Opinions on protein shakes?

Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
First off, I wasn't really sure where to post this, because it's also a little bit of a hair question as well as a nutrition question. I've been thinking that I would benefit greatly from adding more protein to my diet. I think it might help my hair and nails become stronger and will also help support my existing muscle mass.

I already started taking a hair and nail multivitamin, and my diet is decent, but I'm beginning to think I don't get enough protein. I realized that this week I've mostly been eating veggies and whole wheat pasta with very little protein to be found. I think I only ate protein two days out of the whole week. It made me think that I should be more aware of the protein that I'm consuming and that I should increase it.

Which brings me to to my question: What do you guys think of protein shakes? I'm getting conflicting information. I hear that they can make you gain weight, which isn't what I want. However, I've also heard that they can help you lose weight because it's a source of protein that's low in fat and carbs for little calories.

I bought a whey protein powder today and it has 23 grams of protein per serving, 1.5 grams of fat, and 2 grams of carbs. I was thinking about having one shake a day for breakfast. I figure any protein I eat after that will be a bonus.

I guess it will be easier to give me an opinion if I mention what it is I'm expecting to gain from it. I'm hoping it will help with the strength of my hair and nails, but will also help with my fitness endeavors. I'm not trying to lose weight anymore, but I am trying to lower my body fat levels. I work out using a rowing machine and an elliptical where I can increase the resistance to give me a more muscle toning workout.

What do you guys think? Do you think the shakes would be helpful or detrimental to what I'm trying to accomplish?
www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.

Comments

• CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I'm someone who struggles to get in adequate amounts of protein... unless you count ice cream as a protein source :oops:. Protein shakes are not ideal, but they are the only way I know of to get enough quality protein in me.

My brand is the optimum natural whey, and I buy the 5lb tub. I usually get the vanilla ice cream, but I just ordered the new french vanilla. It's about 24g of protein and 130 cals per scoop.
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Oh hey! I was hoping you would chime in. You're always so helpful on my exercise thread :D .

So, do you drink it every day? I was comtemplating taking it a few times a week, since I don't really weight train heavily. When you do take it, are you more cautious of the protein you intake afterwards? I feel like I should be, since I read that overdoing protein could affect my liver. Then again, I read conflicting information on where excess protein goes. I've also read it could go to the hair and nails, which in my case would be a good thing.
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
    I used to drink it everyday, but not lately. I'm trying to get back to daily, and I am considering getting the double chocolate so I have some variety. I don't watch my other protein sources because without supplementing, I think my macros look something like 20p/60c/20f. I prefer 40p/40c/20f. 24g of protein is really not much, so some days I even try to drink 2 scoops.

For weight training, it's recommended that one consume 1g of protein for each lb of total weight or lean muscle. That's a lot. I'm nowhere near that.
    Hmm...so my high tech scale tells me I have 37 lbs of muscle. If I intake enough protein and maybe a little more to support that, then maybe the protein shake is overkill for every day use in my case.
    Whoa! How is that possible? Oh wait... muscle is typically counted as everything excluding fat. So bone density, water, etc counts towards your muscle mass.

If I remember correctly, you're around 105 with 15% bf, so that would be 89.25 lbs of "muscle mass" and 15.75 of "body fat", which translates to needing about 89.25 g of protein daily. If each meal you have typically has about 15g of protein, that's almost 6 meals.
    Well, my new scale puts me at 113 lbs, 23.2% body fat, 56% water, and 37.6% muscle mass (weighed myself this morning). Like you said in Mar's thread, vanity scaling, I suppose. I know I haven't gained back a lot of weight as I still fit in my clothes except maybe the slimmest ones. I estimate about a 3lb weight gain according to how my clothes fit.

Sorry, I didn't realize that it gave a percentage, I thought it was giving me lbs. I'm not a whiz at math AT all, so feel free to correct me. I figured I had 42 lbs of muscle.

I have to say though, I really like the stats you gave me much better :lol: .
    Using the new numbers, you are at 26.216 lbs of "body fat" and 86.784 lbs of "muscle mass". Still almost 6 meals... assuming reasonably small meals though.
    Oh great! Thank you for doing the math. I'm definitely not getting enough protein in that case. I do if I eat meat, but I don't do so everyday. Thanks for your help!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file