2b with 1 and 3 strands- possible?! Uniformity even a possibility?

sanicurlsanicurl Posts: 6Registered Users
Hi,

I am pretty new to the curly girl method! I have been washing with a sulfate free shampoo for about three weeks now a couple of times a week, though I did use heat several times in those weeks. My hair has years of dying and heat damage- I've generally worn it straight or curl ironed it. Surprisingly, my hair seems to have a low porosity despite this with an unfortunate canopy of frizz on top. I did the porosity test and my hair floated for hours. I also tried putting coconut oil on it before I did the test, and it just sat on top of my hair and made the whole thing look greasy.

I washed it today and used some conditioner but put it no other product, nor scrunched or touched it. This is about four hours after I washed it. There are a few strands on top that seem to be pretty straight- maybe because they are the shortest layers? Yet underneath I have a couple of ringlets! What wave/curl pattern would you classify my hair? I would LOVE to wear my hair natural daily and am stopping heat for a few weeks to see if that is even a possibility. Do you think uniformity and minimal frizz will ever be possible? Thanks so much!!

FYI: I am armed with a diffuser, Herbal Essences Twisting Mousse, Garnier Triple Nourishing Conditioner, Ecostyler Hair Gel, and Natursilk Leave in conditioner. I am planning on getting a heating cap to steam-in leave-in treatments!

Comments

• sanicurlsanicurl Posts: 6Registered Users
    This picture shows the variety of waves/curls in my hair! Thanks so much in advance, everyone- this forum has been an inspiration to say the least!
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you want to see your true curl potential, you have to stop using heat completely. Otherwise you will keep damaging your hair. It will never curl the way undamaged hair will, so you have to grow in your hair (and not damage it) to learn your true curl pattern. However, your hair would probably benefit from both protein and moisture. That will help your hair health and curl. Also, using the right products and techniques will also help boost your curl greatly. So overall, it may be difficult to peg down your pattern until you give yourself more time.

As far as porosity, your hair is almost certainly not low porosity if you've been using heat to straighten it. Though there are exceptions. If you're using the float test on here it's not accurate. The two things that help determine porosity more accurately (other than a true hair analysis) is drying time, and also how your hair behaves with product (does it soak it up, does it coat your hair and feel like it just sits on top, or something in between?). 6+ hours drying time = low porosity. I forgot the others.. I think 2 hours = high porosity, and 2-6 = medium.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    If you want to see your true curl potential, you have to stop using heat completely. Otherwise you will keep damaging your hair. It will never curl the way undamaged hair will, so you have to grow in your hair (and not damage it) to learn your true curl pattern. However, your hair would probably benefit from both protein and moisture. That will help your hair health and curl. Also, using the right products and techniques will also help boost your curl greatly. So overall, it may be difficult to peg down your pattern until you give yourself more time.

As far as porosity, your hair is almost certainly not low porosity if you've been using heat to straighten it. Though there are exceptions. If you're using the float test on here it's not accurate. The two things that help determine porosity more accurately (other than a true hair analysis) is drying time, and also how your hair behaves with product (does it soak it up, does it coat your hair and feel like it just sits on top, or something in between?). 6+ hours drying time = low porosity. I forgot the others.. I think 2 hours = high porosity, and 2-6 = medium.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    naturecat wrote: »

Thanks so much! I am definitely stopping all heat. I rarely used a straightener- I just blew it out straight after letting airdry halfway so maybe it was less damaging that way? And I never did it more than a couple of times a week.

My hair took around five hours to dry today. It depends on the product; for instance, coconut oil sits right on top of my hair. I've noticed that using product while my hair is still soaking wet helps my hair absorb the product much better. It seems like my porosity is more medium?

I will take your advice and start looking for ways to add protein to my hair!
    I used to blow my hair straight too. It is damaging unfortunately. I did that every other day for a few years, but eventually you grow out the damage and swap it for curlier hair. :)

With regard to drying time, it's meant to be drying time without product. Coconut oil is tricky. It takes 8 hours to truly penetrate the hair shaft, hence why people often use it as an overnight pre-poo.

The best protein treatment for me is gelatin. Though it pains me to say it, as I'm a vegetarian/vegan, but nothing else works as well for me. There are products with protein in them however. Hydrolyzed proteins are the ones that penetrate the hair shaft.

I'm not sure about your porosity. Though low porosity people do tend to do better with product on soaking wet hair (and this was certainly true for me when my hair was super low po) I think it does absorb better in general on wetter hair. Does product tend to just sit on your hair even on wet hair? How long does your hair take to dry without product?

Anyway I suspect you have a lot more curl hiding in your hair waiting for the right moment to emerge. :) And congrats on making the decision to stop heat. It will be worth it in the long run.

3A/f/i
    I used to blow my hair straight too. It is damaging unfortunately. I did that every other day for a few years, but eventually you grow out the damage and swap it for curlier hair. :)

With regard to drying time, it's meant to be drying time without product. Coconut oil is tricky. It takes 8 hours to truly penetrate the hair shaft, hence why people often use it as an overnight pre-poo.

The best protein treatment for me is gelatin. Though it pains me to say it, as I'm a vegetarian/vegan, but nothing else works as well for me. There are products with protein in them however. Hydrolyzed proteins are the ones that penetrate the hair shaft.

I'm not sure about your porosity. Though low porosity people do tend to do better with product on soaking wet hair (and this was certainly true for me when my hair was super low po) I think it does absorb better in general on wetter hair. Does product tend to just sit on your hair even on wet hair? How long does your hair take to dry without product?

