highlights help!

curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
About 8 yrs ago I had highlights put in my hair. although I liked how it looked my hair was a tangled dry mess. I swore never to do it again.

I figured as I now use better products and my hair is potentially in a better condition I would try it again well I have exactly the same results. it is matted from the roots but the lengths and ends are fine.
I can spend ages in the shower detangling then upon rinsing its like I didn't even bother.
the only thing that seems to help so far is doing a rhassoul and bentonite clay mask with marshmallow root 'tea' with coconut, almond and avocado oil. then washing and deep conditioning with shea moisture JBCO line.
the problem with that is I have a 8 month old baby so I don't have a couple hours put aside to do this process.

my hair does not like protein, it makes it dry hard and tangled and as I'm already having that issue I don't want to make it worse.

does anyone know what I can do to help with the dryness/matting?
at the moment I have on rotation shea moisture, as I am products ( which aren't cheap in the UK) and have been using tresemme conditioner for the slip ( before highlights I could detangle within 3 minutes just using my hands, now its a tangle teezer, wide tooth comb and fingers only to still have knots)
do I just need to keep up the deep conditioning and maybe do the clay thing once a week?
I just want my old hair or something close to it, back :cry::cry:
Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    About 8 yrs ago I had highlights put in my hair. although I liked how it looked my hair was a tangled dry mess. I swore never to do it again.

I figured as I now use better products and my hair is potentially in a better condition I would try it again well I have exactly the same results. it is matted from the roots but the lengths and ends are fine.
    I can spend ages in the shower detangling then upon rinsing its like I didn't even bother.
    the only thing that seems to help so far is doing a rhassoul and bentonite clay mask with marshmallow root 'tea' with coconut, almond and avocado oil. then washing and deep conditioning with shea moisture JBCO line.
    the problem with that is I have a 8 month old baby so I don't have a couple hours put aside to do this process.

my hair does not like protein, it makes it dry hard and tangled and as I'm already having that issue I don't want to make it worse.

does anyone know what I can do to help with the dryness/matting?
    at the moment I have on rotation shea moisture, as I am products ( which aren't cheap in the UK) and have been using tresemme conditioner for the slip ( before highlights I could detangle within 3 minutes just using my hands, now its a tangle teezer, wide tooth comb and fingers only to still have knots)
    do I just need to keep up the deep conditioning and maybe do the clay thing once a week?
    I just want my old hair or something close to it, back :cry::cry:

Welcome!! Do any of the products currently in rotation, have polyquats? sometimes, these can cause buildup/dry matted feeling when wet , .

2nd thought- would be some folks find coconut oil in mask/DCs can act similarly to protein. Since you mentioned knowing your curls have problems with high-protein products?
  • stream26stream26 Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had the exact same problem after balayage form, my hair was matted and tangled all the time and soooooooooo dry! I never heat styled it, I have virgin hair, I oiled it regularly and trimmed a lot. I have 2a/m hair, too, so we may have experienced the same thing for similar reasons. For me, strangely enough, it was conditioner that did it. I think the build up from the cones in the conditioner, no matter how nice or supposedly "hair friendly" or "detangling" it was, I would ALWAYS end up with crunchy ends and huge dreads after I worked, slept, anything, even if I oiled it and brushed it regularly and babied it a lot!
    I heard about water-only washing and at first didn't think it would work for me because I couldn't imagine detangling my hair without conditioner, but after researching it a bit I decided to try it and I am hooked. I don't get matted tangles EVER anymore! It seems as though the conditioner would fix the problem in the short term but the more I used, the more I needed. Now that my hair is full of it's natural oils and sebum it is so soft and silky and healthy even if I have a really rough working day in the garden. It turns out that my hair wasn't actually even that dry, but the product build-up gave the impression that it was.
    My routine for the first few months of WO was to put a tiny bit of oil on my fingertips and work out all the big tangles by hand, then comb or brush, and then use a boar-bristle-brush to work the sebum and oil throughout the length of my hair, and rinse with water when needed. Now I don't need the oil anymore for the tangles (sometimes I put essential oils in a rinse for the nice smell) and the sebum has penetrated my whole length and seriously my hair is manageable even after the roughest treatment. Also it is cheaper and I can travel anywhere without worrying about which products to bring, etc.
    7d0403c9c383a79b99676a00c8258271.jpg
  • SundialSundial Posts: 72Registered Users
    Hi,

Sorry to hear that! Have you tried using something other than the Tresemme conditioner? I find it has that effect on my hair.

I'm in the UK too and I've had a good experience with the Vitamin E "Dr Organic" organic conditioners sold at Holland and Barrett.

Worth a try anyway!
  • SundialSundial Posts: 72Registered Users
    Hi,

Sorry to hear that! Have you tried using something other than the Tresemme conditioner? I find it has that effect on my hair.

I'm in the UK too and I've had a good experience with the Vitamin E "Dr Organic" organic conditioners sold at Holland and Barrett.

Worth a try anyway!
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    thanks for the replies I forgot I had posted this.

in time it seemed to get a little better but I got bored and found it was way too light anyway once I roots started to come in and no way was I going to have more done to upkeep the colour so I have started to henna again and it has made a huge improvement. I have a colour close to what I wanted in the first place and my hair is somewhat back to how it was before the highlights.
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file