3A/B newb help

SarahNCSarahNC Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi ya'll! I'm not sure if this is the best place to start, but I'm very overwhelmed by this whole new lifestyle. I've used sulfate free shampoo, and washed only twice a week for a long time, then dove into Devacurl products and have been using their NoPoo and the rest of the starter set. I'm trying to find help with a routine, and hoping to hear that maybe I don't need to put 500 different things in my hair.

Hair is 3A/B, normal texture, normal porosity, and thick (I think)

What I want is for my hair to be soft to the touch, maintain it's curl, and frizz less. I used to be able to achieve this back when I would go back and forth from straight to curly with Pureology shampoo and Pantene conditioner, and using Aveda curl style prep and some other discontinued Aveda product, but since I'm trying to stay away from all the "bad" ingredients, I'm having trouble replicating it.

Devacurl-The NoPoo works well enough, but it makes my scalp feel itchy and a there are a few dry flakes. The One Condition is nice, and if I use that as a cowash, and then leave some in, my hair almost achieves what I'm looking for, just not as defined. The rest of the products so far (ArcAngel, Light gel, BLeaveN, Coconut Cream Styler) seem to work at first, but my hair always feel a little dry/straw like by the end of the day, and tends to frizz by then. The MisterRight just makes it a weird sticky/stringy mess.

Carol's Daughter-I tried the black vanilla shampoo, and it was very drying, so I know I need to stick with NoPoo or cowash. The Clay conditioner felt really nice, and then I put the Hair Milk in-it feels fantastic, but it is stringy and greasy looking.

I "think" I need low/no protein, low emollient, but honestly...I have no idea.
Total newbie Dec 2016
3A/B
Normal/Medium Porosity
Normal/Medium Texture
Normal Elasticity

Comments

• jenjenbobenjenjenboben Posts: 12Registered Users
    Everyone's hair likes different things. I'll tell you what I use and it's not a lot. First i will say I purchased a Deva Towel a couple of weeks ago and it has made a huge difference!

I don't use any particular condish to co wash with. Sometimes it's Giovanni 50/50, sometimes it's a SheaMoisture condish, or whatever I have on hand (all CG friendly). What has been working really well for me recently is after I rinse out my condish, I flip my hair over (still in the shower) and put about 2 quarter sized amounts of LA Looks Blue Sport Gel and I mix it in with SheaMoisture Black Castor Leave In (this I use a little more of than the gel). Run it through my hair from top to bottom and making sure I flip my hair back over and really work it through my crown. Then I plop with the Deva Towel anywhere from 10-20 minutes while I'm getting ready and (if I have time) I diffuse with my hair flipped over mostly to nearly completely dry. For me it takes about 20-30 minutes.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about frizz and someone mentioned ensuring you get product on your crown. I always thought I did, but apparently I didn't do it well enough. Now I have minimal frizz and my curls look fab!
    CG since 4/15/12
    3A with a little 3B here and there
    So Far....

Co-wash: Giovanni 50/50; Any SM Condish
    Style: SM Black Castor Condish mixed with LA Looks Sport, plop, diffuse, SOTC. That's it!

:blob3::wav:
  • jenjenbobenjenjenboben Posts: 12Registered Users
    Duplicate post
    CG since 4/15/12
    3A with a little 3B here and there
    So Far....

Co-wash: Giovanni 50/50; Any SM Condish
    Style: SM Black Castor Condish mixed with LA Looks Sport, plop, diffuse, SOTC. That's it!

:blob3::wav:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi ya'll! I'm not sure if this is the best place to start, but I'm very overwhelmed by this whole new lifestyle. I've used sulfate free shampoo, and washed only twice a week for a long time, then dove into Devacurl products and have been using their NoPoo and the rest of the starter set. I'm trying to find help with a routine, and hoping to hear that maybe I don't need to put 500 different things in my hair.

What I want is for my hair to be soft to the touch, maintain it's curl, and frizz less. I used to be able to achieve this back when I would go back and forth from straight to curly with Pureology shampoo and Pantene conditioner, and using Aveda curl style prep and some other discontinued Aveda product, but since I'm trying to stay away from all the "bad" ingredients, I'm having trouble replicating it.

Devacurl-The NoPoo works well enough, but it makes my scalp feel itchy and a there are a few dry flakes. The One Condition is nice, and if I use that as a cowash, and then leave some in, my hair almost achieves what I'm looking for, just not as defined. The rest of the products so far (ArcAngel, Light gel, BLeaveN, Coconut Cream Styler) seem to work at first, but my hair always feel a little dry/straw like by the end of the day, and tends to frizz by then. The MisterRight just makes it a weird sticky/stringy mess.