Anyway I suspect you have a lot more curl hiding in your hair waiting for the right moment to emerge. :) And congrats on making the decision to stop heat. It will be worth it in the long run.

3A/f/i
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,527Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hello! It sounds to me like your porosity is probably medium to low (that is, on the lower end of medium). That is how I classify my hair. It doesn't take a horribly long time to dry, but it gets easily weighed down, I can see water droplets sit on my hair after I spritz it with water (the water doesn't immediately soak in), and my hair gets build-up easily.

Naturecat has some good ideas. With regard to the protein, I would be careful as you test it out. Sometimes low-porosity hair can get dry, brittle, and frizzy with too much protein. If you don't want to do the gelatin treatment, you could start with a protein-rich conditioner and see how it goes. If you find that you get increased curl and bouncier curls, then it was a success. You can keep using the protein, but when your hair starts to act weird (usually brittle/dry/frizzy), it's time to stop and let your hair adjust (some of the protein will need to wear off before you add more; this usually takes a couple of weeks).

Another thing to be on the lookout for is buildup. I have noticed that I actually need to shampoo the ends of my hair twice (I use just a little shampoo for the second round), or else they retain buildup. Once I started shampooing the ends of my hair twice, my conditioner soaked in much more easily and I needed only about half as much. So that's something else to keep in mind, if your hair is prone to buildup.

You haven't been doing CG for all that long yet, so I think you will definitely see lots more improvement. For me, it took maybe a year of learning how to care for my hair before I started to see a more uniform pattern. Having to wait at least six months is not at all unusual.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,527Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hello! It sounds to me like your porosity is probably medium to low (that is, on the lower end of medium). That is how I classify my hair. It doesn't take a horribly long time to dry, but it gets easily weighed down, I can see water droplets sit on my hair after I spritz it with water (the water doesn't immediately soak in), and my hair gets build-up easily.

Naturecat has some good ideas. With regard to the protein, I would be careful as you test it out. Sometimes low-porosity hair can get dry, brittle, and frizzy with too much protein. If you don't want to do the gelatin treatment, you could start with a protein-rich conditioner and see how it goes. If you find that you get increased curl and bouncier curls, then it was a success. You can keep using the protein, but when your hair starts to act weird (usually brittle/dry/frizzy), it's time to stop and let your hair adjust (some of the protein will need to wear off before you add more; this usually takes a couple of weeks).

Another thing to be on the lookout for is buildup. I have noticed that I actually need to shampoo the ends of my hair twice (I use just a little shampoo for the second round), or else they retain buildup. Once I started shampooing the ends of my hair twice, my conditioner soaked in much more easily and I needed only about half as much. So that's something else to keep in mind, if your hair is prone to buildup.

You haven't been doing CG for all that long yet, so I think you will definitely see lots more improvement. For me, it took maybe a year of learning how to care for my hair before I started to see a more uniform pattern. Having to wait at least six months is not at all unusual.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Duplicate post
    I think you might be right, naturecat- it seems like there is a lot more curl than I expected!

To answer your questions, my hair took a little over five hours to air dry without product. I have noticed a couple products that sit on top of my hair, even when wet, but I haven't paid enough attention to know if it was just those specific products or if it is a common thing. I will definitely keep an eye out. I usually keep my hair in braids in the summer, so hopefully those three months off every year has spared my hair somewhat, though I doubt it.I think I'll treat my hair as medium porosity for now- does that make sense? Do you have any recommendations for how to get gelatin in my hair? Any specific products or methods?

I made the top layer of my hair last night soaking wet with hot water, then added some EVOO. I washed it out today with conditioner, then took Therese1's advice and washed the ends twice with sulfate free shampoo. I did a little bit of sulfate free shampoo in the top of my head, then did the squish to condish method. I added mousse and ecostyler gel. I dried a bit with a microfiber towel, then plopped about ten minutes with a tshirt and diffused until about 80 percent dry. I scrunched the crunched out (though I really just wanted to touch my hair so did this too much!) My hair is much softer overall, especially the underneath bits. The pattern already seems to be much more uniform and I am really happy with the volume. Any tips to keep it nice tomorrow??
    Duplicate post
    Excellent improvement. Much more uniform pattern. And it's only the beginning. :) Anyway very nice hair. Here is a link to the gelatin protein treatment. If it's too strong you can dilute it to your liking.
    Unfortunately due to a computer glitch I can't post links right now, but google "ia girl's protein treatment" and you'll be brought to a page where she gives the recipe. You don't need apple cider vinegar, just gelatin and water.

3A/f/i
    Excellent improvement. Much more uniform pattern. And it's only the beginning. :) Anyway very nice hair. Here is a link to the gelatin protein treatment. If it's too strong you can dilute it to your liking.
    Unfortunately due to a computer glitch I can't post links right now, but google "ia girl's protein treatment" and you'll be brought to a page where she gives the recipe. You don't need apple cider vinegar, just gelatin and water.

3A/f/i
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Give your hair some time, a full CG transition is usually a year or more, as the damaged hair grows out and etc. Stop using heat and remember for type 2 hair less is more. If air drying be sure to not touch the hair while it air dries. It isn't uncommon for some people to have multiple hair types - I have 2a pieces on my canopy and 3a ringlets underneath, and a mix of 2b and 2c throughout the rest of my hair.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file