Salon color of DIY at home?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I recently went jet black from dirty blonde/brown at a salon. The stylist who dyed it said I should not attempt to touch up the roots or do any follow up coloring w/ black dye by myself at home. Sure, she wants my business! But no, she said black box color is nearly impossible to lift out if I ever decide to go light again; professional black color is much easier to transition away from.

Has anyone heard this?

I have been coloring my hair for 30 yrs. Sometimes at home and sometimes at a salon....I never realized there was a difference. (Had it done professionally mainly bc highlights are hard to diy.)

Plz advise.

Comments

• curladdycurladdy Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know about black, per say, but I did have mine dyed from blonde to dark brown once. I got so tired of having to go back and get it done as it faded every 4-6 weeks, that I dyed it with henna. That @#% cannot be undone. I basically had to grow the henna out, where I would have been able to dye the darker color away. If your black is fading, I'd go back to the salon. Another option would be to buy the same quality dye they use at the salon somewhere like Sally's, thought, right?
    Fine and low density 2C whirly wavy, hoping to push into 3A with Curly Girl Method - recommitted to curly girl 2017

Current Products (Experimenting Always)
    Wash: Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle or Devacurl Delight Low Poo
    Condish: Devacurl Delight One Condition or KCKT
    Styler: Devacurl Styling Cream (looking for something similar without glycerin)... playing with minuscule amounts of Shea Moisture Styling Milk
    Not a fan of gels, but trying: KCCC and Miss Jessie's Jelly Curls
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    curladdy wrote: »
    I don't know about black, per say, but I did have mine dyed from blonde to dark brown once. I got so tired of having to go back and get it done as it faded every 4-6 weeks, that I dyed it with henna. That @#% cannot be undone. I basically had to grow the henna out, where I would have been able to dye the darker color away. If your black is fading, I'd go back to the salon. Another option would be to buy the same quality dye they use at the salon somewhere like Sally's, thought, right?

That's a great compromise -- buy the salon-quality color and diy at home! Yes! Now to find out what products they use...

• DinaWestleyDinaWestley Posts: 15Registered Users
    I recently went jet black from dirty blonde/brown at a salon. The stylist who dyed it said I should not attempt to touch up the roots or do any follow up coloring w/ black dye by myself at home. Sure, she wants my business! But no, she said black box color is nearly impossible to lift out if I ever decide to go light again; professional black color is much easier to transition away from.

Has anyone heard this?

I have been coloring my hair for 30 yrs. Sometimes at home and sometimes at a salon....I never realized there was a difference. (Had it done professionally mainly bc highlights are hard to diy.)

Plz advise.

I tried coloring at home and I've tried black and a salon also told me that its quite difficult to color it from very dark to a light color especially if you have grey hair. By the way, since then, I never go back to doing it myself. The only difference I always see is they know well in terms of applying the hair color and they know how to treat my hair gently and effectively.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file