CurlTalk

NaturallyCurly Community... I need your help

Fencer300Fencer300 Posts: 3Registered Users
I won't lie, I've been looking for a place to vent for a long time. I live in Egypt, where curly hair is in abundance but all the guys simply gel up their hair, which not only looks repulsive (like you could break it with a hammer), get an undercut (like I got), or keratin treatment.

I feel like my hair has potential, but I'm so lost on what to do. My mother has straight hair, so I had my hair brushed for years even though Im 3b-c, which means it always came up as a poof. I decided to start the new school year with a new haircut and henna'd the top in what I thought was a sick cut. I still kinda like my hair but oh my god the comments I received. A teacher walked up to me and said "You look like a taxi driver"and I've been called macaroni head and teased. The only other boy in school who had hair like mine got his keratined and now I won't lie I'm jealous of his hair.

I use Garnier Fructis Body Boost Conditioner when I come to shower because my hair looks flat when its wet, and then use Garner Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave-in after patting with a cotton t-shirt (which breaks my big curls into small ones, and if I don't use a t-shirt my hair stays wet for HOURS)

Here is an image album of my hair in different conditions

Any suggestions are welcome, how should I apply product? How should I dry? How should I style and should I attempt to loosen my curls? Honestly I'm just tired of getting teased, you can only shrug off so much...

Comments

• ShelleyCookShelleyCook Posts: 54Registered Users
    First of all, I am so sorry you're getting teased. Kids can be very mean. For that matter, adults can be too. I clicked on your image w/expectations of badly styled hair & ready to give suggestions on how to help. After I clicked on the link I was like "What?! This is cool hair!!" Great cut w/short on the sides & back & showing the curls on top.

If you really want to see the maximum potential of your hair, start the Curly Girl/Guy Method. It's originally called the Curly Girl Method but it works for Guys too, of course. Make it simple. Start with a sulfate shampoo free of silicones to clarify and get out all the old product. Then start using sulfate and silicone free hair products. Wash & condition in the shower. Rinse out or leave in the conditioner. Use your fingers or a wide tooth comb to detangle in shower w/conditioner in the hair. You'll need to experiment. Slightly pat your hair w/a t-shirt just to get out a small amount of excess water. Mix conditioner w/gel & apply to all your hair. Let air dry. If you have a crunchy look or don't want the curls flat to your head, scrunch out the crunch with your hands. Again you'll need to experiment to see if you need a leave in only or leave in w/gel or curl cream. Lots of different.

Please keep us updated on how you feel about CGM. I know it's hard to shrug off what the kids say but seriously you have a great cut and seem to be styling well. I think if you try CGM you'll like your hair even more.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Shampoo - Shikai Tea Tree Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner - Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    Leave In Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    Scrunch out the Crunch - coconut oil
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I totally agree with everything that was just said. Your hair is really cool! Kids are just mean, and will tease anyone, even the most "perfect" person. They're probably jealous of your curls/hair! Don't let it get you down, OK?? And I second the curly girl/guy method suggestion too, it made a DRASTIC change in my hair when I started it. My hair is healthy, shinier, has way less frizz, and it's even more curly now, I love it. You'll probably like it too. Good luck with your hair, OK?

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • Fencer300Fencer300 Posts: 3Registered Users
    First of all, I am so sorry you're getting teased. Kids can be very mean. For that matter, adults can be too. I clicked on your image w/expectations of badly styled hair & ready to give suggestions on how to help. After I clicked on the link I was like "What?! This is cool hair!!" Great cut w/short on the sides & back & showing the curls on top.

If you really want to see the maximum potential of your hair, start the Curly Girl/Guy Method. It's originally called the Curly Girl Method but it works for Guys too, of course. Make it simple. Start with a sulfate shampoo free of silicones to clarify and get out all the old product. Then start using sulfate and silicone free hair products. Wash & condition in the shower. Rinse out or leave in the conditioner. Use your fingers or a wide tooth comb to detangle in shower w/conditioner in the hair. You'll need to experiment. Slightly pat your hair w/a t-shirt just to get out a small amount of excess water. Mix conditioner w/gel & apply to all your hair. Let air dry. If you have a crunchy look or don't want the curls flat to your head, scrunch out the crunch with your hands. Again you'll need to experiment to see if you need a leave in only or leave in w/gel or curl cream. Lots of different.

Thank you so much for your kind words! I just want to get the most I can out of my hair. I tried it out and I can already see a reduction in frizz and better curls, so thank you for that as well! Now the final road bump is how to apply leave-in without breaking my freshly showered curls? Running my hands through my hair breaks up the curls and turns them into either frizz or a bunch of small ones.
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When that happens to me, I add more water right after, and I get my clumps back, then I scrunch with a t-shirt :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • Fencer300Fencer300 Posts: 3Registered Users
    3O2n6sc.jpg
    Its working! Thank you so much for telling me that trick :p. Final question: My hair is pretty long in contrast to the photo, like if I pull on a curl it'll reach the tip of my nose. Is there a way to get my curls to grow down instead of up?
  • ShelleyCookShelleyCook Posts: 54Registered Users
    Shorter hair is going to grow up. But that's ok. It looks great. I see a good difference from the first pictures you shared & I thought it looked good already. Your curls are larger & more defined.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    CG since 2009. Fine 2C

Shampoo - Shikai Tea Tree Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner - Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    Leave In Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler - Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme (gel) - looking for replacement b/c discontinued
    Scrunch out the Crunch - coconut oil
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,307Registered Users
    Curls are going to grow up just because they're short and free of weight. You can clip certain pieces down or even use a beanie or something. I personally love big hair and would use a pick.

When you hennaed your hair how did you get it so bright without bleaching?

I still think your hair is awesome! I think when something is common or considered a norm, people just tease or want you to conform to the status quo. You'd have some pretty rad hair if you were going to highschool here to be honest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower: