Yoga

JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
Does anyone here do yoga? If so, what kind? I was thinking of doing Ashtanga, or maybe Power yoga. What did you think? I've very unflexible so not sure how it's going to work out. Does anyone have any recs for some online classes that are free? I want to go into a studio but want to try it at home first.

Comments

• PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    I practice. It depends on what you want out of it. Ashtanga is pretty regimented and specific.

I would suggest beginning with some gentle or beginner classes, this will help you get used to what your body feels like in poses. My personal experience with power yoga (or flow or vinyasa) classes is that the focus is on continuing and pushing and sometimes alignment can get compromised, especially if you aren't sure what your body should feel like in poses.

Why does that matter? Because you can injure yourself pretty significantly if you aren't careful.

I love yoga and it helps me a lot. The flexibility will come (and you may never be a pretzel and that is fine, it's about what your body can do).

I don't have any suggestions for online. If you can find a beginner class somewhere that'd help you with saftey, alignment, etc.

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with Perri. I love Sarah Beth Yoga on YouTube. Most of her videos are free and she is easy to follow. She has power, hatha, and restorative routines, along with these in vinyasa flows. There are 15 and 30 minute practices. I would suggest you start with the 15-minute stress relief https://youtu.be/B0-fo_fB8nA or the 10-minute mindful morning https://youtu.be/RcHIq-_bATQ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • suzi2qssuzi2qs Registered Users Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
    Yoga is wonderful. Don't be worried about your level of flexibility or strength. Find a good yoga practice in your area and go talk to them before signing up. The online classes mentioned are really good, however it is not the same as being in a class where an instructor can physically move you into the right position for any given pose. I am 53 years old and through yoga and stretching, I am able to do a full frontal split. A pretty amazing feat for someone who could not bend down and touch her toes when she was in her twenties.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG 7/29/2016
    LoPoo - SM FF, Jessicurl Gentle Lather,KCCC, Malibu C UnDoGoo
    Co-wash - Camille Rose Caramel Co Wash
    RO - DC Decadence, Jessicurl Too Shea! CJ Curl Rehab. LI - As I Am, Camille Rose Moisture Milk
    Styler - DC Ultra Defining Gel, KCCC, AG Re-coil Camille Rose Curl Maker
    DT - CJ Rehab & Repair Mielle Organics Babassu
    Olaplex 1 & 2 monthly, Deva Towel, 2 prong hair clips, satin sleep bonnet. Clarify with sulfate shampoo monthly, no cones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file