Anyone Else Hate Shea Moisture?

PumpkinbreathPumpkinbreath Posts: 21Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Or maybe anything with shea butter in general? I have tried so many of shea moistures products and my hair hates all of them. They make my hair hard, dry, and straw like. It's not about protein.. my hair loves protein. The ONLY thing by shea moisture that my hair actually likes is the 10 in 1 deep conditioner.

(Just as a side note my hair seems to hate any products geared towards "ethnic" hair... which is really ..I dunno disappointing? I cant seem to find any products that work well for me whether theyre "meant" for my hair or not. If the "black" hair products don't work for my "black" hair then what will?? #hopeless)

Comments

• Allie.BlakeAllie.Blake Posts: 9Registered Users
    Nope, you're not alone. I tried their high porosity line and my hair hated it. I'm using the weightless line now and it works okay, not great. The shampoo makes my hair knotty and stringy, but the conditioner helps a lot with smoothing it. I plan on starting an new regimen once I can definitively tell what porosity level my hair is.

2c-3b/fine/thin/porous

Cleanser: Devacurl no-poo Decadence
    RO: Devacurl One Condition Decadence
    LI: KCKT
    Styler: Devacurl Styling Cream

{still looking for HGs"}

• Allie.BlakeAllie.Blake Posts: 9Registered Users
    Nope, you're not alone. I tried their high porosity line and my hair hated it. I'm using the weightless line now and it works okay, not great. The shampoo makes my hair knotty and stringy, but the conditioner helps a lot with smoothing it. I plan on starting an new regimen once I can definitively tell what porosity level my hair is.

2c-3b/fine/thin/porous

Cleanser: Devacurl no-poo Decadence
    RO: Devacurl One Condition Decadence
    LI: KCKT
    Styler: Devacurl Styling Cream

{still looking for HGs"}

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you have fine, thin hair in the 3s like me? When you say "ethnic", do you mean one or both of your parents is nonwhite? Curly hair doesn't necessarily fall along race lines. Sure, type 4 hair is far more common among black women, but there are black women with hair in the 3s, and people of mixed race can be anywhere in the curly spectrum, just ask my nieces and nephews, lol. If so, not being able to use heavy products and butters is our thing. It does kinda suck, because a lot of curly products are aimed at coarse and/or thick hair in the 4s, which responds a little differently to that kind of product. Then you go over to the "nonethic" hair care aisle* and all the curly stuff is chock full of silicones, so what's a girl to do?

I've found a couple of ways around this. The first is to stay away from products that are heavy in butters or coconut oil. (Oils in general aren't a problem, my hair loves olive oil.) There are a ton of "natural" products that work. Generally speaking, if a product is labels as being for coarse, thick hair, it's not gonna work. You can also look at viscosity, i.e., how liquidy is it? If it's chunky, thick and almost a solid, not gonna work.

Applying product to soaking wet hair helps, too. This kinda dilutes it, so even if it is a little heavy, I can still use it. Amount of product makes a difference. I tend to be a little heavy-handed, so if I try something new and the first day my hair is weighted down, lank, greasy, etc., I'll try again with less product.

So, things that have worked for me, Kinky Curly Knot Today, but only use a small amount. Kinky Curly Curling Custard I use a half dollar sized amount. Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme Lite works really well, it's a reformulation of the very popular Coffee Coco Creme specifically for finer/thinner hair, I use it with Pattern Pusha on top. Devacurl Curl Creme works, but a little goes a long way and the line between enough and too much is very thin. LA Looks Sports Gel is my go to high humidity gel. I have found that I can cowash, as long as I really scrub my scalp with the pads of my fingers and regularly alternate with low poo (a shampoo that's sulfate free, but contains cocomidapropyl betaine). I use one of Shea Moisture's shampoos, actually, I really like it.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

*don't get me started on why hair care is separated like that! Just put all the curly hair stuff in one place already.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • PumpkinbreathPumpkinbreath Posts: 21Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Neither of my parents are white (my mom is like a quarter white though) and yeah I know hair type doesn't necessarily have to do with race haha but I just find it disappointing that products geared towards my hair doesnt work for my hair haha.

But to answer your question I do have fine, thin, 3 something hair (and there's A LOT of it). I think i will try to go for the more liquidy products instead of the heavy/thick ones.
    I try to get all of my hair soaking wet when i put on products but my hair has problems soaking up the water (just drips right off.. probably because my hair has low porosity.. i think)
    I do remember liking kinky curly knot today but i went through it too quickly.. and it's a little pricy haha. I will check out those other products you mentioned ��
    Neither of my parents are white (my mom is like a quarter white though) and yeah I know hair type doesn't necessarily have to do with race haha but I just find it disappointing that products geared towards my hair doesnt work for my hair haha.