Carol's Daughter-I tried the black vanilla shampoo, and it was very drying, so I know I need to stick with NoPoo or cowash. The Clay conditioner felt really nice, and then I put the Hair Milk in-it feels fantastic, but it is stringy and greasy looking.

I think there is a chance you might be protein sensitive to be honest. A lot if not all of the Deva products contain some form of wheat protein, hops, and polyquats can also be weird for some people. The reason why No Poo and one condition might be doing you good is because I believe No Poo comes right out and one condition doesn't have the protein. Your hair might be a good candidate for Curl Junkie. I think you'd love it and your hair will come out great every time. Curl Junkie is great and I think they have enough products for me and most people. My hair is weird about glycerin for example and I have love that I can use protein free and glycerin free products. I would highly reccomend switching to Daily Fix, CJ conditioners, the leave in and CJ stylers. Pattern Pusha and Curls in a Bottle are my favorite. I can understand not wanting to buy products anymore as well. I personally cannot afford spending a lot of money on products anymore and I am just working on minimizing waste and using the simplest things possible. For example, I actually buy my conditioner in bulk via a mason jar that I tier at my grocery store lol. I'm currently finishing up products that I have (this includes Pattern Pusha gel and then Kinky Curly Curling Custard once I'm out of it). I find FSG works best for me and I might just get things I can get on the ground or make myself from now on. I think it's worth experimenting and finding what makes you happy. I will say though, protein sensitivity can suck sometimes but it helps narrow down choices which can be a plus lol. :)
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I think there is a chance you might be protein sensitive to be honest. A lot if not all of the Deva products contain some form of wheat protein, hops, and polyquats can also be weird for some people. The reason why No Poo and one condition might be doing you good is because I believe No Poo comes right out and one condition doesn't have the protein. Your hair might be a good candidate for Curl Junkie. I think you'd love it and your hair will come out great every time. Curl Junkie is great and I think they have enough products for me and most people. My hair is weird about glycerin for example and I have love that I can use protein free and glycerin free products. I would highly reccomend switching to Daily Fix, CJ conditioners, the leave in and CJ stylers. Pattern Pusha and Curls in a Bottle are my favorite. I can understand not wanting to buy products anymore as well. I personally cannot afford spending a lot of money on products anymore and I am just working on minimizing waste and using the simplest things possible. For example, I actually buy my conditioner in bulk via a mason jar that I tier at my grocery store lol. I'm currently finishing up products that I have (this includes Pattern Pusha gel and then Kinky Curly Curling Custard once I'm out of it). I find FSG works best for me and I might just get things I can get on the ground or make myself from now on. I think it's worth experimenting and finding what makes you happy. I will say though, protein sensitivity can suck sometimes but it helps narrow down choices which can be a plus lol. :)
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • SlinkyheadSlinkyhead Posts: 100Registered Users
    If you're having trouble with your hair not feeling soft, you probably need to deep condition. Even though my hair is healthy, I use a deep conditioner once a week to maintain it. Some masks are more moisture-focused and others protein-focused. A little protein is a great thing if you're not sensitive, it makes your curls spring up and gives them strength. Coloring your hair, especially with lightener can really break those protein bonds and make your hair limp and lose curl. Too much makes it brittle feeling.

