First Day Hair the Worst!

Hi Everyone!

I'm only 2 weeks into the Curly Girl regime and have been finding that my hair looks the worst on wash days. Shouldn't it be the opposite? I no-poo every 4 days, followed with a rinse out conditioner (both DevaCurl original); while soaking wet, apply a leave-in (As I Am or Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Smoothie), then a gel (Eco Argan Oil), all while my head is upside down. I've been experimenting with plopping or squeezing out excess water with a t-shirt, but the results are always the same - as soon as I flip my hair back over, it looks like a rat's nest that needs a good combing. Most of the hair falls the way it should, but a good majority also gets caught and stays on top of my head or halfway up without falling. When I try to bring them down, frizz immediately develops and some of the strands lose their wave. I feel this might be a technique/application issue, rather than a product issue.

Apart from the halo of crown frizz I have on days 2 and 3, they're my best days - almost ringlets. I want gorgeous first day hair! What to do?
New to the Curly Girl Method
Used to be a 2c/3a, but have been straightening hair for 6 years and am now a 2b/2c. Hoping to revive my curls and have them return to what they were.
Low Porosity
High Density
Feeling overwhelmed and have lots of questions!

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Depending on how bad your hair looked before beginning, it may take at least a month or even three to get the results you want. It's trial and error. It's probably the technique. You may also find that you may not need to do some of the things you are currently doing as you continue on your journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • FluffyFontaineFluffyFontaine Registered Users Posts: 2
    Depending on how bad your hair looked before beginning, it may take at least a month or even three to get the results you want. It's trial and error. It's probably the technique. You may also find that you may not need to do some of the things you are currently doing as you continue on your journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    Thanks for the response, Multicultcurly!
    New to the Curly Girl Method
    Used to be a 2c/3a, but have been straightening hair for 6 years and am now a 2b/2c. Hoping to revive my curls and have them return to what they were.
    Low Porosity
    High Density
    Feeling overwhelmed and have lots of questions!
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I think that sometimes unhappy first-day hair can occur if the hair is overconditioned or if too much product is applied. It can take a while for the hair to absorb the excess product/conditioner, after which it will look better.

I also have issues with frizz after product application. What I do is apply product with my head upside down and scrunch it in enough that my hair is no longer dripping wet. Then I turn my head upright and move the hair around where I need it--which causes the dreaded frizz. After my hair is arranged the way I want it, I add more water into my hair from the sink faucet, just with my hands. Scrunching more water in calms the frizz and re-creates the clumps that were destroyed. After I feel that my hair is clumped like I want it, I then go in with a t-shirt and blot out excess water and proceed to diffusing, or clipping/air drying.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I think that sometimes unhappy first-day hair can occur if the hair is overconditioned or if too much product is applied. It can take a while for the hair to absorb the excess product/conditioner, after which it will look better.

I also have issues with frizz after product application. What I do is apply product with my head upside down and scrunch it in enough that my hair is no longer dripping wet. Then I turn my head upright and move the hair around where I need it--which causes the dreaded frizz. After my hair is arranged the way I want it, I add more water into my hair from the sink faucet, just with my hands. Scrunching more water in calms the frizz and re-creates the clumps that were destroyed. After I feel that my hair is clumped like I want it, I then go in with a t-shirt and blot out excess water and proceed to diffusing, or clipping/air drying.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file