But to answer your question I do have fine, thin, 3 something hair (and there's A LOT of it). I think i will try to go for the more liquidy products instead of the heavy/thick ones.
    I try to get all of my hair soaking wet when i put on products but my hair has problems soaking up the water (just drips right off.. probably because my hair has low porosity.. i think)
    I do remember liking kinky curly knot today but i went through it too quickly.. and it's a little pricy haha. I will check out those other products you mentioned 😄
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wanted to like all the shea moisture products because they got so many excellent reviews but they weighed down my hair and made it feel dirty. My hair isn't even fine at all - it's coarse 3a with maybe some 2c in there.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    I haven't liked Shea Moisture products until I tried their low porosity shampoo, conditioner and leave in. I think their other products were just too heavy for my hair. But I'm using the low porosity items daily and will continue to buy them. They make my hair so soft and help with frizz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    curlisue1 wrote: »
    I haven't liked Shea Moisture products until I tried their low porosity shampoo, conditioner and leave in. I think their other products were just too heavy for my hair. But I'm using the low porosity items daily and will continue to buy them. They make my hair so soft and help with frizz

I was interested in trying the low porosity line but it smells so bad to me 😷
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yes, the smell isn't the greatest. I'm finding that it doesn't linger though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have actually been going through a similar issue. I tried a couple of natural gels with shea butter as a higher up ingredient over the holidays and yeah- my hair felt drier and heavier- also just didn't feel as "nice." But every time I used my KCCC and mop top custard etc my hair just felt better and also just looked better. I've weeded out products with shea. I have tried a few shea moisture products and while I liked aspects of them, I did find my hair got build up very quickly. I liked the curl enhancing smoothie except for the weird feeling my hair got. Now I think I can attribute that to the shea butter. I'm not tossing the product because I tend to keep products for a while and try again after a long while. Seems futile but my hair Is ridiculous and has decided to like products that used to be terrible. So now I don't throw as much out ha ha. Anyways, yes at the moment I totally agree about shea moisture products and shea butter in general! Try some custards- the as I am jelly is good, and I like kccc and mop top. I'm going to retry my Camille rose custard as well- at the moment my hair really likes jellies/custards.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • lisar12lisar12 Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah I don't use a Shea Moisture products or any products containing butters and oils and certain other ingredients.
  • curladdycurladdy Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I have tried the Shea Moisture styling Milk and it made my hair flat and super greasy. I do like the smell, but obviously it's too much for my fine, thin, 2c hair. So right now I am using it as a final step to seal the ends. I take a little less than a pea size and rub it between my hands for several seconds and then just scrunch the ends a little. At this rate bottle should last me until 2050.
    Fine and low density 2C whirly wavy, hoping to push into 3A with Curly Girl Method - recommitted to curly girl 2017

Current Products (Experimenting Always)
    Wash: Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle or Devacurl Delight Low Poo
    Condish: Devacurl Delight One Condition or KCKT
    Styler: Devacurl Styling Cream (looking for something similar without glycerin)... playing with minuscule amounts of Shea Moisture Styling Milk
    Not a fan of gels, but trying: KCCC and Miss Jessie's Jelly Curls
  • curladdycurladdy Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I have tried the Shea Moisture styling Milk and it made my hair flat and super greasy. I do like the smell, but obviously it's too much for my fine, thin, 2c hair. So right now I am using it as a final step to seal the ends. I take a little less than a pea size and rub it between my hands for several seconds and then just scrunch the ends a little. At this rate bottle should last me until 2050.
    Fine and low density 2C whirly wavy, hoping to push into 3A with Curly Girl Method - recommitted to curly girl 2017

Current Products (Experimenting Always)
    Wash: Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle or Devacurl Delight Low Poo
    Condish: Devacurl Delight One Condition or KCKT
    Styler: Devacurl Styling Cream (looking for something similar without glycerin)... playing with minuscule amounts of Shea Moisture Styling Milk
    Not a fan of gels, but trying: KCCC and Miss Jessie's Jelly Curls
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use their FF weightless shampoo. It's the gentlest shampoo I've used, even though like other shampoos it too can make my hair dry and tangly at times (nothing a little catnip tea can't fix though). I haven't tried a lot of their products, but the few I tried did weigh down my hair and make it greasy. I have baby fine 2C/3A hair. So yes most of their products would be too much for my fine hair, but I do love their natural ingredients and wish more companies would aspire to that.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CurlyMariaCurlyMaria Posts: 11Registered Users
    Weirdly I didn't like the shea moisture lines either until I finally accepted the squish to condish method (for some reason it took me ages to get the idea!). Seems like when I was previously lathering it all over my hair it just overloaded me, whereas now I use a lot less product and much more of my shower water is penetrating my hair it's absolutely unreal.

Anyway now I find my hair absolutely loves the JBCO line and fruit fusion coconut water range. The only one thing I'd point out is that for other UK curlies the Boots range is actually a different formulation so I buy it from a local hair shop which stocks the original.
  • CurlyMariaCurlyMaria Posts: 11Registered Users
    Sorry meant to add that my hair is mostly 3b with bits of 3a and some 3c as well in the back, my hair is really fine but there is loads of it. I can see most o f you guys have your hair info in your tagline, but I have spent ages looking and can't figure out how to do that on my profile :confused:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file