Since you just started the curly girl method, your hair will go through stages. Its not weird for your scalp to be itchy during this time. Actually, its going to be hard to figure out if its actually the No Poo giving you the trouble for a while. Most-likely its because you need to exfoliate your scalp from using sulfates and silicones for so long. When I started almost 6 months ago, my head itched like crazy until I did a couple exfoliating treatments to really clarify my scalp and get rid of any dryness/flakiness. I also massaged nightly with a few drops of essential oils like lavender or rosemary mixed with jojoba.
    No Poo is an awesome product, but sometimes people don't really rinse if off enough and if they don't massage their scalp with it well and fully rinse, residue left behind can irritate. Personally, I double-wash with it. I have a lot of hair so it helps to wash twice with it. My hair actually feels softer when I do this, also helps with detangling. Deva products work best with lots of water in your hair because they're water soluble. The wetter your hair the better. You can even "pre-poo" with no poo to jumpstart everything, just smooth it on dry hair about 20 mins before you wash.
    Your scalp and hair are going through an adjustment, it can take a few weeks for it to normalize. What happened to me first is that my scalp freaked out and made more oil for about a week, now it is very normal and doesn't get greasy for several days.
    If after some time you feel that the no poo is still causing an itch, you could be sensitive to something in it. However, I feel a lot of people use deva products incorrectly so they don't get good results so you'll see a lot of people on here kind of trash-talking those products.
    If you're hair is feeling dry, you still might need to actually clarify some of those old products out-they aren't water soluble so they coat the hair which makes it not take in moisture. Pantene has so many silicones, its one of the worst for coating your hair. I had to clarify a few times before I could tell the products were working. B'leavin, supercream, arcangel, they all have a lot of moisture. Try different combos of them, not always a need to use a ton of products. I leave in some of my one condition, then sometimes go straight to gel, or sometimes just a cream. One condition on its own works great sometimes too, it has good hold. Just check and see how many products have protein in the first 5-6 ingredients and only use one leave-in product or styler that has it at a time. If you're using a leave-in and 2 stylers with protein you're likely going to get a brittle feel. B'leavein and gel alone work great, just watch leaving in one condition with b'leavin because they both have a little protein. I get the best results when my hair is very wet, i do this all in the shower then scrunch with microfiber, airdry or wait 30 mins for the products to 'set' then diffuse.
    Product lines/Brands work best when you use only products from one brand at a time. They're formulated with this in mind. I'm not saying don't experiment, but don't be surprised when some ingredients just don't play nicely together. The only time I stray is with hair masks, I love shea moisture masks, but I also love deva heaven in hair! Add heat/steam to those masks and you can tell a difference right away. How you apply the products makes a huge difference too, results vary person to person, but I love to rake creams in soaking wet hair then smooth it down with the praying hands method, then scrunch (if i'm using gel i'll scrunch it in at this stage) you can hear the water squish.
    check out 'hif3licia' on instagram and youtube, great tutorials!

Best of luck on your new hair journey!

Type: 3a | NP | med-fine but high den | bob
    NP: Deva NP, DC low poo, ACV rinses
    RO: Deva 1 Cond orig or decadence
    DC: DC HIC, SM JBCO mask
    LI: 1 Cond, B'leavin
    Styler: Deva SPC or reg SC
    Gels: DC LDG, Bouncecurl
    Refresh: water w Lavender oil.
    Scalp: Lav/jojoba/rosem/pep oils.
    Airdry, wait 30 mins before diffusing.
    Loves a little protein in stylers! Hates heavy stuff.
    Double - post again! Then it locks you out for five mins...which is why I'm posting less and less on this forum even though I love it. Nobody got time for that!

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Slinkyhead wrote: »
    Double - post again! Then it locks you out for five mins...which is why I'm posting less and less on this forum even though I love it. Nobody got time for that!

No one seems to care about fixing it--been this way for months now. Yes, I post much less frequently here too. It's sad--I wonder if they're just planning on discontinuing the site.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • SarahNCSarahNC Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks! After reading Live Curly, Live Free I was thinking more and more that it was a porosity/protein issue.
    Total newbie Dec 2016
    3A/B
    Normal/Medium Porosity
    Normal/Medium Texture
    Normal Elasticity
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another thing you may want to watch for--glycerin and epsom salt. I've heard of problems with Deva Curl drying peoples' hair out (I think due to the magnesium sulfate, which is epsom salt). What I've heard reports of are that it worked okay initially, then over time peoples' hair got straw-like. Glycerin can also cause similar effects for some people when used in styling products.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    SarahNC wrote: »
    Thanks! After reading Live Curly, Live Free I was thinking more and more that it was a porosity/protein issue.

You might have either of those, very possible. I just meant to say that it takes a while for your hair to adjust when doing this, especially if you've been using the products you listed before you went CG like pantene. Pantene is like shrinkwrap for your hair. When I first started, the hairdresser (specializing in curls) said I had low porosity hair, fast-forward 5 months and a different curly hairdresser said I have normal porosity. I think the first one thought I was low because I had buildup and when I started I used Shea Moisture smoothie and wayyyyy too much of it lol. I also had an ombre balayage (bleach + toner) on my ends as well as a demiperm base color. Those parts were the worst, straight to loose waves and stringy, not thick like the rest of my hair, It took regular trims to get those off and for my curls to bounce back. My hair is still transitioning from heat and color. It will probably be a full year before I see the real potential. Even though my hair is much healthier, the curl pattern on the ends isn't consistent all over..the only option is to grow it out and keep cutting off those ends. Its not unusual to have a couple different porosities on your head, especially if you have colored hair which I think you do from your avatar. My only real point is just give it some time and definitely do a porosity test if you think thats the source of your struggles. Good luck and do tell us how its going from time-to-time! :-) Its exciting to see the little changes after each deep treatment, trim or wash! This forum is great to keep you motivated on those days where you just like "gimma frickin round brush already" lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file