd day hair" either. I also feel I have to either wash or re-wet my hair to get it to look decent. Many of us struggle with this. In my case just re-wetting doesn't work that well, but I can't wash every day. I keep hoping to find a good solution so your question is a good one.

I hope other people chime in and you get some helpful responses. Be patient - it sometimes takes a day or two before you get good responses.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I echo what curlypearl said: a lot of us struggle with this. People often recommend sleeping on a satin pillowcase, which allows the hair to slide around, decreasing friction and reducing frizz. Some people buy a special satin cap to wear at night (I've seen them at Sally's Beauty and Walmart).

My hair is very different from yours (mine is slippery and doesn't tangle much), so I'm unfortunately not able to give very helpful advice. I hope that others will chime in over the next couple of days (it often takes a while to get responses).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair's a lost cause after sleeping on it too, It's only been in fairly recent times that I've managed to wear my hair loose on day two and even then I do need to wet it a fair bit. When I'm in the shower (day two) I wet the lengths with my hands, I don't put my head under the shower, so the top stays dry, then I just blot dry and add a bit of mousse. Maybe using some styling product would help your curls stay put, I could never not use something in my hair though there are people who manage with conditioner only styling.
    I'd echo what the others said too, about being patient here, the site's had a problem affecting people posting which has been really, really annoying for us long timers, we've all gone a bit quiet!
    3b in South Australia.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair's a lost cause after sleeping on it too, It's only been in fairly recent times that I've managed to wear my hair loose on day two and even then I do need to wet it a fair bit. When I'm in the shower (day two) I wet the lengths with my hands, I don't put my head under the shower, so the top stays dry, then I just blot dry and add a bit of mousse. Maybe using some styling product would help your curls stay put, I could never not use something in my hair though there are people who manage with conditioner only styling.
    I'd echo what the others said too, about being patient here, the site's had a problem affecting people posting which has been really, really annoying for us long timers, we've all gone a bit quiet!
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your curls are so pretty! I really like your hair. What has worked for me, is doing the "pineapple" method at night. Then in the morning, I use a small amount of gel, or if my hair is feeling dry, a small bit of conditioner, rub my hands together,and get my hands wet, then carefully slide my hands/fingers down each curl, especially where it's really frizzy. I do have to be careful not to just rake my fingers through the curls, since that causes so much frizz, but this has worked very well for me. I usually can get 2,3 or even 4 day hair. If it dries crunchy, I just scrunch it, or even use a diffuser, for more volume. Oh, and I saw your picture where you had combed out your dry curls. Oh my gosh, you're really not supposed to do that lol. That's like #1 no-no for curly hair. Sorry, I just had to say it :) HTH
    Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • SpookyMixedGirlSpookyMixedGirl Posts: 3Registered Users
    Your curls are so pretty! I really like your hair. What has worked for me, is doing the "pineapple" method at night. Then in the morning, I use a small amount of gel, or if my hair is feeling dry, a small bit of conditioner, rub my hands together,and get my hands wet, then carefully slide my hands/fingers down each curl, especially where it's really frizzy. I do have to be careful not to just rake my fingers through the curls, since that causes so much frizz, but this has worked very well for me. I usually can get 2,3 or even 4 day hair. If it dries crunchy, I just scrunch it, or even use a diffuser, for more volume. Oh, and I saw your picture where you had combed out your dry curls. Oh my gosh, you're really not supposed to do that lol. That's like #1 no-no for curly hair. Sorry, I just had to say it :) HTH

I didn't comb it that time ._. the pillow case does it (also the having it in a pony tail possibly). Also thanks for sharing your method, maybe I'll give that a try. :happy9:
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I find that a decent spritz of water mixed with a bit of conditioner (as opposed to a full on soak) does the trick for me. I do use a gel on day one which usually needs to be scrunched when dry to soften and that's it. It is never perfect, but I just let it live as it is!
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, sorry about assuming that, my bad.

I didn't comb it that time ._. the pillow case does it (also the having it in a pony tail possibly). Also thanks for sharing your method, maybe I'll give that a try. :happy9:

• beachcurlybeachcurly Posts: 4Registered Users
    When my hair has looked it's best was when I would rewett it every morning with cold water. Rewetting it isn't bad, it's the constant washing.

My hair now is really long, so a pineapple tends to tangle it. So what I do now is simply put my hair up above my head over the pillow. I get to wear my hair loose for about three days (yes I get third day hair) and after that I can get away with not washing it by just putting it up in a ponytail. I bet I could get it to last longer with a satin pillow case.

Another way is to just pick it up in a hair wrap. I don't know if they still sell it, check in the curlmart. If not just get a satin handkerchief and wrap your hair in it. Secure it with Bobby pins so it doesn't slip off at night.
    Caribbean
    3a hair long to the middle of my back when dry, layered in front, highlights
    HG: Routine: 1. Go to the beach & swim underwater, hair loose. Air dry. (looks beautiful!) 2. Rinse in the shower with only water, air dry. (frizz-free defined curls) 3. For second day hair, sleep with loose hair pulled up over pillow. (Wake up w/ lots of volume! n defined curls) 4. Repeat step 2&3 for third and fourth day hair
    No-poo
    Looking for conditioner

Searching for an easy 1-2 product routine!
  • mrzrapp2015mrzrapp2015 Posts: 122Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I co wash daily. Wash weekly. I have the same issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file